Profesh
Independent, and free (and you get to play as Shiva):

Download it here.

I LOVED Streets of Rage! Amazing game!
I have it on the Sega Mega Drive, still :biggrin:
Maybe I should play it again...
Reply 42
nigel_s
Awesome thread. OK I'm confused about Abandonware - are we allowed to post abandonware or not? Because I know a few good abandonware games, but I don't want to post them if it'll just get deleted.

Updated my post so it's now the second post in the thread
Reply 43
Combat Arms
Free multiplayer online FPS from Nexon. http://combatarms.nexon.net/Intro.aspx You need to register for a free Nexon account to play.
There is a "Black Market" available to enhance the amount of in game cash you have but is extremely playable without paying a penny. Bit of a cross between CoD4 and CSS. A persistent levelling system and rather than buying your upgrades they are rented with game points, the cost going up for more powerful items and dependent on how long you want them for. Graphics are pretty good for a free game and it's been designed to run on low spec machines. When downloading, make sure you get the right version for your part of the world, there are European and Pacific clients.

Reply 44
Independent, and free:

Within A Deep Forest is a freeware game, taking place in the year 2500, after a devastating war has left the Earth a desolate wasteland. One of the survivors, the infamous and notorious Dr. Cliché, creates a time machine that enables him to travel many hundreds of years back in time in order to complete his most dastardly deed, the building of an underwater laboratory in which he has placed the most powerful bomb the world has yet known. If ever this bomb should explode, the entire planet will freeze and all life will be lost. "In this way, Dr. Cliché aims to eliminate beyond all reckoning the possibility of such a future ever coming to pass." As the game starts the bomb has been activated and the world lies in grave danger.

The bomb is in fact Dr. Cliché's second attempt as "his first attempt failed and instead lead to the creation of a ball, although, no ordinary ball." The player controls this ball throughout the game. The ball can be transformed into different substances with various materials found in the landscape. Many hazards, including spikes, water, lava, and certain creatures can kill the ball. There are warp spots (save points) at certain places in the game areas. When the ball is killed, it reappears in the last warp spot visited.

Download it here.
Some new games to look out for/play.

Quake Live:

http://www.quakelive.com/

Basically it's based on Quake III Arena, but you can run it through your browser for free (open Beta). :yy:

Screenshot

Trailer

Battlefield Heroes:

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/

In a closed Beta at the moment, but it's a cartoon shooter in Battlefield style. Free to play also and will be downloaded from that website.

Screenshot

Trailer

Hope these two are along the right lines for the thread... Just seem like great free to play games.
Reply 46
Independent, and free:

Nifflas' latest game, Knytt Stories, features Juni, a character who shows up commonly in Knytt myths and stories. In the game, the player acts out these stories (also called levels or worlds) as Juni. The two stories that comes bundled with the game, "Tutorial - Learn How to Play Knytt Stories" and "The Machine - A Save-the-World Adventure," are fairly short, but the game comes with a full level editor and support for many extra levels in game, loaded from .knytt.bin files. This format is meant to allow for easy access to new stories designed by Nifflas as well as to encourage community development of expansion packs and third party stories. To date, Nifflas has released two official expansion packs, A Strange Dream (featuring the 4 stories: "A Strange Dream - That Night, She Had a Strange Dream," "An Underwater Adventure - ...In an Underwater Laboratory," "Sky Flower - Abstract and Slightly Pretentious," and "This Level is Unfinished - The Author Simply Lost His Interest"), and Other Levels (featuring the story: "Gustav's Daughter"). Nifflas has also released a story the purpose of which is to explain some of the advanced features available for level design. This story is entitled "Advanced Features Demo - Useful for Level Designers."

Download it here.
Reply 47
Do mods for Morrowind/Oblivion count? Because the Morrowind maps at Tamriel Rebuilt are epic. There's also tons other at Planet Elder Scrolls. Obviously you need to own the original game, but some of the added content truly is amazing.
Reply 48
Jace Falco
x
Sorry hun, but removed your post. Much as I love them, the games available with that are abandonware and not legally available for free.
Reply 49
MASQ is amazing.
Dalimyr
Sorry hun, but removed your post. Much as I love them, the games available with that are abandonware and not legally available for free.

They said in the PC Gamer podcast that it was OK :dry:

darkos87
MASQ is amazing.

Isn't it just?
Reply 51
Jace Falco
They said in the PC Gamer podcast that it was OK :dry:

Isn't it just?

You do realise that PCG's staff are proud to have got the first ever ban from Spore's server for uploading a penis creature (which was against the game's T&Cs), right? :p: Hehe, the PC Gamer lot condone abandonware and that's clear as day if you read some sections of the magazine, but they'd never distribute it on their discs due to legal issues. They're quite happy to piss about and do naughty things, but what they're actually allowed to stick in the mag is quite a different matter.

And yes, MASQ is a wonderful game.
Reply 52
Dalimyr
You do realise that PCG's staff are proud to have got the first ever ban from Spore's server for uploading a penis creature (which was against the game's T&Cs), right? :p: Hehe, the PC Gamer lot condone abandonware and that's clear as day if you read some sections of the magazine, but they'd never distribute it on their discs due to legal issues. They're quite happy to piss about and do naughty things, but what they're actually allowed to stick in the mag is quite a different matter.

And yes, MASQ is a wonderful game.

Would you be amenable to 'stickying' this thread at some point? I'd say it qualifies as a resource.
Reply 53
nigel_s
Do mods for Morrowind/Oblivion count? Because the Morrowind maps at Tamriel Rebuilt are epic. There's also tons other at Planet Elder Scrolls. Obviously you need to own the original game, but some of the added content truly is amazing.

I don't see why not.
Reply 54
Profesh
Would you be amenable to 'stickying' this thread at some point? I'd say it qualifies as a resource.
Done :smile:

I've also added a list of the games submitted so far, found here...and I'm surprised that absolutely no suggestions were doubled. Normally by the time a thread like this hits 50 posts you'd have at least one title with 3+ people suggesting it as if they were the first one to do so :p:
Reply 55
Dalimyr
Done :smile:

I've also added a list of the games submitted so far, found here...and I'm surprised that absolutely no suggestions were doubled. Normally by the time a thread like this hits 50 posts you'd have at least one title with 3+ people suggesting it as if they were the first one to do so :p:

Very much obliged; thankyou.
While it's not yet out, this is worth a mention. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Restoration Project. This very-nearly-out-honestly-so-close-nearly-there-not-much-longer-really fix of the iconic KotOR II is designed to reintroduce the many aspects of that great game that Obsidian were forced, by LucasArts' draconian chasing up of deadlines, to cut. Fans of the game found that the vast majority of files for these elements still existed in the game's directory, and so a team of modders set about repairing the damage.
EA have made Red Alert freeware now as part of it's 13th anniversary. :yep:

Check it out here
Liquid_Explosion
EA have made Red Alert freeware now as part of it's 13th anniversary. :yep:

Check it out here

:woo: :woo:

Oh, the childhood memories, the nostalgia! I wonder if it's possible to get Aftermath and Counterstrike as well. I remember well the secret easter egg mission in Counterstrike :yep:
Jace Falco
:woo: :woo:

Oh, the childhood memories, the nostalgia! I wonder if it's possible to get Aftermath and Counterstrike as well. I remember well the secret easter egg mission in Counterstrike :yep:

Yes, Aftermath and Counterstrike are also available. Forgot to link them.

Find them here.

I still have my original discs :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest