The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

I figured this would be a good thread to put up. Basically, any applicants can ask a question they would like to ask a current student and we'll get it answered by one of us [probably me]. Then I'll keep this main post updated with questions and their answers [or at least links to] so that people can just browse the thread and find out the information they need.

So, ask away.

Liam.

What is the social scene like at QMUL?
Answer #1 | Answer #2

What is the Mile End area like?
Answer #1 | Answer #2 | Answer #3

What types of accommodation are available?
Answer #1 | Answer #2 [N.B. Pooley has flats of 9, not 6.] | Answer #3

Do QMUL have any system whereby second years become wardens and are allowed to stay on campus?
Answer #1 | Answer #2

For nights out away from campus, where do students normally go?
Answer #1 | Answer #2

How far from Central London is QMUL?
Answer #1 | Answer #2

How easy it is to change course once at QMUL?
Answer #1 | Answer #2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whats the social scene like at QMUL ? given the access to central London and the campus nature I'd assume it was fairly decent ? surely better than LSE ? :P

and whats Mile End really like, as someone who has been living there, not someone who's just wiki'ed it and thinks it's a 19th century slum still.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
ajp100688
Whats the social scene like at QMUL ? given the access to central London and the campus nature I'd assume it was fairly decent ? surely better than LSE ? :P

Can't really comment on the social scene, since I'm an off-campus student with a fiancee and a cat!

and whats Mile End really like, as someone who has been living there, not someone who's just wiki'ed it and thinks it's a 19th century slum still.

I spend a lot of time on/around campus, so I'm more qualified to comment on this. Mile End/Whitechapel is a really variable area. There are definitely some dodgy bits which you wouldn't want to be caught in late at night (or in some cases, during broad daylight). However, there's also some really fun stuff if you're willing to be a tad bit adventurous. Down towards Whitechapel is a huge street market with "discount" DVDs and "designer" clothes. There's also a couple of SERIOUSLY good, and inexpensive, curry houses down that way. These are real places with everything made in-house, not cheap meat heated with canned sauce and served on a reheated naan.

For entertainment...well, there's a couple cinemas, a Nandos, and some pseudo-clubs and bars. That said, it is ridiculously convenient to get in to central London, with the 25/205 buses and tube, so if you want some bustling city action, you're not far away at all.
Reply 3
ajp100688

Social scene is..SICK. 15 minutes away from Central London, with great transport links back home at 3am+...world renowned clubs close to you, lots of coaches and stuff going across the UK.

My LSE mate goes to Drapers more than anything else, their only decent night is Crush.

I find it more safe than Kingston, there's always students around...as with anywhere in the world, if you act responsibly there's no issues.
Reply 4
ajp100688

I like the social scene at Queen Mary, sometimes the student union can be a little quiet - but there is always the Hayfield down the road. You can always pop into Central London with little fuss - get the tube there and the bus back. The 25 and the 205 both run to campus and run all night long. There is lots of clubs and societies to join, you're always welcome to join the clubs and societies at ULU.

The Mile End area is fine. Sure it isn't as pretty as Central London but it is significantly cheaper. There is always shops open if you need them and plenty of people out and about. Safety isn't a huge issues, but it is just the same as the rest of London. I have never known anyone to be physically attacked. The benefit of the University being located in the East End is that you are able to live near it in the 2nd year, for relatively cheap. Going to other universities will be mean living out just as far as Mile End [or further] and travelling in every day.
Reply 5
What are the different accomodations like?

I'm really edging on applying for Christopher France, is it worth having a fridge, bath etc for having less flatmates?
OoFaithoO

I'm really edging on applying for Christopher France, is it worth having a fridge, bath etc for having less flatmates?

Well most housing that is ensuite i think have their own fridge, so meh u arent gaining anything extra for your money. Also, to be honest the baths arent that big, and one of the things i enjoyed about living with lots of flatmats was that there was always someone in the kitchen, to talk to. What i think is the best thing about living in france house is the extra bed you get. But you can still live with less people if you live in pooly, or beaumont court (sp?). They share with 5 or 4. Again the properties are still ensuite but just ensuite shower, rather then bath, which i didnt think was that bad.
Reply 7
OoFaithoO

There are three types of accommodation:

- En-suite w/ bath. [Sir Christopher France]
- En-suite w/ shower. [Beaumont, Creed, Maurice, Fielden, Pooley, Other Post-grad only residences]
- Shared Bathroom. [Varey, Maynard, Linop, Ifor Evans, Albert Stern]

In most of the halls there will be six people to a flat. For en-suite this means you share your kitchen with them, and for the shared bathroom accommodation you share your bathroom and kitchen with them. The exceptions are Richard Fielden and Pooley, which house about 9 per flat. These often have more ovens in the kitchen and are en-suite w/ shower.

