The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
this is ludicrous, for master the US programs at places like John Hopkins or Tufts are miles above the IR programs at Kings or Warwick in terms of prestige. The only departments in the UK which you can really mention in the same level as the MSFS or MALD are the LSE course and possibly oxbridge (although these don't have such a good reputation overall?). Even then the US programs are really pretty dominant.
Takahashi
The only departments in the UK which you can really mention in the same level as the MSFS or MALD are the LSE course and possibly oxbridge (although these don't have such a good reputation overall?). Even then the US programs are really pretty dominant.

I wouldn't tell that to the postgraduates at St Andrews. Many of them have passed through the same programs you are lauding and they would probably disagree with you. To add context, St Andrews is a sister school of the SFS.
Reply 22
Theres very few Politics universities that even come close to US equivalents

LSE
Oxford
Aberystwyth
Essex
Sheffield
Cambridge (Political Theory)
St Andrews
Kings

You can make a case for Sussex and Warwick

Thats our premier league and even then their university are light years ahead
Reply 23
Shiva17
IR Postgraduate,

What exactly are you looking for. Are you looking for an undergraduate degree or are you looking for a postgraduate degree or are you just looking for a straight comparison.

what people have been giving you thus far are just straight comparisons based on reputations and overall quality of the school. if you want to go based purely on IR then it would be more like this

for international relations

Georgetown: Cambridge
Tufts: UCL
Johns Hopkins: Kings/LSE
George Washington University: Durham/Warick

my comparisons with the british schools might be slightly off just because i don't know the specific rankings of IR at british universities.

Is Georgetown any good? Why do they always rank so low on the us undergraduate league tables? Georgetown is no way close to Cambridge.
Reply 24
Lockhart
Theres very few Politics universities that even come close to US equivalents

LSE
Oxford
Aberystwyth
Essex
Sheffield
Cambridge (Political Theory)
St Andrews
Kings

You can make a case for Sussex and Warwick

Thats our premier league and even then their university are light years ahead

King's surely is one of the very best for politics.
Reply 25
kuka
Cambridge - Yale/Harvard
St Andrews - Upenn
LSE - Princeton
KCL - Brown
Warwick - Berkeley
Durham - Chicago

This is pretty accurate.
Reply 26
jy9626
Is Georgetown any good? Why do they always rank so low on the us undergraduate league tables? Georgetown is no way close to Cambridge.

Georgetown is a really great university for International relations and thats what MY comparisons were based on. I wasn't doing overall rank of schools I was comparing U.S. universities based on their ranking for their international relations programs.

As it stands..even though harvard is a better school OVERALL for IR Tufts and Georgetown rank probably the highest for IR. Thats why in the world of IR i likened Georgetown to Cambridge.
Reply 27
IR Postgraduate
So we might be comparing apples to oranges, but for those of you familiar with universities in the US please play along. For each of the following UK universities, list what you view as the most comparable university in the US (particularly for the study of IR/Politics). Thanks.

Cambridge
St Andrews
LSE
KCL
Warwick
Durham
]

More or less:

Oxbridge = HYPSM

LSE, St Andrews, LSE, Warwick, Durham = Georgetown, JHU, Berkeley
Reply 28
Durham to Georgetown is a terrible comparison

Durham is a blip on the map in UK political science and Georgetown is an elite even for the US
I've done a lot of research into this and here's my rough list from best to "worst":

- Tufts/Columbia
- Johns Hopkins
- Georgetown (reason being, there is no "International Relations" major - you apply to the School of Foreign Service and do majors like Political Economy, International Politics, International Economics, etc. From what I've heard, its very specialized so that would put some people off)
- Yale

Some less-selective places include American University, Seton Hall, Claremont McKenna, UCSD, and GWU.

Latest

Trending

Trending