The Student Room Group

Social Sciences Contact Hours - 1994 Group Unis Only

Hi,
This is just a quick question and i'd really appreciate your help if you're on a social sciences course.
Basically at my uni (Loughborough), there is serious issues with the lack of contact time, so we just want to see what the contact time is like for students at similar universities, in similar courses.

So any people on social psychology, sociology, criminology and social policy, or communications and media studies, can you please just tell me which course you're on, which uni, which year you're in, and how many contact hours you have per week?!

Thanks
Criminology and Sociology

2nd year

Currently 8hours (4lectures a week, 2hrs each) of contact time a week

(Edit: Gloucestershire University)
Reply 2
Ermm 12hours

4, 2 hour lectures and 4, 1 hour seminars

Criminology, 1st year

(Edit: London Southbank University)
Reply 3
I do combined honours Psychology. 2nd year.

I have 3 hours of contact time for psychology a week (3 x 1hr lectures) and 2x 1 hour seminars a term.

Single honours students would have approximately twice that time.

(Edit: Aston University)
Reply 4
As a reminder, guys, this is for 1994 Group unis only. So only students from the following universities: -

University of Durham
St Andrews
University of York
University of Bath
University of Exeter
Birbeck
University of Essex
University of East Anglia
Goldsmiths
Royal Holloway
Lancaster
Leicester
Loughborough
Queen Mary
Reading
School of Oriental and African Studies
University of Surrey
University of Sussex

Please don't contribute unless you're studying one of the relevant social science courses at the universities listed above. Thanks.
Reply 5
Are you interested in politics students, then?
no just social science - criminology, social policy, social psychology, sociology and communications and media studies
Reply 7
Fair enough, just politics is a social science so thought it may be applicable. Nevermind.
politics is in a separate department at loughborough!
Reply 9
Society, culture and media at UEA
7 hours a week, plus a weekly film (hah!)
Reply 10
Why 1994 group ones only? :s-smilie::
Reply 11
DaisyM
Society, culture and media at UEA
7 hours a week, plus a weekly film (hah!)

That's probably an arts subject, is it not?

LH123

Because the OP is at a 1994 university and she wants to research "simliar" universities.

(I don't see why 1994 group unis are all "similar" but, that's what she has been asked to do).
Reply 12
River85
Because the OP is at a 1994 university and she wants to research "simliar" universities.

(I don't see why 1994 group unis are all "similar" but, that's what she has been asked to do).

Heh. Yeah I agree with you, why all 1994 universities would be similiar isn't exactly a solid theory.
LH123

because its what my VP of education is asking for, because he wants to compare unis across the same group in terms of contact time - i'm guessing that entry requirements are similar across these or something?
i really don't know, but thats what he wanted.
Reply 14
suicidal_dream
because its what my VP of education is asking for, because he wants to compare unis across the same group in terms of contact time - i'm guessing that entry requirements are similar across these or something?
i really don't know, but thats what he wanted.

Not really, it's just a group of smaller, reasearch intensive unis. This is the only thing they have in commonm size. Just like the Russell Group, a collection of larger research intensive unis (and not a group of the "best" universities). In response to the RG the smaller, research unis created the 1994 Group.

I wouldn't say Durham have similar entry requirements to QMUL, York to UEA etc.

Latest