The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving uni and question about UCAS

I'm thinking of leaving university due to homesickness and I'm not really enjoying the course at the moment (although I've applied to switch to a different but similar course without needing to drop out). The first day here they told us that 1/4 of us will not graduate which is a shocking figure. I've been quite negative since because I didn't meet my offer by 2 grades but that was partly through no fault of my own but I still got accepted. The reasons that I don't want to leave are that my uni is a good uni (in my opinion), I've made lots of friends and I went on one hell of a rollercoaster ride to get in here. Also, when you're surrounded by geniuses in a lecture theatre who seem to know everything you start to think that you will be that one in four.

I was thinking of doing research before I came here but I heard that a lot of science graduates end up in I.T, business or teaching either straight after their degree or after a masters so I was thinking of going down the business route.

I've made up a plan at the moment. My plan is to apply to universities closer to my home so that I can live at home and not get homesick and for a course that is less intense. My application will be for September 2009 so I will need to apply soon. I'm going to see how I will do in the January exams first though. If I do okay then I think I'll continue with the course but if I do bad then I will have my university applications as a back up.

Also, my question about UCAS - if I apply to other universities while studying at my uni, will my university know about it?

Thanks for reading :smile: Needed to get that off my chest! lol
the thing you heard about science graduates. is it really true. i mean whats the point in doing the degree and then changing to completely different industry such as IT? waste of 4 year degree really because you would need to be trained a lot after graduating lol
Reply 2
footballcrazy12
the thing you heard about science graduates. is it really true. i mean whats the point in doing the degree and then changing to completely different industry such as IT? waste of 4 year degree really because you would need to be trained a lot after graduating lol

Apparently employers love science graduates. I'm not sure why but maybe it's because of the intensity of the course and th skills gained in things such as presentation, practicals? Not sure really lol.
It's right about graduates in terms of how there's so many Science, English, maths, foreign language and other courses yet so few jobs that actually use the specific knowledge. Whereas I think ICT degrees - while seen as a weaker, perhaps - can see you in precisely the same jobs after graduating. That said, almost every job points to ICT Manager in the statistics. :P

What I don't think is true is the strength of each degree - science degrees are hard, and they'll always be valued. In that sense you might go for a job in, say, journalism and be favoured easily over the candidate who actually got a journalism degree. That's a generalisation, though, and isn't true all of the time (and depends on degree classifications, universities, experience, your own initiative..)

To answer the original question, your university would only know if you told them.
Reply 4
Juustuburger
It's right about graduates in terms of how there's so many Science, English, maths, foreign language and other courses yet so few jobs that actually use the specific knowledge. Whereas I think ICT degrees - while seen as a weaker, perhaps - can see you in precisely the same jobs after graduating. That said, almost every job points to ICT Manager in the statistics. :P

What I don't think is true is the strength of each degree - science degrees are hard, and they'll always be valued. In that sense you might go for a job in, say, journalism and be favoured easily over the candidate who actually got a journalism degree. That's a generalisation, though, and isn't true all of the time (and depends on degree classifications, universities, experience, your own initiative..)

To answer the original question, your university would only know if you told them.

Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending