The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Marvi
wots rong wiv writin like this? i cant be bothered 2 write whole word etc. u sound like my mum. is it 2 hard 4 u to understand or sumthin? I can write in perfect English if you would prefere.

There's no 'e' at the end of prefer :wink:
Sorry, too much french today. I will try to improve my English for you (fluffy and helenia), but I cannot spell, so don't be too picky or you will waste a lot of your time. you may think I should try and learn to spell, but I cannot be bothered when there is a spell checker on my computer (you can critisize this too if you want)

marvi

ps. i know I have spelt critisize wrong, and you can tell me how to spell it if you think it would benefit any of us.
Reply 42
Amystrangeglove
bio, chem, math and psychology. Psychology is really interesting and has loads of biological concepts init that would compliment the field u want to go into.

Totally agree, when looking at Universities for Medicine i asked what subjects they would like and i got the standard reply of minimum of two sciences plus a humanities! id do maths AS as well if i were u...

I think psychology is ur best bet coz there is some science aspects within the subject but there is a damn lot to learn. I took Biology, chem, psychology and law ( just coz i find it damn interesting) in the end but unfortunately changed my mind about medicine coz didnt want to commit lol so now doing Human Genetics which shud lead me nicely in to the Graduate Medicine degree when ive made my mind up that medicine is for me... :smile:
Reply 43
Marvi
Sorry, too much french today. I will try to improve my English for you (fluffy and helenia), but I cannot spell, so don't be too picky or you will waste a lot of your time. you may think I should try and learn to spell, but I cannot be bothered when there is a spell checker on my computer (you can critisize this too if you want)

marvi

ps. i know I have spelt critisize wrong, and you can tell me how to spell it if you think it would benefit any of us.

You might want to learn to spell before you start prescribing - the odd mispelt word here and there could kill...
Fluffy
You might want to learn to spell before you start prescribing - the odd mispelt word here and there could kill...

thanx fluffy :biggrin:
Reply 45
PLus geography is boring and it sucks...in my opinion lol
Reply 46
MOST MED SCHOOLS DO NOT COUNT FURTHER MATHS AS A SEPERATE A LEVEL

All i can say is the uni's i've come across say exactly that, so unless your back up to med is a maths degree i wouldn't bother stressing yourself and taking your time away from the other stuff you've got to do. Also, they don't tend to like other cross-overs eg bio/sports science or general studies(who ever thought that idiocy up should be shot)

for your info i applied with a Btec national diploma in Art and Design (pass) (called a Foundation) An Agrade in A level Sociology, and A level Psych and AS bio and Chem.

personally i plummed for greater understanding of the patient (they are actually people you know!!!!!), where they're coming from, and how their attitudes will affect how they deal with medical problems.

phone the uni's ask them if you really want to know. at Soton they say that socio and psych are a big part of their course (not just the sciency stuff). For your info I manged to get to interview though still no offer/rejection

Starr
Reply 47
Starr

for your info i applied with a Btec national diploma in Art and Design (pass) (called a Foundation) An Agrade in A level Sociology, and A level Psych and AS bio and Chem.

personally i plummed for greater understanding of the patient (they are actually people you know!!!!!),

Best of luck with soton!

BTW, sociology won't help much with the 'greater understanding', empathy and personality count a hell of a lot more than a few concepts picked up on A-Level courses. besides social medicine is taught alongside molecular and cellular basis of medicine on most courses.
Reply 48
I think Chemistry Biology Maths and English sounds like a good combo......DON'T do 4/5 sciences, 3 sciences and an arty subject is great cos it shows variety....besides you don't need 4 sciences, even the most academic med schools (i.e. cambridge) only require 3 sciences, the rest only 2 and sometimes even one. As long as you've got Chemistry and Biology though, that's the good thing.

Good luck with your application!

Latest