The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

How do students which have completed the BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in IT find the Computer Science courses?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by ajp100688
In a word no. There's only a few subwardens per block and the only thing they do is fire alarm roll calls and coming to your flat if you're being too noisy. Theoretically speaking, if your flatmates didn't care, you could have someone stay for a whole year and as long as the cleaners didn't notice, QMUL would never know. So to get back to your question, if you want friends over for a couple days to stay in your room don't bother registering them, it's a pointless bit of hassle, I never did.

Which accommodation do you recommend? I am thinking of applying to Pooley :biggrin:
Reply 862
Original post by jonchoongqx
Which accommodation do you recommend? I am thinking of applying to Pooley :biggrin:

Unless the system has changed since I was in halls a few years back, you are unable to choose an actual building and instead just choose your preffered price bracket.

I was in Pooley and loved it. There is 7 per flat, cleaners come round regularly, big kitchens and it was very social (although obviously this just depends on who lives there each year).
Original post by .Scout.
Unless the system has changed since I was in halls a few years back, you are unable to choose an actual building and instead just choose your preffered price bracket.

I was in Pooley and loved it. There is 7 per flat, cleaners come round regularly, big kitchens and it was very social (although obviously this just depends on who lives there each year).

When did you start applying for accomodation? Perhaps I could get Pooley if I apply earlier? I've just sent an email to them to confirm about this :biggrin:
I'd say Pooley is the best, biggest flats so the biggest chance of making good friends, decent price point (although the cost of the student village is getting stupid these days) and the rooms are pretty big compared to some of the smaller blocks. It's not France but I'd rather not pay stupid France prices.

Thank you! Decided on Pooley :biggrin:
Are the basketball facilities at QM complete?
I had a question for current Law students. How is Law at QM in general and do you have a chance of getting recruited from MC firms with a good law degree from QM? :smile: Thanks
Reply 867
Hi all.
I got an offer from QM for computer science. I went to royal holloway and then I dropped out and did my maths a level again. I didnt like my course at Royal holloway and I hated the place, we were basically in middle of nowhere,
my question is how is QM city life? I know that it is like 10 15 mins away from central, but how is the life around campus at night? because I am a type of person who doesnt really party alot but I love to be somewhere where it is busy, active, alive, thank you
Reply 868
Original post by SaharEsf
Hi all.
I got an offer from QM for computer science. I went to royal holloway and then I dropped out and did my maths a level again. I didnt like my course at Royal holloway and I hated the place, we were basically in middle of nowhere,
my question is how is QM city life? I know that it is like 10 15 mins away from central, but how is the life around campus at night? because I am a type of person who doesnt really party alot but I love to be somewhere where it is busy, active, alive, thank you

The area around QMUL is pretty residential, to the West you have Stepney and Whitechapel and ultimately the City, to the East Bow and Stratford, to the North the fringes of Bethnal Green and Hackney and towards the south Limehouse and the Docklands. Despite this it's residential in a London sense, so it's very dense and always active, there's restaurants, pubs and shopping areas everywhere. If you explore a little further you have Shoreditch just past Bethnal Green, which I don't need to explain about. The Olympic Park including Westfield Stratford is about as far east from the campus as Shoreditch is the opposite way (or one stop on the Central Line). Then of course there is Central London itself, which is ridiculously easy to access by the Central Line to the extent it just becomes an extension of the 'local area', I could get to Oxford Street from QMUL quicker than I can get into my local town centre from where I live now.

Needless to say if you hated the seclusion of RHUL then QMUL is the polar opposite and should suit you down to a tee once you adapt to London life.
Reply 869
The area around QMUL is pretty residential, to the West you have Stepney and Whitechapel and ultimately the City, to the East Bow and Stratford, to the North the fringes of Bethnal Green and Hackney and towards the south Limehouse and the Docklands. Despite this it's residential in a London sense, so it's very dense and always active, there's restaurants, pubs and shopping areas everywhere. If you explore a little further you have Shoreditch just past Bethnal Green, which I don't need to explain about. The Olympic Park including Westfield Stratford is about as far east from the campus as Shoreditch is the opposite way (or one stop on the Central Line). Then of course there is Central London itself, which is ridiculously easy to access by the Central Line to the extent it just becomes an extension of the 'local area', I could get to Oxford Street from QMUL quicker than I can get into my local town centre from where I live now.

