The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Arrogant Git
I'd have had the definition the other way round. I reckon it works like (copied from urban dictionary):

......................Social Skills | Technical Skills
Normal Person ........Yes............No
Geek......................Yes............Yes
Nerd.......................No............Yes
Dork.......................No............No

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normal people to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.

I'd disagree with thoose definitions, but language is a wonderfully flexible thing :smile: I don't think there have ever been formal definitions for any of them, but the ones that I use are good in that there is no overlap between them.

And yes, I am a neek :p:
ukebert
I'd disagree with thoose definitions, but language is a wonderfully flexible thing :smile: I don't think there have ever been formal definitions for any of them, but the ones that I use are good in that there is no overlap between them.

And yes, I am a neek :p:

As a mathmo, I wouldn't find the label 'geek' offensive but would (violently) object to the label 'nerd'.
Reply 62
I think we can safely say that anyone who posts on TSR regularly in the oxbridge forum is a geek or nerd in some form or other. Including me.
Reply 63
Fixesin
I think we can safely say that anyone who posts on TSR regularly in the oxbridge forum is a geek or nerd in some form or other. Including me.

I wouldnt class myself as a "neek" per se. I'm actually da opposite really - if you met me...
ebam_uk
I wouldnt class myself as a "neek" per se. I'm actually da opposite really - if you met me...

Never thought I would see PER SE and DA in the same post.
ebam_uk
You're not :^^:
ukebert
I'd disagree with thoose definitions, but language is a wonderfully flexible thing :smile:
:ditto:
Fixesin

True, but fortunately we have the reputation system and the Back Room to make up for our social ineptitude by offering large flashing arrows pointing at the popular crowd :biggrin:

Disclaimer

Reply 67
Arrogant Git
As a mathmo, I wouldn't find the label 'geek' offensive but would (violently) object to the label 'nerd'.

How interesting. Why, out of interest?
ukebert

I always associated nerds with books and geeks with numbers and computers.
Well, I'm both a neek (from what I've gathered about the meaning of the word) and a language nerd/geek. :wink: I think it's fair to say a significant minority of people here are neeky in some way or other.
ukebert

I imagine he objects to it because under his earlier stated defintion, nerds have no social skills whereas geeks do.
Reply 70
I usually think of it like this:
1. A geek is someone who is technically competent.
2. A nerd is someone who is socially inept.

So these labels are not mutually exclusive, in my mind.
Reply 71
Leaving aside semantic issues and returning to the OP's post, the answer is yes, Oxford is full of neeks (and I gather Cambridge is even worse). Like many people of my age, I like to go out in the evenings to the pub or a club or something. I also like to play sport. I have managed to find a group of friends who also enjoy these activities, but it was not easy, believe me. The majority of people in my college, if asked "do you want to do something this evening?" will say, 80% of the time, "no, sorry, I'm working". It might be a Friday or Saturday night, but people will always be working. I want to tell these people, "take a look at yourselves for god's sake, it's a Friday night, you're 20 years old, and you're sitting in a ******* library!"

75% of people in my college only rarely go out and drink. The work ethic here is far too strong; the drink ethic is far too weak.

So yes, Oxford certainly is full of neeks.
belsk
Leaving aside semantic issues and returning to the OP's post, the answer is yes, Oxford is full of neeks (and I gather Cambridge is even worse). Like many people of my age, I like to go out in the evenings to the pub or a club or something. I also like to play sport. I have managed to find a group of friends who also enjoy these activities, but it was not easy, believe me. The majority of people in my college, if asked "do you want to do something this evening?" will say, 80% of the time, "no, sorry, I'm working". It might be a Friday or Saturday night, but people will always be working. I want to tell these people, "take a look at yourselves for god's sake, it's a Friday night, you're 20 years old, and you're sitting in a ******* library!"

75% of people in my college only rarely go out and drink. The work ethic here is far too strong; the drink ethic is far too weak.

Which college is this? I assure you that Worcester is the opposite :biggrin:
Reply 73
belsk

See to me that is rather less than a bad thing :p: Although my work ethic is far from spotless...

It is interesting how people define slang words. In the common usage in my area, Nerd bore no relation to social skills whatsoever.
belsk

That is not necessarily a bad thing... Besides, I haven't noticed a similar thing here; there always seems to be a lot going on. Maybe it's because it's our first year.
belsk
I want to tell these people, "take a look at yourselves for god's sake, it's a Friday night, you're 20 years old, and you're sitting in a ******* library!"

Lol! That would be met by a serious: "And...." :eyeball: If a person is enjoying themselves, does it matter whether that's in their room, in a bar, in the gym, on the Cam or in the library?

Also, for those 80% that you asked, their refusal to go out with you makes them people with pressing work to be done, not nerds. There's a subtle difference.
Reply 76
OK, so I'm being slightly facetious and I don't really think that massive drinking is the only way to have fun. But I still stick by my view that there are far too many people here with a terrible work/life balance, who can't see anything wrong with staying up all night to work, or spending the whole of a weekend in a library.
Reply 77
belsk
OK, so I'm being slightly facetious and I don't really think that massive drinking is the only way to have fun. But I still stick by my view that there are far too many people here with a terrible work/life balance, who can't see anything wrong with staying up all night to work, or spending the whole of a weekend in a library.

To be fair I have to spend the entire weekend in the library, otherwise I wouldn't get the work done.

Besides, I work well at night, and the Library is a very nice place to be. :p:
belsk

It is a great way, though. :tongue:
I would love to get drunk with a bunch of "NEEKS". It would be Pimms, right? Not white lightning?
belsk

Imo if you see something wrong with spending the whole weekend in a library, then you shouldn't be at Cambridge or Oxford, because its inevitable that you will have to do this at some point or another to complete the work.
If you don't have to do this, it means you don't care that much about doing very well, which turns this into an opinion of yours that people are lame for wanting to excel, to the point of being willing to make sacrifices for it.

Can't you accept that not everybody is the same and not everyone wants the same thing out of life or out of how they spend their time, and not label desires different to you and your friends as 'wrong' or wierd'? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending