The Student Room Group
I'm aiming for the same position but I prefer to study MA advertising and marketing at Leeds, or MSc marketing at Exeter. To be honest you can't compare British universities to Swedish. If I were you I would go for general marketing at a better uni. Do you have business/marketing background?
Reply 2
So Goldsmiths is not very well regarded?

In Lund there is one year Master degree International Marketing and Brand Management. It looks very interesting...Maybe a word brand would increase my chances to become CBO :smile:

Do you think Lund is a good uni? I guess it will be my first choice. I cant afford UK top business schools :frown:

Yeah I studied marketing and international marketing during my bachelors. I have 5 months work experience as well.
Lund is good comparing Swedish universities to each other and I understand your budget problem but where do you intend to work in the future? Obviously British unis are more famous and known by companies than Swedish, besides classified degrees don't exist in Sweden. I hear a lot of companies ask for transcripts...our modules are pass/fail only.

They changed the grading system to IG, G, VG (Fail, Pass, Pass with distinct) last year but I'm not sure if it applies to master studies.

I guess every thing depends up on where you want to work.
Reply 4
Well I believe Lund is well known internationally as well, am I wrong? I'm not sure where I will work after it, as my only foreign language is English....But MSc is MSc, it wont hurt, right? :smile: Besides, I would have more international experience.

I have 2.1 from UK uni, maybe it would be enough...
You may be right, I guess I'm being picky then.. the Swe uni I'm attending now is 11th in Europe and I just can't consider doing pg at a university with lower rank.

You seem to have already made up your mind so just apply to Lund, you'll enjoy it. :smile:
Reply 6
Well I did a search for one year Business master degrees in Europe which would be cheap/for free and only found Lund uni + 8 unis is the Netherlands. So I have no choice :smile: Besides, I dont believe that other unis would be better/su much better than these one, so why to waste money :smile:

Do you think Leeds or Exeter are in top 10 in europe? I would say they are in top 20 in UK. Try to look at Warwick, Aston, I think they are better :smile:
Reply 7
off topic but if you want to become a brander watch around 1m into this vid http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dNv2xIrfh88
Unfortunately I don't have a business background so Aston, Warwick, Bath,.. are out of question for me. Although I find Leeds MA advertising and marketing very suitable for brand manager position :smile:
Reply 9
So what are you studying now? Medicine?

How do you plan to become a brand manager? To get a general job in marketing department and try to become a brand manager?
Yes, medicine. Well companies like P&G, Mars, L'Oreal,.. hire people with different backgrounds..otherwise I can always work at the health care division of GE health care, Philips and Siemens. I prefer to start working as an assistant brand manager when I'm done with my pg course but if that doesn't happen I don't mind getting a general job in marketing and work my way up.
Reply 11
I see. You should be smart to get to/study medicine at Karolinska :smile: I have no doubts you will achieve your goals!
Reply 12
I guess I need to forget Goldsmiths.

1. Its an average uni overall
2. Its not regarded in business world
3. Its based in London (expensive)
4. The course is new
5. I might have difficulties to find a job because of very specific degree name
6. It costs more than Lund, Netherland unis

I guess I made my decision :smile:
sounds great, who knows we might see each other at work someday! :wink:
Reply 14
Aistian
I guess I need to forget Goldsmiths.

1. Its an average uni overall
2. Its not regarded in business world
3. Its based in London (expensive)
4. The course is new
5. I might have difficulties to find a job because of very specific degree name
6. It costs more than Lund, Netherland unis

1. and 2. are rubbish, as the MA you're looking at seems to have pretty strong ties with business, and it's run by the Media & Comms department, which has a really good reputation for creative research and interdisciplinary study. But the rest of your points stand. London is absurdly expensive, and new courses are always risky, particularly if they're in a niche subject area.
Reply 15
I know that story "close ties with industry ect", have heard it at NTU :smile: I guess all unis say that.

Yes, I know Goldsmiths is quite good in media studies, and that the program in run by media department. However, I would work in marketing department, and I guess my employers would know only about how good are business schools (and Goldsmiths has a crap one). I doubt they would go to Goldsmiths website, find my course, then see that is in Media department, then search how good Goldsmiths is in media studies (times rank) and ect. I guess in real life they just would think that its an average uni, average business school and thats all.

I think this could be 7th minus: the program is run in media department, not business school. Branding is a branch of marketing, which is taught in business school. This is why it was offered by Copenhagen Business School last year and this year by Lund business department, not media. I guess Goldsmiths is just not what I am looking for, Im more into business, not media, if you understand what I want to say.
Reply 16
Well, you've already made your mind up. And, for you, it sounds like the right decision. :smile:

Of course, that said ...

Aistian
Yes, I know Goldsmiths is quite good in media studies, and that the program in run by media department. However, I would work in marketing department, and I guess my employers would know only about how good are business schools (and Goldsmiths has a crap one). I doubt they would go to Goldsmiths website, find my course, then see that is in Media department, then search how good Goldsmiths is in media studies (times rank) and ect. I guess in real life they just would think that its an average uni, average business school and thats all.

This passage seemed a bit weird. I mean, it's never going to be about employer assumptions. Even if you go to Lund (which does look like a sound course), and regardless of where you end up in "real life", you're going to be the one telling your employers about you and what you've done. You're going to need to take the initiative in "selling" yourself and your skills. I seriously doubt it'll be enough to assume they automatically know what you're talking about.

Still, good luck!
Reply 17
I agree, but you need to get to an interview :smile: This is why reputation of uni is important

Latest

Trending

Trending