The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Nottingham

Okay, below is my current situation regarding uni apps and offers. All of them are for BA geography - so I intend on doing a predominantly human based course although I will be doing a wide range of modules I would imagine...

Sheffield - ABB
Nottingham - AAB
Southampton - AAB
Durham - Pending
Exeter - Pending

After much thought, I'm kind of thinking that my decision will come down to Sheffield or Nottingham (assuming I get a rejection from Durham) as these are my favorites (at the moment). I haven't visited Sheffield yet, but have with Nottingham, however I have heard a lot about Sheffield and have quite a good idea about what it is like (I'm visiting Sheff in Feb btw).

I was really mad keen on Nottingham, but I am now thinking that I don't like the idea of being distanced from the town and (don't slam me for saying this) but Sheffield is supposedly the safest city in England and Nottingham is supposedly the most crime-filled. Yes, all cities have there rough parts, and yes, if you use common sense you should be fine but stereotypes have to arise from somewhere...

Further, I'm kind of getting an impression, perhaps a wrong one, that the students at Sheffield are all really laid back and all the locals are friendly... The fact that Sheffield has one of the biggest, and best (apparently), geography departments in England is also turning out to be quite a magnet...

So fire away people, Sheffield or Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
both highly reputable / red brick uni's but i'd say nottingham is probably deemed slightly higher in the eyes of your employers based on prestige.

the crime in 'Shottingham' isn't quite as bad as the media hypes it up to be. Every city has its bad crime rates and i doubt Sheffields would differ much. My cousin lives opposite a gun shop in nottingham (goes to trent) and he says he hasnt encountered any troubles as of yet.

i don't know much about sheffield but i'd suggest you go to both the open days, do some more research into the uni's and decide then.. u still have time
Reply 2
Hmm yeah, I suppose that the slight reputation difference is maybe worth considering and it is something I'm wary of.

But I just can't see the difference in reputation between Nottingham and Sheffield making a big impact on the rest of my life. Especially as, at the moment, I don't intend on working for a bank/in the finance sector which is where uni rep tends to matter...
Reply 3
Sheffield is amazing! I've just left and still go back all the time because I miss it soooooooo much, and my housemate did geography and loved it. Seriously, Sheffield's a brilliant, very studenty city and I'm so glad I spent 3 years there! (Nottingham was one of my other options btw)
Having said that, Nottingham is a cool city too, I just think Sheffield is more friendly and very student-orientated, I never met anyone at uni who didn't love the city!
Oh also, the union is brilliant too, whereas I haven't heard so much good stuff about the Notts one.
I love Sheffield, in every way and I know I'm biased but I can point out so many ways in which its better than Nottingham too.
- Nottingham's campus is very much out of the city centre, whereas Sheffield is located in a great position
- Sheffield is an incredibly studenty town, and the locals here really don't mind. In other places locals can get resentful of students invading their turf so to speak.
- Crime rates in Sheffield are much better than Nottingham
- People here are more laid back. The pressure isnt on so much academically, and there is lots of emphasis on fun and enjoying yourself.
- Sheffields Union has lots of events covering many different areas, and has the best Student Union in the country (as ranked by NUS this year)
- Although Nottinghams reputation may be a little better than Sheffields, the Geography department here is on top form. Lots of experts in certain fields or so ive heard.
- Housing and accomodation here is top quality, and I never saw better at Nottingham
- Lots of students at Nottingham take their studies v.seriously. Now I'm not saying thats a bad thing, but you get a good mix of fun and seriousness at Shef.

All things considered though, don't rush into any decisons. Have a look at both on Open Days and go to the one you prefer. Its best to go on gut instinct in some ways.
Reply 5
I went to visit Sheffield with my mum..we got lost and asked loads of locals to help us out and everyone was sooo helpful and friendly, very different to where I'm from, in London and down South in general.