Needless to say if you hated the seclusion of RHUL then QMUL is the polar opposite and should suit you down to a tee once you adapt to London life.

Thabk you so much for your reply! This was really helpful. Thorough ! Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
Hello people. Basically I've just got an offer for History and German from QMUL. And whenever I've been it's been ridiculously expensive in central London so was wondering whether people live off their student loan or struggle to. It would be awesome to live in London but for the accommodation, essentials (food), the underground and nights out can a student really afford it? The money is the only thing holding me back otherwise I would put as my firm. Thank you!!
Original post by tomb1994
Hello people. Basically I've just got an offer for History and German from QMUL. And whenever I've been it's been ridiculously expensive in central London so was wondering whether people live off their student loan or struggle to. It would be awesome to live in London but for the accommodation, essentials (food), the underground and nights out can a student really afford it? The money is the only thing holding me back otherwise I would put as my firm. Thank you!!

Gonna have to say, that you need think about this thoroughly.
Make up a weekly budget, then from it work out the costs for a year. But I would say you need about £3000-£4000 on top of what you get already from the loads and grant or bursary if you get any. Maybe less or more, depends on the person.
Reply 872
Original post by Iqbal007
Gonna have to say, that you need think about this thoroughly.
Make up a weekly budget, then from it work out the costs for a year. But I would say you need about £3000-£4000 on top of what you get already from the loads and grant or bursary if you get any. Maybe less or more, depends on the person.

Thanks mate will have a go and see whether I can afford it or not! :smile:
Reply 873
You get a larger loan if you study in London. I entirely self funded my studying via student loans and bursaries and survived just fine in central London. I mean it's not as though I was going on holiday yearly or spending hundreds of pounds on clothes but yeah it's totally possible to live in Central LDN on student loans and no you won't need £3-4k on top of the loans as the above poster stated.

Alright thanks mate! I saw you get £1200 from the university for studying there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 874
If you're in the lowest income bracket for your student loans then yeah, that's what I was receiving.

Right I've worked it out I'm probably going to get just over £6,000 for my maintenance loan, just over £3,000 for my maintenance grant and £1,200 from the bursary from Queen Mary. Also I'll get about £50-£60 from my parents each week. Do you think that'll be enough? Thanks.
Hey! Since QM is located right by St. Barts are there many sirens that can be heard from the student halls? Also, are the student halls new and clean? Which ones would you suggest? Thanks :smile:
Original post by tomb1994
Right I've worked it out I'm probably going to get just over £6,000 for my maintenance loan, just over £3,000 for my maintenance grant and £1,200 from the bursary from Queen Mary. Also I'll get about £50-£60 from my parents each week. Do you think that'll be enough? Thanks.

The bursary for me is around £1,500........the new ones are closer to £1,800. Seems like quite a lot.

Original post by Backwardsrainbow
Hey! Since QM is located right by St. Barts are there many sirens that can be heard from the student halls? Also, are the student halls new and clean? Which ones would you suggest? Thanks :smile:

Well its campus based, I would say more sirens on the main road. It depends there are a few accomdations near the road,so just choose the ones away from it, suggest you have a look at the pictures, quite a few of the buildings were built in the last decade.
How much are living costs in London altogether per month? Accommodation, food, going out , etc.
I'm only eligible for £5000 from SF, am currently unemployed (although searching quite frantically for a job now), and so I'm not sure whether I'd be able to afford it all!
Original post by itchy and scratchy
How much are living costs in London altogether per month? Accommodation, food, going out , etc.
I'm only eligible for £5000 from SF, am currently unemployed (although searching quite frantically for a job now), and so I'm not sure whether I'd be able to afford it all!

I think around 800 to 1000 will do. The official number is 1000GBP for an international student per month (and they can only work 20 hours a week, so...)
I was wondering how much it costs to do laundry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending