The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know exactly, but it's definitely nowhere near as much as doctors get. If you're a partner of a practice you can earn around £50,000 but generally I think it's more like £35,000 ish. Much less for new graduates obviously.
Reply 2
Ye, the one vet I spoke to who was newly qualified said it was poor. I thought maybe she just had high standards, i've heard its about 25000 for new grads.
That sometimes includes stuff like transport, living accomadation etc.
Reply 4
average last year was something like £31000 but yeah partner way more new grad less, doctors however average £81000 according to the info liverpool had a question on at interview last year. fair? me thinks not!
Reply 5
i remember that question! the interviewer got sidetracked onto hip replacements!
Reply 6
x_Bex_x
average last year was something like £31000 but yeah partner way more new grad less, doctors however average £81000 according to the info liverpool had a question on at interview last year. fair? me thinks not!

I agree! I wouldn't mind earning an average vet's salary, that's fine. But I don't understand why doctors get such an insane amount of money - ok, it's a hard job, but still... You'd think that the NHS could find better ways of spending it really.
Rebecca J
Ye, the one vet I spoke to who was newly qualified said it was poor. I thought maybe she just had high standards, i've heard its about 25000 for new grads.
That's 4k more than a junior doctor

Rebbers
I agree! I wouldn't mind earning an average vet's salary, that's fine. But I don't understand why doctors get such an insane amount of money - ok, it's a hard job, but still... You'd think that the NHS could find better ways of spending it really.
Try doing the job, doing all the training and then tell me that it's a lot of money. Maybe vet's deserve more, but doctors certainly don't deserve less
Reply 8
crazyhelicopter
That's 4k more than a junior doctor

Try doing the job, doing all the training and then tell me that it's a lot of money. Maybe vet's deserve more, but doctors certainly don't deserve less

Fair enough, but from what I understand doctor's salaries have increased enormously over the past couple of years. I just think that considering the NHS crisis it doesn't seem like a particularly intelligent amount.

Anyway, I think the point of this thread is how much vets earn, not doctors. :smile:
Reply 9
Haha Id have to disagree, vets do exactly as much work/training and have to do more work once graduated as we cant opt out of 24 hour care like GPs can...we'd be struck off!!! So yeh when vets get paid that much I do think the ave for a medic is a little excessive...and Im not at all scoffing at the vet salary!
Rebbers
Fair enough, but from what I understand doctor's salaries have increased enormously over the past couple of years. I just think that considering the NHS crisis it doesn't seem like a particularly intelligent amount.
Junior doctors have earnt themselves the equivalent of a 4k paycut. Other than that wages rise at a similar rate to other health professions. The big earners are those in private practice. And the NHS crisis doesn't result from the amount Docs get paid, but the amount they pay managers and for useless IT systems

tiny_tiger
Haha Id have to disagree, vets do exactly as much work/training and have to do more work once graduated as we cant opt out of 24 hour care like GPs can...we'd be struck off!!! So yeh when vets get paid that much I do think the ave for a medic is a little excessive...and Im not at all scoffing at the vet salary!
I'm not downtreading the work Vets do, and they should be paid more. But Vet's not being highly paid is not a reason for doctors to get less. At the end of the day they have a highly stressful job, work bloody hard and still get less than a lot of other professions

Anyway, I think the point of this thread is how much vets earn, not doctors. :smile:
I know, I was curious coz I thought vets earnt more, then decided to but in, sorry
Reply 11
crazyhelicopter

I know, I was curious coz I thought vets earnt more, then decided to but in, sorry

Sorry, I didn't mean that in an unpleasant way at all. I just meant that the thread probably wasn't supposed to escalate into a vets vs doctors salary debate. Which I should probably take the blame for... :p:
Reply 12
thought vets earnt more

dont worry its an incredibly common mistake
Reply 13
I think it varies in different countries?
Rebbers
Sorry, I didn't mean that in an unpleasant way at all. I just meant that the thread probably wasn't supposed to escalate into a vets vs doctors salary debate. Which I should probably take the blame for... :p:
Don't worry I didn't take it badly, just thought I'd best explain why I'd suddenly popped in.
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=193&pageno=2

Says on here, newly qualified starts from £30,000.
Average starting salary around 22k, less if you have a house and car thrown in obviously. You might be lucky enough to find a job for 25k as a new grad. After a couple of years in practice you could be expecting to earn between 32 and 40k, and the top end for a partner in a large practice is probably around 80k if you're lucky.
Soloman
I think it varies in different countries?

definitely. my norwegian friends think we are crazy to study to be vets only to earn so little in the future.
Jesus wouldn't mind 22k for my first job! I know people with degrees that come out and are on as little as ten grand! Hahah, 22k would do me fine, although I suppose you have to start paying back your student loans then :P xx
Reply 19
my new grad friend certainly aint on £30k!

Latest

Trending

Trending