The student accommodation in the Edge village was sooo nice too. And the uni was a short tram ride into the city centre.
Reply 6
Awww the locals are amazing aren't they! I remember on my first day after I'd moved in I was with my mum, just left my halls and was trying to find somewhere for lunch and these 2 local women stopped us to ask if we were lost (we must have looked very lost!) and told us somewhere really good to go, gave me the best impression of Sheffield ever!
Reply 7
Grapevine
but Sheffield is supposedly the safest city in England

I've hard this before, mentioned in the Sheffield forum a few months ago, and it's probably came from some sort of official source or survey but it's just not true (not according to official crime figures). Assuming we're talking large cities (as Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, Canterbury etc, will have lower crime) then it's certainly one of the lowest, still not the lowest.

Sheffield, for such a major city, does only have reasonable crime rates. But, they still signifiantly higher than a handful of other major cities. Newcastle, and the wider Tyneside conurbation, is probably the safest. Major crime ranges from just below average to only just above. All other major cities have singificantly higher crime. This is recorded crime, of course. Maybe Tynesiders are just too thick or apathetic to report crime :s-smilie:

I've never had any problems in Sheffield, except for one guy who, as I left a gig there, was trying to sell me drugs (I won't go into specifics of what they were here) but I kept refusing. So he eventually said, "right, take these as a free gift then" and I just wanted to get away, so continued to walk away (with the stuff in my pocket hoping to carefully deal with them) but he called me back and demanded to give him money or give the stuff back. I chose the latter option and left, as fast as I could.

Something like that can happen in any city though. My brother spent five years in Sheffield and didn't have any trouble (he's probably had more trouble in his semi-rural home village!)

Sheffield's great pull, for me, would be the Peak District. I'd really appreciate having a National Park right on my doorstep virtually. It's also a lot greener and leafy than most cities. Even so, I'm not sure if I should really give my opinions of Sheffield too much (and bias you). Lets just say that it's not my sort of city. But, then again, in my limited experience of Nottingham I just wouldn't really chose to live there. Nothing really wrong with Nottingham, it's just only a handful of cities have really appealed to me over the years (Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff and Bristol). I'm a bit picky.

About Nottingham's reputation as "the gun capital". It was just media hype, they had an axe to grind for some reason and unfairly chose Nottingham, making it out as the centre of the trouble. Manchester and London will be a lot worse. Jow many serious knife or gun incidents in Nottingham do you hear about now? Where once they used to be quite common, now it's more Manchester and London (and, to a lesser extent, Liverpool). Gun and knife crime is rising in every city. You're in a fairly safe and well contained campus, at Nottingham, and you're always more likely to never be a victim of serious crime in your life.

About the difference in reputation. Nottingham is the university that has really expanded over the past twenty years to claim itself as being on the "UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol" level. Or an "Oxbridge alternative". Sheffield is the solid redbrick that's always been there or thereabouts over the years. I don't think the difference is really anything to worry about. You're right to focus on course and location more.
Reply 8
River85
I've hard this before, mentioned in the Sheffield forum a few months ago, and it's probably came from some sort of official source or survey but it's just not true (not according to official crime figures). Assuming we're talking large cities (as Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, Canterbury etc

OK, first of all I don't know what official statistics you are looking at because according to home office statistics it is the safest city. Anyway, we you shouldn't really be looking at crime statistics because they are socially constructed and very much subject to bias. I was more looking for peoples experiences of the two universities in terms of safety/friendliness of locals...

Moving on, I don't really see how places like Exeter/Cambridge can be considered large :s-smilie: Assuming you are using population statistics which is generally the agreed way of classifying the size of a city.. I always think of the large cities as B'ham, Leeds, Sheffield and London etc.
Reply 9
Grapevine
Okay, below is my current situation regarding uni apps and offers. All of them are for BA geography - so I intend on doing a predominantly human based course although I will be doing a wide range of modules I would imagine...

Sheffield - ABB
Nottingham - AAB
Southampton - AAB
Durham - Pending
Exeter - Pending

After much thought, I'm kind of thinking that my decision will come down to Sheffield or Nottingham (assuming I get a rejection from Durham) as these are my favorites (at the moment). I haven't visited Sheffield yet, but have with Nottingham, however I have heard a lot about Sheffield and have quite a good idea about what it is like (I'm visiting Sheff in Feb btw).

