The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

TheNihilist
Were all clearing places for BSc Economics offered to International students for Queen Mary's? What about joint Economics BSc degrees, are all offers 280 UCAS points with A in Mathematics?

If the worst case senario was to happen, I might take a gap year, retake A2 modules and reapply. Hopefully Queen Mary's Uni might be lenient in clearing this year... Well, hope for the best. Thank you.

No, they were open to UK/Home students as far as I was aware. However, you will find that in Clearing year after year, Economics at more reputable unis tend to be reserved only for International students these days. (I'm guessing it's because there is more money involved...which is a shame for UK/Home students).
Unfortunately, the 280 points with an A in maths were required for the Joint honour degrees too.
As long as you plan what to do 'if' you take a gap-year, then all is good. It is the worst thing ever if you find out on the day that you are 'suddenly' going to be taking a year out with 'nothing lined up/planned'. The unexpected outcome ..
I wouldn't get your hopes up about QM though as they have tons of Maths degrees (single & joint) that seem to be the last to be filled in Clearing, as nobody wants to do them. Because of this, if you do better in Maths A Level, they may try to divert you away from Economics to the Maths department to try and fill in these 'unwanted' degrees that they are obviously desperate to fill. This is because Economics is more popular and they know for sure that there are many students lined up who want to do it, in comparison to the Maths degrees.
However, please do not feel that you are obliged to take up a Maths degree if offered. Maths at degree level is not the same as A Level Maths (where you only needed to know how to use equations/techniques etc.). For degree Maths, you actually have to be able to understand the meaning behind it all. Just thought you might like to be aware of that so that you don't dive in and drown as it'll be a shame to come out of uni with a rubbish honours.

Hope all this helps :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Any chance anybody knows the Economics 1st year weekly timetable at queens??

Thanks
partoftheweekend
Any chance anybody knows the Economics 1st year weekly timetable at queens??

Thanks

No, because this is the Queen Mary forum. No idea what this Queen's is. You were looking for the Queen's University Belfast forum, perhaps? :dontknow:
Democracy
No, because this is the Queen Mary forum. No idea what this Queen's is. You were looking for the Queen's University Belfast forum, perhaps? :dontknow:

Very witty and clever, well done. Got a real answer now?
partoftheweekend
Very witty and clever, well done. Got a real answer now?

You're welcome.

I've logged into the College intranet, which modules are you taking?
Democracy
You're welcome.

I've logged into the College intranet, which modules are you taking?

*ECN113 Principles of Economics
ECN114 Mathematical Methods in Economics and Business 1
ECN112 Spreadsheets and Data in Economics
ECN102 World Economy

partoftheweekend
*ECN113 Principles of Economics
ECN114 Mathematical Methods in Economics and Business 1
ECN112 Spreadsheets and Data in Economics
ECN102 World Economy

I'm not sure if this is for this year or last year. Use it as a general guideline, timetables don't really change that much.

ECN113

ECN114

ECN112

ECN102

Did that help? :awesome:
Democracy
I'm not sure if this is for this year or last year. Use it as a general guideline, timetables don't really change that much.

Did that help? :awesome:

Genius, thank you thats perfect.
partoftheweekend
Genius, thank you thats perfect.

You're welcome :top:
Reply 89
I am going to pursue my second year of degree engineering in QMUL. Is it possible to apply in some other univeristy for the 3rd year...lyk..uni of manchester or ucl ?
Reply 90
Can someone tell me how the flat system works? Im in 36C, so is that room 36, flat C or something?
chigz32
Can someone tell me how the flat system works? Im in 36C, so is that room 36, flat C or something?

The other way around: flat 36, room C :smile:
Reply 92
chigz32

yeah as doingmybest said, room C, flat 36.

Is that Pooley House? My mate was there (incidentally also from Leicester...and he was guji, which by your username I assume you are lol)
Reply 93
DeSiFiEd
yeah as doingmybest said, room C, flat 36.

Is that Pooley House? My mate was there (incidentally also from Leicester...and he was guji, which by your username I assume you are lol)

Nah, france house :p:
Can someone tell me what the social life is like at Queen Mary? Is there plenty of varied nights out and things to do? Or are the social activities catered to a particular type of person?
Reply 95
Does anyone know how much weight is given to each year on the economics courses? I was searching the QMUL website but couldn't find it myself

Reply 96
Hey random question, does anyone know if in France house [and in QMUL generally] there are ports to connect the tv to the rooftop aeriel or if we have to get indoor aeriels for TV's??
HELP! :biggrin:
Reply 97
damedame
Hey random question, does anyone know if in France house [and in QMUL generally] there are ports to connect the tv to the rooftop aeriel or if we have to get indoor aeriels for TV's??
HELP! :biggrin:

If I remember right France House was the only one that had ports for TV. You might as well get a £20 freeview box though? lol
Reply 98
mysteryman
Can someone tell me what the social life is like at Queen Mary? Is there plenty of varied nights out and things to do? Or are the social activities catered to a particular type of person?

As its London you basically have access to every type of social 'scene', there's different music nights at the SU too.

I'm guessing your into alternative things?
DeSiFiEd
As its London you basically have access to every type of social 'scene', there's different music nights at the SU too.

I'm guessing your into alternative things?

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah mainly alternative music and the odd bit of pop I like. I was mainly concerned about the events at the SU being aimed at a certain sort of person but seems like they have a great variety. I was also concerned about meeting people etc as i'm going to be living at home just outside of London, but I don't think it will be much of a problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending