The Student Room Group

Transfers between UK medical schools

Hello there,

Firstly, I really dont want people to condescend or rant at me for asking this question- as Im well aware after having just been through the medical applications system myself that it is very hard to get into anywhere to do medicine.

But my question pertains to, are transfers between UK medical schools impossible? I appreciate that it is virtually unheard of- but there is a difference between rarely and never.

I have a lot of things going on right now, and I can honestly say that whilst I love medicine (Im a first year btw) the place that I am in is making me deeply unhappy. But Im aware that you have to have extenuating circumstances to move.

I dont know what to do: a) I dont want to reapply, that would be foolish seeing as I run the risk of not getting in again, I dont want to not study medicine full stop b) Im apprehensive of telling my current medical school for fear of alienation c) Therefore who can I talk to about this? d) I cant see myself staying here for 5 years- but how can i possibly tell someone else that because all they will say is, you should have thought about that before you applied?

Im in a real pickle and I would very much appreciate some helpful advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kate_h
Hello there,

Firstly, I really dont want people to condescend or rant at me for asking this question- as Im well aware after having just been through the medical applications system myself that it is very hard to get into anywhere to do medicine.

But my question pertains to, are transfers between UK medical schools impossible? I appreciate that it is virtually unheard of- but there is a difference between rarely and never.

I have a lot of things going on right now, and I can honestly say that whilst I love medicine (Im a first year btw) the place that I am in is making me deeply unhappy. But Im aware that you have to have extenuating circumstances to move.

I dont know what to do: a) I dont want to reapply, that would be foolish seeing as I run the risk of not getting in again, I dont want to not study medicine full stop b) Im apprehensive of telling my current medical school for fear of alienation c) Therefore who can I talk to about this? d) I cant see myself staying here for 5 years- but how can i possibly tell someone else that because all they will say is, you should have thought about that before you applied?

Im in a real pickle and I would very much appreciate some helpful advice.

Well I'm not sure about the transferring thing...but you definitely need to talk to someone (friend/personal tutor/counsellor) about the way that you're feeling.

Why dont you email some alternative medical schools asking for their opinion on it...maybe if they've had a lot of people drop out they might consider you?
Reply 2
i know that some medical schools say that you can't transfer as the style of course makes it impossible - UEA for example don't accept transfers as they required everyone to have completed each unit. I think some of the other PBL/more integrated courses wouldn't be too happy either.
traditional courses might be more willing to accept transfers but you'd need to contact them to find out.
i was very unhappy my first year on the course but stuck it out and now can't imagine being anywhere else for med - definitely have a chat with someone, whether it's a friend/relative/member of staff - just someone. (PM me if you want to talk)
As kate said it generally depends on the uni you're at. The traditional unis (oxbridge, imp, ucl, ed, st. andrews) quite regularly switch people around after 3rd year so it's not unheard of. I would definitely speak to someone at the uni - you should have a head of pastoral care or something like that. They'd know what was feasible and what wasn't under your circumstances. But remember, once you get through to clinical years you could be placed miles away for weeks at a time.
As far as I know, the only ways that medical students can transfer is between Oxford, Cambridge and London, in between the pre-clinical and clinical years. Other than this, transfers are very very rare, if not impossible.

Having said that, it really really depends on your circumstances and as Evenstar said, there must be some kind of pastoral care at the school you go to and they should be able to help you whatever the problem is... and they should be confidential too so I wouldn't worry too much about alienation...
Reply 5
Talk to the pastoral members at your uni. I'm sure there must be some people you can talk to confidentially and it won't be held against you.

I reckon you could probably get used to your uni though, besides its not just going to be as it is now for 5 years. What aspects of it don't you like?
Where are you studying? What do you like? What don't you like?

The only time I've heard of people transferring is after pre-clinical years. I know of students who have come to Barts for 3rd year and onwards from Oxbridge, Leeds and BSMS
Reply 7
Out of curiosity who thinks this would be possible from PMS to Kings College? I know they accept transfers... My friends in the same position, he hates Plymouth and is either trying to move uni or to Exeter but preferably uni...
Reply 8
vj69
Out of curiosity who thinks this would be possible from PMS to Kings College? I know they accept transfers... My friends in the same position, he hates Plymouth and is either trying to move uni or to Exeter but preferably uni...