I was really mad keen on Nottingham, but I am now thinking that I don't like the idea of being distanced from the town and (don't slam me for saying this) but Sheffield is supposedly the safest city in England and Nottingham is supposedly the most crime-filled. Yes, all cities have there rough parts, and yes, if you use common sense you should be fine but stereotypes have to arise from somewhere...

Further, I'm kind of getting an impression, perhaps a wrong one, that the students at Sheffield are all really laid back and all the locals are friendly... The fact that Sheffield has one of the biggest, and best (apparently), geography departments in England is also turning out to be quite a magnet...

So fire away people, Sheffield or Nottingham?

Someone needs to say this:

Why not Southampton it's amazing!!!

There we go :smile:
Reply 10
Snobpence17
Someone needs to say this:

Why not Southampton it's amazing!!!

There we go :smile:

I know, I just dunno how I'm going to decide :frown:

Although with Southampton a lot of the people from my school, and indeed the local area have applied and intend on going there, and I really want uni to be a fresh start away from everyone I know...
Nottingham has high crime rates because their police record more than other police services. It looks worse than it is, so don't let it affect your choice. Would it be more sensible to put Nottingham as a firm choice as it wants higher grades? But really you need to visit Sheffield to be sure.
Reply 12
Haz313

the crime in 'Shottingham' isn't quite as bad as the media hypes it up to be. Every city has its bad crime rates and i doubt Sheffields would differ much.

I know Nottingham quite well and i live in sheffield and they're both pretty much the same in the safeness as long as you know which areas to stay out of your but every city has areas like that. I think Nottinghams bad areas are slightly worse but as long as you don't go for a wander in St Anns then i think you'll be fine. :biggrin:
Reply 13
ArtGoblin
Would it be more sensible to put Nottingham as a firm choice as it wants higher grades?

If I want to go to Sheff more so than Notts then no - it would be silly.
Grapevine
If I want to go to Sheff more so than Notts then no - it would be silly.

Well, then you know you're answer. Why bother asking?
Reply 15
ArtGoblin
Well, then you know you're answer. Why bother asking?

That was just a hypothetical example - although it didn't seem that way...

What I'm saying is, its silly just putting a uni as your firm because the requirements are higher despite wanting to go to one with lower entry requirements more so...

Think about it.
Reply 16
Grapevine
OK, first of all I don't know what official statistics you are looking at because according to home office statistics it is the safest city. Anyway, we you shouldn't really be looking at crime statistics because they are socially constructed and very much subject to bias.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence. They are and I think this debate shows that. First of all, I was mainly referring to police forces and that Northumbria polce has the lowest (or amongst the lowest) recorded crime figures in the country. This is a little misleading as, unlike South Yorkshire, it includes large sparsely populated rural areas (like the majority of Nothumberland) as well as major, built up urban areas of Tyneside and Wearside. In terms of the cities themselves there's no real difference.

You have the issue of how crime is compiled. Are we talking reported crime etc? Or any extra weightings placed on them?

I was taking my figures from the Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnership (who get their figures from all forces directly). The Home Office probably place their own weightings onto them.

Take the CDP's figures then, for a selection of major nothern cities (and Nottingham) we have this: -

In bold we have the figure for the city (offences per 1,000 of the population) and then, next to that, the national average.

Newcastle

Violence against the person 21.8 16.7
Robbery offences 1.5 1.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 3.4 2.9
Sexual offences 1.3 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 8.2 4.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 11.5 7.6

Sheffield

Violence against the person 19.3 16.7
Robbery offences 2.1 1.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 5.9 2.9
Sexual offences 1.0 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 8.6 4.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 18.6 7.6

Nottingham

Violence against the person 35.4 16.7
Robbery offences 6.3 1.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 6.5 2.9
Sexual offences 2.4 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 19.3 4.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 24.0 7.6

Manchester

Violence against the person 32.7 16.7
Robbery offences 8.3 1.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 8.9 2.9
Sexual offences 1.9 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 16.5 4.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 25.5 7.6

Placing complete faith in these statisitcs isn't wise. Don't forget that they are "per 1,000 of the population" and this can be misleading. Every weekend these cities are flooded with people from elswhere in region and the country (particularly the case with Newcastle and Manchester). It's during these times that violence against a person can be quite high. Also, to Sheffield's credit, violence against a person remains fairly low. It is probably the most common kind of crime and the figures suggest they've kept it under reasonable control.

