The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i had 8 A*s (not counting 1 in IT short course), got an interview on 27/10 and got an offer earlier this month. on the open day, we were told that they did rank you...i don't know, maybe they do it in cycles.
Reply 21
Harmonium
Cam, UCL and Bristol.

good good :yep:
Reply 22
Vazzyb
good good :yep:

Well, I did consider Beauty Therapy at London School of Fashion, but it requires a BTEC in Beauty. D'oh.
:frown:
Reply 23
Harmonium
Well, I did consider Beauty Therapy at London School of Fashion, but it requires a BTEC in Beauty. D'oh.
:frown:

cool :smile:
Reply 24
well i had 10a*s at gcse, and only just heard from birmingham and have an interview on 21st Jan, which is quite alot of notice, a good thing i spose. I didnt send mi ucas until like the 13th of october but someone in my school who got an interview, sent theirs on the 1st of october.

What are the chances of offer after interview? ive heard so many different stories and was just wondering.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

glenn22
Reply 25
glenn22

What are the chances of offer after interview? ive heard so many different stories and was just wondering.

i dont know the exact figures but they're extremely high.
80-90% I think.
Reply 27
mikeuk2006
The rumour is that birmingham medical school take all applications and order them in the number of A*s achieved at gcse, then they invite candidates to interview starting from the most A*s until they have given out enough offers.
I was hoping people could state how many A*s at gcse they got and whether theyd received an interview if they had applied there???

Yeah, i got 8 A*'s at GCSE and had an interview in October. Even though i thought i did terribly, i got an offer from them (AAB) after 3 weeks. I still wonder how i managed that ... :rolleyes:
Reply 28
glenn22
well i had 10a*s at gcse, and only just heard from birmingham and have an interview on 21st Jan, which is quite alot of notice, a good thing i spose. I didnt send mi ucas until like the 13th of october but someone in my school who got an interview, sent theirs on the 1st of october.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

glenn22

I think there's a pretty good chance of getting an offer after an interview at Birmingham. I think I remember reading that 92% of all applicants interviewed at Bham uni get an offer.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Congratulations and good luck :wink:
Reply 29
thank you! your making me feel more at ease, because after my kcl interview, im scared of medical interviews!!!!
haha, how was ur interview, you thought you did terrible? you couldnt have surely?

any major hard questions? or all pretty standard?

thanks, i mite see you at birmingham>>>?
Reply 30
glenn22
thank you! your making me feel more at ease, because after my kcl interview, im scared of medical interviews!!!!
haha, how was ur interview, you thought you did terrible? you couldnt have surely?

any major hard questions? or all pretty standard?

thanks, i mite see you at birmingham>>>?

Lol, u just wanna find out what they asked, don't u? :biggrin: I dont blame u. I felt the same before it.

Trust me, it was nowhere as near as difficult as i expected. I even came 10 mins late! But the panel has three people on it, which is a little intimidating at first, but they are REALLY friendly. They asked me 'Have you always been interested in Medicine or were u interested in other careers first?'

They then asked me about what inspired me to study Medicine. Before i came in, they had highlighted parts of my personal statement so one of the interviewers said, 'I see that you've written here about starting a charity. What steps did u take to set it up?' They didnt ask me about my work experience, but they asked me a lot about what happens after u graduate, my voluntary work (which was at a school for disabled children) and the disadvantges of being a Doc.

I vaguely remember them also asking me if i had read anything interesting in the (medical) news lately, whereby i replied that i had been reading up on diabetes and how it's becoming a pandemic. Trust me, i didnt phrase it in a very sophisticated matter, but they seemed ok with it.

That's all i can remember, lol. Hope this helps! Remember: they know ur nervous, and they take that into account. Just dress smart, shake their hands, don't lie and smile a lot and u'll be fine.

Good luck!!! :o: