The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Do you get separate cupboards in the kitchen and are they lockable? Or is food stealing not a big issue? Or do you generally keep things in your room?
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 161
mijjibabba91
how easy is it to transfer from the geography department to law and politics, i got 4 a's at alevel dunno if that wud increase my chance?
can you PLEASE PLEASE tell me lol how you do this?
and how early you can do this?
and any experiences with switching courses
thank you in advance!:p:

Transferring to Law will be almost impossible but there are options for politics. Either get in touch with the department now and talk it through with them for a full transfer or when you choose your geography modules select politics ones for your optionals (you have to get them signed off by politics). I know several BA students in geography who have done this but you will still get a degree in geography not politics and the amount of modules you pick from politics will go down in years two and three.

Best thing is contact both departments and see what they can arrange. The staff in Geography are very accommodating.
Ozzy91
Do you get separate cupboards in the kitchen and are they lockable? Or is food stealing not a big issue? Or do you generally keep things in your room?

You get seperate cupboards, the ones I used weren't lockable but in my experience food stealing is not an issue. Tbh most people keep their kitchen equipment e.g. pots, pans, etc in the kitchen but dry foodstuffs like pasta, tinned products etc in their room.

If you're living in the Village you'll also get a fridge in your room so you can keep your milk and stuff in there :p:
Reply 163
Ozzy91

You do get separate cupboards, though how many depends on which building you live in. For most you generally get one bottom cupboard (tall and narrow in Varey and Maynard) and one wall cupboard with shelves. In Varey/Maynard and the Westfield village these aren't lockable but I don't know about the older residences.

I had no probelms with food stealing and neither did anyone I know. There was the odd case of someone using some milk, but most people don't mind that. If you have something particularly special by all means keep it in your room.

In the Westfield village there are fridges in peoples rooms so food gets stored there. In the others it's pretty much down to the person, I kept alcohol and biscuits in my room but that was more to do with lack of cupboard space than anything else.

Play it by ear when you get there.
Reply 164
And does anyone know the monthly download limit?
Reply 165
Ozzy91

As far as I'm aware none (that was three years ago though), we managed to download an huge amount of stuff from various sites. However, you can not connect to most p2p networks on campus so downloading torrents is out and the connection can be a bit slow at times for direct downloads.
Ozzy91

If there is one, I've never encountered it.

Torrenting is definitely possible.
Reply 167
i assume an iron is a given? :P
chigz32
i assume an iron is a given? :P

Don't think so. And ironing board is provided in each flat, though I don't think irons are...
Reply 169
Democracy
Don't think so. And ironing board is provided in each flat, though I don't think irons are...

cheeers, again :biggrin:
chigz32
cheeers, again :biggrin:

You planning on ironing? Good gooses.
Reply 171
Mr. Mortell
You planning on ironing? Good gooses.

Well this is the plan, we'll see how events unfold...
chigz32
Well this is the plan, we'll see how events unfold...

If a shirt needed pressing I just used my Shakespeare anthology and my folder, and pulled the shirt between them.
Reply 173
Mr. Mortell
If a shirt needed pressing I just used my Shakespeare anthology and my folder, and pulled the shirt between them.

See these are the real things you learn at uni, Innovation and Improvisation Haha
Reply 174
I'm thinking of applying for an 18+ oyster card. If I order it now it will probably arrive to QM before I do. Can I write my Westfield address in the form anyway or will the card get lost if I'm not there to collect it when it arrives? Thanx! :smile:
Reply 175
EllenS
I'm thinking of applying for an 18+ oyster card. If I order it now it will probably arrive to QM before I do. Can I write my Westfield address in the form anyway or will the card get lost if I'm not there to collect it when it arrives? Thanx! :smile:

Each flat has a mailbox which usualy gets cleared out before term starts (the amount of junk mail you get is phenomenal) so you might lose it that way. The SU processes Oyster forms during freshers and you recieve your card quite quickly afterwards so I'd suggest waiting till then or sending it to your home/another London address.
Reply 176
Mr. Mortell

Epic!
Reply 177
Are there any formal parties or such that warrant bringing a suit to uni?
Ozzy91
Are there any formal parties or such that warrant bringing a suit to uni?

You might want to bring an old school tie for school discos at drapers :p:

But other than that no. It's probably a good idea to bring a suit just in case you get an interview for a job or something whilst you're down here :smile:
Reply 179
hey has anyone whos done or going to do medical engineering at queen mary didnt do physics or mechanics in maths, if so how did u manage the first year in medical engineering, is it hard if you aint done physicas or mechanics in maths at A-level, thankk you for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest