Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Ds lite and R4 card thing.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

As you know, I may be getting a DS lite in the near future and have heard you can get a card for it that you download games onto.

My question is, where do you stand legally if you decide to download a ROM of a game you own?

I am debating whether to get one, but don't want to be funding any illegal activities...

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's still illegal to download games, even if you own them. The chance of being prosecuted, however, is minimal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's still illegal to download games, even if you own them. The chance of being prosecuted, however, is minimal.
    How do they get the gaes on the net in the first place?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This will help explain somewhat, miss ruby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_images
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now I get it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about, if you got a cartridge thing and made backups of your own ROMS on a R4 card?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    That's not true. If you own original game, it is illegal for you to have rom, but you can't share with others.

And yes, you can download ROM and transfer it to Micro SD and put Microsd into R4 or whatever flash cart you use and play any rom you want. Believe me, it is great .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's not true. If you own original game, it is illegal for you to have rom, but you can't share with others.
    This doesn't make sense...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    What about, if you got a cartridge thing and made backups of your own ROMS on a R4 card?

yeah, you could do that. Don't worry so much, thousands of folks do it from all over the place. It's the same with watching cinema releases on your computer, there's way too many people to track down and arrest for something actually quite minor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by k9ruby

yeah, you could do that. Don't worry so much, thousands of folks do it from all over the place. It's the same with watching cinema releases on your computer, there's way too many people to track down and arrest for something actually quite minor.
    But in the UK, are we allowed a personal copy?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so sure. It's better if you find website that deals with R4 gaming/roms and look at their terms and conditions legal section.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you can get a very good deal on these R4 cards at www.consolextras.net
    I know quite a lot of people that have used them and have had no problems at all
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    load of my mates have got theirs from consolextras.net

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 14, 2008
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.