The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ILIGAN
Yeah, Berkeley is quite beautiful. I probably would have gone there if I didn't make it at Stanford. Princeton and the University of Virginia are lovely as well.

And please take note that the pictures were taken about 2-3 years ago. Berkeley looks even amazing now than in the pictures.

yeh i was there in september this year (just before i started uni in edinburgh) and it was the day of their first college football match (i think it was football anyway) and for some reason they started chanting at the coach in the middle of a square to take his shirt off so he did

i was fun and if i get the opportunity to do my elective out there then i deffinately will!
I agree that Yale and UC Berkeley are very nice, but why the pics of UCSC and UCSD? They're nothing special and appear to be more construction site than college.
I think Cornell and Princeton are the US colleges that are easiest on the eye, Cornell purely because of the grounds. Stanford is nice if you like the whole Mexican thing going on.

i think we have a winner
Reply 43
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Spoiler

MORE LOS ANGELES

Spoiler

Humanities Building

Spoiler

Kerckhoff Hall

Spoiler

Molecular Sciences Building

Spoiler

Powell Library

Spoiler

Royce Hall

Spoiler

School of Law

Spoiler

Reply 44
fieryiceissweet

i think we have a winner

That's the new Math department of Cambridge, right? Lovely!
Small, but certainly lovely!!!
Reply 45
Hedgeman49
I agree that Yale and UC Berkeley are very nice, but why the pics of UCSC and UCSD? They're nothing special and appear to be more construction site than college.
I think Cornell and Princeton are the US colleges that are easiest on the eye, Cornell purely because of the grounds. Stanford is nice if you like the whole Mexican thing going on.

Wait. It takes time to upload the pics :biggrin:
who gives a ****
Reply 47
biomedical-scientist
who gives a ****

Well, who knows... You might have an opportunity to take part in an exchange student program someday. :wink:
Reply 48
There's Whitworth Hall at the University of Manchester that is quite nice but that's about it. My uni has gone building crazy with more modern designs.
Reply 49
Did you take all these pictures?

If you did then I think all these universities should hire you to do their photography for their prospectuses... unless you stole this off the net somewhere...

The buildings are still ugly regardless of the quality of photography. :wink:
Reply 50
Ahh, Wollsmoth, my revolting little troll! How is your application for Economics at Kings getting along? What? Pesky UCAS giving you trouble, just because of small details like it being a figment of your imagination? Tut. Jobsworths.
ILIGAN
That's the new Math department of Cambridge, right? Lovely!
Small, but certainly lovely!!!

damn straight
and no offence, a lot of the pics you are posting actually look like 1990's blocks of flats full of crackwhores and druggies
Reply 52
Stunning pics. You just made me 50x more excited about moving to LA in the summer 2009!!

Gave you rep.
Reply 53
Warwick, wtf?!? No offense but have you actually seen many UK universities? Durham is beautiful, as are many others (there was a thread on it a while back and I couldn't believe how much amazing architecture there was on it!).
Reply 54
Birminghams clock tower ftw :wink:
god america is so amazing. personally i am all for 'legoland oxbridge' but i can see why it wouldnt be to everyones taste. berkley is so much prettier than i had for some reason imagined.

fieryiceissweet

i think we have a winner

a spaceship!
Reply 56
Clements-
I want Harvard pics the most, tbh. I've been there, and my cousin goes there, but still.

Okay. This is what you'll see if you'll be coming from Boston approaching Cambridge, Massachusetts, where Harvard and MIT, two of the world’s greatest universities, are.

Going to Cambridge

To be continued ...
Reply 57
Dude you have like a million photos, great job. How about some of USC? Im headed there :smile:
Reply 58
Jelkin
Warwick, wtf?!? No offense but have you actually seen many UK universities? Durham is beautiful, as are many others (there was a thread on it a while back and I couldn't believe how much amazing architecture there was on it!).

The idea of what a university should be in the UK is perhaps quite different from the US'. A uni like Bristol or Durham wouldn't "click" in the US as much as a school like Warwick or Nottingham would.

The majority of the best schools in the US are campus unis, not unis that are located in the heart of the city.

For sure, Durham looks great, but one can clearly see that in terms of magnitude and facilities, it does not compare to Warwick. In terms of beauty, that's highly subjective. But Warwick has its own well-defined territory and it's very well landscaped too. The whole Warwick area is solely devoted to academic purposes. Warwick owns it entirely and does not share with anybody. That's the advantage of a campus uni.

Warwick's architecture is modern. If you like contemporary designs, you're going to liek Warwick. If not, Oxbridge or St Andrews. At least, they're more consistent tan Durham's architecture is. And, yes, I've been to Durham. Strange enough, I thought the Stockton campus was far better. It was small, but a better campus facility. If it would have been bigger, it would have been a lot nicer, or maybe even nicer than Warwick.

Again, Oxford and St Andrews are really amazing. Durham is also nice, but not entirely world-class or at par with the best ones in the US. It does not even match Cornell’s, to be honest with you, and Cornell isn’t really the best there is in the Northeast, USA. Warwick has the most beautiful, cleanest, tidiest and most massive uni campus in the entire UK. It’s probably the only UK uni that can rival those rich and famous universities in the US. Nottingham is perhaps second to Warwick Newcastle and Birmingham were also gorgeous. LSE was small, ordinary and suffocating. Imperial was disappointing – it doesn’t look world-class. There are really good-looking campuses in the UK, but most of them don’t really compare well with the best ones in the US. However, Cambridge is debatably the most beautiful university on the face of the earth, bar none. Cambridge is enchanting and its antiquated buildings are the real deal.
Reply 59
ycang
Dude you have like a million photos, great job. How about some of USC? Im headed there :smile:

Really? USC's campus is really gorgeous. I'll post USC pics next time. I'll post Harvard and MIT first.

The UC pictures aren't mine. Only those of Yale. I will post my pics of Harvard and MIT in a while.

Latest

Trending

Trending