Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much is being a physiotherapist worth???

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i was jus wondering does anyone know roughly how much you earn by being a physiotherapist and if its a good career choice???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    should be moved-

ermmmm, its an allied health professional, do some research on NHS careers, it's got a lot of options, eg within hospital, private clinics or even as your own buisness.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    there a re too many and not enough jobs from what i heard
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw7055)
    there a re too many and not enough jobs from what i heard

really??? damn!! ive already applied for the course but i thawt there wernt enough
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gawjus56)
    really??? damn!! ive already applied for the course but i thawt there wernt enough

Well thank god you don't need good writing skills :p:

Depends how good you are at it really, where are you studing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    well it depends what you want to do. unless you want to end up doing rehab for the nhs you either need to know someone or be really good. I have been to some awful sports physios, they lost my business straight away.
    If you want to do sport physio i would suggest qualifying as a fitness instructor too, my friend did this and it helped him earn more money and build a customer base
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Well thank god you don't need good writing skills :p:

Depends how good you are at it really, where are you studing?

looks like im not the only one with lack of good writing skills :p:

at the moment im studying Human Biology, Sociology and ICT at A2, did Maths at AS but seriously did not like it....
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    looks like im not the only one with lack of good writing skills :p:

at the moment im studying Human Biology, Sociology and ICT at A2, did Maths at AS but seriously did not like it....

So you going to uni to do Physiotherapy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you going to uni to do Physiotherapy?
    yep hopefully *fingers crossed*, i sent off my application today, seriously dont want any rejections!! i hate the waiting part appliactions, they're torture!!!:woo: :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    yep hopefully *fingers crossed*, i sent off my application today, seriously dont want any rejections!! i hate the waiting part appliactions, they're torture!!!:woo: :eek:

Where have you applied?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, prepare yourself though! Physio is VERY competitive, I don't think many get all their offers...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There has been a jobs crisis, but that seems to be resolving gradually, so by the time you graduate it'll hopefully be sorted. Of this year's graduates from my uni, apparently about 70% of them have found jobs already.

If you do want to work in the private sector, expect to do five years in the NHS first before anywhere'll look at you seriously. There are schemes to help mentor you if you want to set up on your own or with friends from the course.

Nothing against you but you'd be very unusual not to get any rejections - there are way more applicants than places. On the plus side if you do get in there's decent fundign compared to a lot of degrees
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where have you applied?

ive applied at oxford brookes, kings college, brunel, hertfordshire and bournemouth

what about you, are you doing physio aswell??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    Hmm, prepare yourself though! Physio is VERY competitive, I don't think many get all their offers...
    getting all offers would be a miracle which im not really counting on, but im hoping that atleast i can do the course at a decent university
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainmacn)
    There has been a jobs crisis, but that seems to be resolving gradually, so by the time you graduate it'll hopefully be sorted. Of this year's graduates from my uni, apparently about 70% of them have found jobs already.

If you do want to work in the private sector, expect to do five years in the NHS first before anywhere'll look at you seriously. There are schemes to help mentor you if you want to set up on your own or with friends from the course.

Nothing against you but you'd be very unusual not to get any rejections - there are way more applicants than places. On the plus side if you do get in there's decent fundign compared to a lot of degrees
    yeah, ive checked out the funding and it seems pretty good compared to other courses, hopefully the job crisis will be over by the time i graduate
    70% is quite impressive thank anyways
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive applied at oxford brookes, kings college, brunel, hertfordshire and bournemouth

what about you, are you doing physio aswell??

umm nope lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm at George's, and I think it's one of the highest rates, so perhaps it's unrealistic to expect that for everywhere, but it's certainly higher this year than the previous year, and I think will increase. You may even get asked about it as an interview question.

Think I said something about how I expected it to have improved by the time I graduate, and also how physios actually help reduce length of stay in hospital (patients often aren't sent home until they're considered safe - i.e. can mobilise on their own if they live alone) so a bit of extra physio can save the hozzy quite a lot of money - which is what drives a lot of decisions.

Also worth a look from a lot of angles is

www.csp.org.uk

which is the national body of physios
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainmacn)
    I'm at George's, and I think it's one of the highest rates, so perhaps it's unrealistic to expect that for everywhere, but it's certainly higher this year than the previous year, and I think will increase. You may even get asked about it as an interview question.

Think I said something about how I expected it to have improved by the time I graduate, and also how physios actually help reduce length of stay in hospital (patients often aren't sent home until they're considered safe - i.e. can mobilise on their own if they live alone) so a bit of extra physio can save the hozzy quite a lot of money - which is what drives a lot of decisions.

Also worth a look from a lot of angles is

www.csp.org.uk

which is the national body of physios
    thanks i was wondering what they would ask at interviews, atleast i got something that myt come up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you dig down a few pages there are threads on what has come up in previous years

I do actually have the George's questions for last year as I helped out with interviews, but it would be wrong of me to post it I think. They do tell you if you're coming to itnerview at George's to think about these topics, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I think some places do group tasks to see how well you fit in with others as well - but have a look for the old thread for details
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    as for starting pay then that depends on where you work - out of London and in the NHS then yu're looking at around 19.5k, in London and in the NHS then around 24.5k

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 28, 2008
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.