The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hii, does anyone know if words/references in parentheses count towards the word count? Thanks!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by caymanj13
Hii, does anyone know if words/references in parentheses count towards the word count? Thanks!

In text referencing is added to the word count but references at the end aren't counted
Hi, was wondering for Economics, would they let you in if you drop a grade or something. Just worried that instead of getting AAA I might get AAB
Anyone on a Politics and International Relations degree course? Just applied and i would like to hear opinions about it :smile: (about the course/students life etc)
Original post by caymanj13

Yeah, your footnotes are included in the word count, but your bibliography at the end isn't.
Original post by Starlighter
Hi, was wondering for Economics, would they let you in if you drop a grade or something. Just worried that instead of getting AAA I might get AAB

This is something that no one can really answer, because it depends entirely on circumstance. If they make you an offer of AAA and you get AAB, I find it unlikely that they will refuse you, because it's not a course that will be overly-subscribed like medicine or law. Chances are they'd let you go anyway, but you can always call them and see what their policy is.
Bottom line is to not panic about not getting the grade, because grade requirements at all universities are easily manipulated if they allow. Just focus on your A levels, and leave university stress until you need to stress about it :smile:
Hi!

Recently applied here for computer science, still waiting for an answer^^

I've heard that its fine but i'd rather hear another opinion from somewhere who is actually there too, will it be fine if i live in central London and use the tube to go to uni whenever?

I looked at the stations and it seems convenient but i'm not sure how it will be practically.

Thanks!
Original post by marios50
Hi!

Recently applied here for computer science, still waiting for an answer^^

I've heard that its fine but i'd rather hear another opinion from somewhere who is actually there too, will it be fine if i live in central London and use the tube to go to uni whenever?

I looked at the stations and it seems convenient but i'm not sure how it will be practically.

Thanks!

I live in central London as well and use the tube to go to uni. It's very convenient and practically possible.
Original post by Curryman98
hey ive recieved offers from all of my 5 choices and was thinking if it would be worth firming Queen Mary
This is from the Accounting course website for the entry requirements.
Additional information: AS-level subjects are not counted towards the 320 point requirement. You must also have five GCSEs at grade A-C including B in English and B in maths.

does this mean AS grades are not counted at all?
If so, I may as well not retake AS as I had CDD (there was atleast one module where i had A/B and the other was a straight E or something)
Is it worth me retaking the bad AS modules? because A2 is so much harder and requires more work than AS and it seems as if Queen Mary only care about A2 results..

if anyone could add their opinion that'd be great
cheers

jesus how the **** am I gonna get ABB in A2 wow

As you know, AS is the stage before A2, so you basically do your AS studies in your first year and if you continue onto second year of college then you end up with a levels (completed A2s).
You need an AS in a subject to do the A2 side of it. There's no getting round that.
So my advice is that you retake the subjects you have CDD in, or simply retake certain modules in those subjects to bump up your grades. There's no reason why you can't get ABB. I went from a C to A* by resitting just one single exam, so anything is possible.
As far as I am aware, all universities either want A2(a levels), BTEC or other. No one tends to offer courses based simply on AS, because these are essentially incomplete a levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by holly_1994
As you know, AS is the stage before A2, so you basically do your AS studies in your first year and if you continue onto second year of college then you end up with a levels (completed A2s).
You need an AS in a subject to do the A2 side of it. There's no getting round that.
So my advice is that you retake the subjects you have CDD in, or simply retake certain modules in those subjects to bump up your grades. There's no reason why you can't get ABB. I went from a C to A* by resitting just one single exam, so anything is possible.
As far as I am aware, all universities either want A2(a levels), BTEC or other. No one tends to offer courses based simply on AS, because these are essentially incomplete a levels.

um sorry I don't think I was clear
I am currently doing A2 as I've already completed AS
my question is regarding the fact that I do not have to retake because Queen Mary only look at A2 results or am I wrong? Yes it is beneficial to retake but in this case it isn't necessery
Original post by Curryman98
um sorry I don't think I was clear
I am currently doing A2 as I've already completed AS
my question is regarding the fact that I do not have to retake because Queen Mary only look at A2 results or am I wrong? Yes it is beneficial to retake but in this case it isn't necessery

Oh I see what you mean now. In that case, I'd just continue as you are. If you need an A, though, it's going to be really difficult to get if you have a C in that subject currently.
Original post by holly_1994
Oh I see what you mean now. In that case, I'd just continue as you are. If you need an A, though, it's going to be really difficult to get if you have a C in that subject currently.

alright cheers
I'm currently in first year uni and is applying for a course (Economics) that is totally not related to what I learn now (Design). I meet Queen Mary's requirement for the course, but just got rejected a few days ago. I still really want to go there though.

Is it typical for QMUL to have vacancies for Economics (or related courses) during Clearing?

The reason for not giving an offer was:

Increased competition - We take all aspects of your application into careful consideration; we look at the merits of your personal statement, academic reference, predicted and actual grades. Due to competition for places, we do not make offers purely on the basis of meeting the grade requirements.

My grades are:
IGCSE
Art and Design A* Mathematics A*Physics A*
English Literature A
Business Studies B English Language B History B Mathematics (Further Pure) B
A-Level
Art & Design A* Mathematics A Chinese A (it is my second language)
Economics B History B
Original post by JGBishop24
I'm currently in first year uni and is applying for a course (Economics) that is totally not related to what I learn now (Design). I meet Queen Mary's requirement for the course, but just got rejected a few days ago. I still really want to go there though.

Is it typical for QMUL to have vacancies for Economics (or related courses) during Clearing?

The reason for not giving an offer was:

Increased competition - We take all aspects of your application into careful consideration; we look at the merits of your personal statement, academic reference, predicted and actual grades. Due to competition for places, we do not make offers purely on the basis of meeting the grade requirements.

My grades are:
IGCSE
Art and Design A* Mathematics A*Physics A*
English Literature A
Business Studies B English Language B History B Mathematics (Further Pure) B
A-Level
Art & Design A* Mathematics A Chinese A (it is my second language)
Economics B History B

I wouldn't expect QMUL to have clearing spaces for Economics, they didn't two years ago from what I remember. I actually didn't even meet my grade requirements and I got an unconditional offer.

My subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Maths. And the only relevant subject you need is Maths for the course so you might have been rejected for your Personal Statement.
Original post by SteelCookie
I wouldn't expect QMUL to have clearing spaces for Economics, they didn't two years ago from what I remember. I actually didn't even meet my grade requirements and I got an unconditional offer.

My subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Maths. And the only relevant subject you need is Maths for the course so you might have been rejected for your Personal Statement.

It could be the personal statement, I'm not sure. The requirement on the website is AAA though, while when I sent the Admissions an email, they said AAB would be considered.

My friend got accepted into Economics during clearing just this summer. As she got AAB, the same as me. So I just wanted to ask if there were any other success stories to get my hopes up.

I also received a reply from Admissions, and the officer said she will ask if I'm qualified for clearing. If not I don't know what else I can do.
Hey :smile:

I was wondering if you could answer this question: If I am accepted into QMUL with Law (M100), is there a possibility to transfer to the LLB English and European Law (M120) programme? Because, as far as I understand, the basis is similar, it just includes a year abroad.

Thank you :smile:
What is neuroscience at qmul like? Do you know anyone who does neuroscience?
HiI have just been made unconditional offer regarding MSc Banking and Finance part time.I have half of the money but the rest is a problem. I have been rejected for a loan because I have already hold one Master degree and therefore I am not elegible..

Queen Mary has informed me that there are no vacant scholarships..

Any ideas for another scholarships?

Thank you!
Hi! I have some questions...

Does the university seem overly skewed towards medicine/law? If you're taking something which isn't in those categories do you have an inferior experience? (How much of uni life is related specifically to those areas?)

How active are the societies? Is the university political - are there lots of protests/student movements? Are there societies for creative things such as poetry? (Is there a poetry/art/theater-y scene?)

How likely is it that I would get my first choice of accommodation? Are there a high number of people who don't get their first choice?

How easy did you find it to make friends etc. Is there a strong sense of community - being a campus uni? If you didn't make friends, do you think given that you have all of London, it would be easy to make friends elsewhere?

I'm hoping to apply for Politics or Politics & International Relations. :smile: Is there anywhere I can find out the applicants per place for this? Do Queen Mary have a reputation for being really strict on admissions/turning people away who easily meet the entry requirements? I think my course requires ABB and I am hoping to achieve AAA + an EPQ and 1 AS A. I also have lots of volunteering etc. to put on my personal statement...
Thanks so much!! xx
(Sorry if some of these questions are too subjective, I'd just like your opinions!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vegan-cactus
Hi! I have some questions...

Does the university seem overly skewed towards medicine/law? If you're taking something which isn't in those categories do you have an inferior experience? (How much of uni life is related specifically to those areas?)

How active are the societies? Is the university political - are there lots of protests/student movements? Are there societies for creative things such as poetry? (Is there a poetry/art/theater-y scene?)

How likely is it that I would get my first choice of accommodation? Are there a high number of people who don't get their first choice?

How easy did you find it to make friends etc. Is there a strong sense of community - being a campus uni? If you didn't make friends, do you think given that you have all of London, it would be easy to make friends elsewhere?

I'm hoping to apply for Politics or Politics & International Relations. :smile: Is there anywhere I can find out the applicants per place for this? Do Queen Mary have a reputation for being really strict on admissions/turning people away who easily meet the entry requirements? I think my course requires ABB and I am hoping to achieve AAA + an EPQ and 1 AS A. I also have lots of volunteering etc. to put on my personal statement...
Thanks so much!! xx
(Sorry if some of these questions are too subjective, I'd just like your opinions!)

Hi!
I'm a current student at Queen Mary, studying English. I haven't found that it's particularly skewed towards Medicine and Law at all. Seeing as Medicine is on Whitechapel campus, the majority of the medicine focus is over there. All the departments are really great at promoting and supporting their students. It depends really on what sort of societies you join as to what your uni life is focused on. Law have some particularly prominent societies so that might be why you've heard a lot!
The societies are very active! There are loads of political groups and movements you can join. There are creative societies and also check out all the student media outlets, like The Print, CUB Magazine and QReview for writing and poetry. Musical Theatre society is particularly good at organising events and cheap theatre visits.
Accommodation is very competitive, so it depends on how quickly you apply. Personally, I applied on the very day I got the email and I got the one I wanted so just remember: first come, first served.
I think QMUL has a great community. I made most of my friends through societies, but accommodation is a great way of making friends too. I know plenty of people who join inter-uni groups too so they can broaden their circle of friends.

I hope this helps! -Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending