The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Special guys live surrounded us
my nephews father said that if his son became gay he'd beat it out of him.

i replied with if you did that id return the favour with interest.

My father is racist so's my brother but niether overtly so though my father wouldnt like me bringing home a non white girlfriend but he'd get over it
Reply 62
Nebthet
Quote (from reputation): "Sorry, have to neg for you implying that German is a race."

Saying, "Omg, that Nazi b*tch" when I walk in a room... If that's not racist... What is it? I'll amend my ways and call it something else if it makes you sleep better. Just tell me what to call it. - Oh, and why didn't you leave your name (whoever you are)?

Countryist? Nationalityist? ...??

LMAO:biggrin:
Reply 63
Quote (from reputation):

Sorry, have to neg you for supporting spurs.

No hard feelings

Oh. My. Lord.

What is it with me and getting negged off this board? :eek:

Ignore me people, ignore me!
Reply 64
genuinely homophobics and racists have very warped views of the world. It's unfortunate that they think the way that they do, and they could change their attitudes if they wanted, but they wont, so leave them to it. I'm a student and I have nothing better to do, so the other day I watched the Jeremy Kyle show (awesome programme:biggrin:) and there was this woman on there who said she hated black people, and that she hated the fact that her daughter had a black boyfriend - she also said she'd never accept black grandchildren. She could never properly justify her hatred, and it was scary to see a person who was truly racist. I've never known any real racism in my life, since where I went to school there weren't many minorities, and I spent my time with some pretty accepting people; so when this woman started talking it was a complete shock to me - it seemed impossible for a person to be able to think as she did, without being able to offer one good, solid, logical reason for doing so.
As far as homophobia goes, it's really been the same sort of thing. Being gay, I had never known much prejudice against homosexuality until i came to university, though my flatmate does like to tease me a bit, and even I say that overly camp people really annoy me (I've been described as the homophobic homosexual :smile: ) . But it still shocks me that people deeply and truly care so very much about the colour of someone's skin or what a loving couple do in the privacy of their own bedroom.
Sure, there are always the odd jokes here and there, and it's not like the media hasn't done its bit to hammer in the black racial stereotype, and I always know, that when my friends and I (my black or otherwise friends included) make the occasional racist joke, it isn't the race we're mocking, but the idiotic perspectives of ignorant people. They're racist jokes in the sense that they're jokes that are designed to satirise racists, and not promote the hatred of races.
Me dar.
Reply 66
I'm not homophobic, I just think they are disgusting. And racism is a crime, and crime is for nig nogs.
Reply 67
A lot of older people would probably be classed as racist or homophobic, but that's just the way things were back then.

Thankfully today our society is more tolerant, and attitudes are changing.
I know people who are like this (I am even guilty of it myself at times), but it's just our way of dealing with people who we see as different from ourselves. Similar would happen in other countries too - for example, my brother visited Japan this year, and he got a number of stares from people given that he was 6 ft 1 tall (most people in Japan don't even reach 6 ft tall). It is part of a society's institutional framework, and it is hard to change overnight. I wouldn't view it as a major problem, as you will always get people who can't coexist with people who are different.
i don't care if they are. it's a free country, and we cannot prescribe for others.

Besides a "bad" belief is highly subjective. Everything that exists is subjective.

Latest

Trending

Trending