I'd say a PMS to KCL transfer would be unsuccessful, because the courses are very different indeed. I doubt KCL would consider it. Perhaps by a long shot, it may be possible with SGUL, which uses more PBL (or CBL as they say), it might be possible but I also doubt it. I haven't looked at SGUL's course structure so this is just based on amount of PBL alone.

The thing is the way the course is taught at PMS is pretty unique. Some people hate it, others love it. This was explained in a lot of detail at open day, and when speaking to the current students etc. Thus the importance of making sure you are happy with your choice before you apply. :wiggles finger at your friend:

I can't see why he would hate Plymouth tbh :biggrin:. The SU and city are more alive at PMS-Plymouth than PMS-Exeter, this is a fact (anyone who says otherwise is just being defensive :p:).

The only transfer I have heard of is my tutor who did years 1-3 at Cambridge and is now doing year 4 at UCL. He didn't even have to reapply or do the BMAT.
annarchy
Perhaps by a long shot, it may be possible with SGUL, which uses more PBL (or CBL as they say), it might be possible but I also doubt it. I haven't looked at SGUL's course structure so this is just based on amount of PBL alone.

CBL at St. George's is, at least for the first couple of years, a part but not by any means a significantly large part of the course!

And from the SGUL website:

SGUL website
Transfer from other UK or EU Medical Schools
St George's usually fills its transfer places from students transferring into the third year from Oxford University and Cambridge University (see above). Therefore, St George's rarely considers transfer from other medical schools.
Reply 10
My friend's sister transfer for 3rd year medicine from BSMS to Queen Marys...so it is possible, her friend did it as well.
Reply 11
I feel awful, guilty almost that Im not happier. The problem is, I have a lot going at home in terms of family illness and I would just feel so much better if I were closer to home; because I know that I would be a train journey away from helping my mom who is a single parent.

Im finding it difficult to concentrate because of that worry, and I dont like admitting that Im not loving every second of medicine as everyone else seems to be doing- because Im so worried about other things. Im trying to push it to the back of my mind so I dont fail my ESA in January.
annarchy
The only transfer I have heard of is my tutor who did years 1-3 at Cambridge and is now doing year 4 at UCL. He didn't even have to reapply or do the BMAT.

That's a fairly standard transfer - there aren't sufficient places at Cambridge or Oxford for clinics so some people must transfer to London med schools or elsewhere.
Reply 13
petzneo
My friend's sister transfer for 3rd year medicine from BSMS to Queen Marys...so it is possible, her friend did it as well.

On what grounds though?
I made some enquiries to Queen Mary's about a few weeks ago and they've said they won't be considering any non-Oxbridge transfers for entry in 2009 (entry into year 3).
It definately sounds like a pastoral issue you need sorting. I know going to uni can be extremely stressful for some people. Often this settles out and most people dont tend to look back. If youve really got issues back home, really do talk to someone as universities are designed to be able to cope with situations like this.

With regards to Oxbridge swapping with London, thats just a standard thing that goes on as we all have to reapply for clinical school. We dont use BMAT or anything like that because we already have exam scores.
Reply 16
vj69
On what grounds though?

I know that for her it was because her parents got divorced. But her friend just transferred, she had no circumstances, I know that for sure.

This took place 2 years ago.
Reply 17
I know of one person who reapplied to a different medical school and started from scratch in first year again due to family illness and not settling properly into his first uni, sounds pretty similar to your situation. It could well be a legitimate reason for transfering, particularly if you're acting as a carer or need to spend particular time with family.

But, given as this is something of a nuclear option, I would make sure you exhaust all resources at your current uni before calling it there. They want you there and they're not going to kick you out for having a tough term (Jesus, if they did that we wouldn't have many doctors left). Its been a miserable long wet month and not the best frame to make big life decisions in, if nothing else.
We have a chap who came from first year UEA to the Bute.

To have a good chance of getting somewhere to take you though you will need to be at the very top of your year, which will be even harder if you are having a crap time.

(i took one look at nottingham and went no sodding way, i'd hate to be stuck there for five or six years)
terpineol
We have a chap who came from first year UEA to the Bute.

To have a good chance of getting somewhere to take you though you will need to be at the very top of your year, which will be even harder if you are having a crap time.

(i took one look at nottingham and went no sodding way, i'd hate to be stuck there for five or six years)

Ah but did said individual have to start from year one again when he came to the Bute or did he enter into year 2?

Did he have extenuating circumstances or anything?

Latest

Trending

Trending