All en-suite rooms have a fridge in their rooms and whilst France House is very nice, the quality isn't particularly different. Although, you obviously have the benefit of a bath, and an additional 'pull-out' bed for guests. Shared bathroom accommodation has wash basins in each room.

All of the accommodation is of a good standard, the shared bathroom halls are of a 'good' standard, but the en-suite accommodation is very good to excellent - much newer.
Reply 8
Do QMUL have any system whereby second years become wardens and are allowed to stay on campus? I know at some unis they allow you to do this and stay for free, as payment?
Reply 9
OoFaithoO
Do QMUL have any system whereby second years become wardens and are allowed to stay on campus? I know at some unis they allow you to do this and stay for free, as payment?

Yep, you can become a steward; there's a LOT of applications. Look around your hall's entrances for signs on when to meet current stewards to discuss the application process.

Last year it was Thursday 5-6pm inside the Curve, not sure if its the same this year. Otherwise check out the CCRS Residences Office and enquire what they have to say.

Think its a subsidised rent also, not free; you have to do one late night etc too..look after fire alarms and stuff! :smile:
I'm in Feilden.
We have 11 in our flat. Everything else has been covered.

I don't know how much more France is, but when I have people to stay, they are either on the floor if they are of the male variety, or in my bed if of the female variety - so weigh up if you need the spare bed.

We have quite small fridges in Feilden, but loads of freezer space.

Mile End area? Great. I love it. Loads going on, lots of culture. If you have just an ounce of respect for other cultures you will do fine. Be street savvy and no harm will come of you. A sense of humour helps too.
Reply 11
Another question! (Lol, am sure you're bored of me by now but I'm just friendly :smile:)

How many contact hours do Drama and English students have? And what is 'Unsupervised Practise'- is it compulsory or study time?
Um, about three....!

Ok... I think it's 8... Plus maybe Four hours unsupervised.
Reply 13
For nights out away from campus, where do students normally go? Shoreditch isn't that far away is it? I know that Shoreditch and similar places are supposed to be really good for nights out, and how far away is it from the centre of London? Mainly places like picadilly circus etc, the museums...London eye etc
The definition of "really good" is entirely subjective.

Shoreditch and Brick Lane are Indie Kid Central. Very trendy and pretentious and somewhat a parody of itself.

Personally, I think it's fun and have had some good nights out there. I get the joke. I've watched Nathan Barley :wink:

It's about quarter of an hour, twenty minutes away from Oxford Street on the Central Line, from where you can walk to walk to anywhere you like.

Would I want to live anywhere else? No.
Reply 15
Wow. That sounds amazing... indie (ignoring the kid) central, twenty minutes from the centre of everything?

I am in awe. Also deeply wishing QM didn't interview everyone...!
Hopefully going for a campus tour on the 2nd as I haven't been able to visit yet.
=)
Yay! Welcome aboard.
Reply 17
OoFaithoO

Yes you can do this, but are required to do a certain amount of hours per week. Also, it isn't free just cheaper. The ultimate downside is that by being a 'warden' you must remain on campus for the entire year - HOLIDAYS INCLUDED.
Reply 18
ckminter
For nights out away from campus, where do students normally go? Shoreditch isn't that far away is it? I know that Shoreditch and similar places are supposed to be really good for nights out,

You can go pretty much anywhere on a nightout. There is the SU and some pubs in the area, but Central is only a tube/bus ride away. Shoreditch isn't that far. You can even walk back if needs be.

and how far away is it from the centre of London? Mainly places like picadilly circus etc, the museums...London eye etc

About 20 minutes. Within 30 minutes you could be anywhere you want to be within Central London.
Reply 19
OoFaithoO
Another question! (Lol, am sure you're bored of me by now but I'm just friendly :smile:)

How many contact hours do Drama and English students have? And what is 'Unsupervised Practise'- is it compulsory or study time?

Just to confirm, Unsupervised practice IS compulsory if work is set - but doesn't always last the entire time. You often leave early.

Quick Reply

Latest