It's clear there isn't much difference and, that for a large city, Sheffield does have a comparitvely low amount of crime.

Like I said, my brother had absolutely no problems during his time in the city (and would probably have more trouble in his home village).

I don't find either cities quite as friendly as I'm used to back home (and my experience of Nottingham is more limited) but I've been more impressed by Sheffield. You have the stereotypical Yorkshire warmth ("alright m'duck") which is still there. I've never met an unfriendly person in Sheffield (well, that was that mad woman who started shouting abuse at my father but that's a whole other story, she wasn't typical :p: ) I don't think society has been completely eroded or destroyed, not yet.

Grapevine
Moving on, I don't really see how places like Exeter/Cambridge can be considered large :s-smilie: Assuming you are using population statistics which is generally the agreed way of classifying the size of a city.. I always think of the large cities as B'ham, Leeds, Sheffield and London etc.

Sorry, that was a case of my brain moving faster than my typing fingers. It should say, "Assuming we're talking large cities (as Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, Canterbury etc, will have lower crime but are small cities so that's expected).

Anyway, I still say that. Nottingham is campus based, quite self contained and I'm sure a fairly secure environment. Its crime rates are high but this could be down to more people reporting crime (not necessarily "more crime") and if you avoid the worst areas, which I'm sure is fairly easy, then it shouldn't be an issue. Sheffield is in the centre of the city where in theory you'd be at more risk of major crime. But it's by no means an unsafe city.

I've found the people of Sheffield to be fairly friendly, open people. I've actually had conversations with strangers (some of those students albeit local) and this is something that you just can't do in many cities (especially London). My experience of Nottingham is limited but it doesn't quite match up. People just seemed more self-abosrbed. But this is just my impression and it's hard to make generalisations.
River85
(as Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter, Durham, Canterbury etc, will have lower crime)

Not necessarily true! Compare Sheffield:

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/Sheffield-4610.html

With Oxford:

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/Oxford-4418.html

Oxford has a considerably more violent crime and sexual offences than Sheffield, and burglary and robbery are about the same. (I'm assuming most students don't have cars so I'm not mention vehicle-related crime in this context; also I realise these statistics don't include unreported crime).
PS Going back to the original question, I really don't think that looking at crime rates is really the best way of choosing a university.

Firstly, in many cities crime is mainly in localised hotspots which students would normally avoid.

Secondly, much more important than actual crime rates themselves is the perceived threat of crime, and the reality of crime which is actually going to affect students. I feel I am quite well placed to write about this, as I did my undergrad at Cambridge and I am currently doing a postgrad at Nottingham. Although the official crime rates in Cambridge are much lower than in Nottingham, I feel much safer in Nottingham at night: central Cambridge was pretty much a no-go area for students on a Friday or Saturday evening (except for maybe a couple of safe pubs) -- there was a very threatening and aggressive atmosphere and I was once the victim of an entirely unprovoked violent assault, as well as witnessing fights quite regularly. In Nottingham, we have no problems with going to pubs and bars on Fri/Sat nights and the atmosphere is a lot more friendly and safer feeling.

Although having said that, I've seen a lot more evidence of drugs in Nottingham than in Cambridge (one person even asked me if I was selling them - do I look like a drug dealer or something?!).
Reply 19
River85
You have the stereotypical Yorkshire warmth ("alright m'duck") which is still there.

That's the impression I'm getting with Sheffield - friendly, approachable people, which, as a general rule, just don't exist in many other parts of the country.

I need to visit Sheffield though, I may not like it. But the course and geography department at Sheffield appeal to me more so than at Nottingham and the uni seems much more integrated into the city which I see as a good thing, despite liking the luscious, "safe" and green Nottingham campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending