The Student Room Group

1984 Love Essay

Hello all,

I was given an essay assignment today about discussing the relationship between Winston and Julia in the novel 1984.
The question is: "Is the love relationship of Winston and Julia a romantic interlude, a political act or a satire on love in the projected future as seen from Orwell's point of view of some combination of these?"
I need help in structuring the essay and getting some strong arguments.

thank you:smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure if you still check this topic, but on the off chance that you are, here's my 5 cents:
In a way, it is a mixture off all 3. It seems to be a satire on love in the projected future in that none of the other characters that we encounter in the book seem to feel anything close to "love" for their partners. The only way for real "love" to exist in this future is to do it in secret where it cannot be censored and you cannot be persecuted.
Although by the end (well, just before the end), both characters appear to be in genuine love with one another, it could be argued that if not for the fact that both went into the relationship as a political act, the genuine love could never have followed.

Latest

Trending

Trending