The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sketched it?
yh
i know its something like it many to one or something however im trying to explain it in words and my wording is not perfect so can you help please
Reply 4
Ok, so lets assume there is an inverse function, are there any points where its going to have to return more than one value?
Reply 5
Did you notice anything about it?
yh?
explain please
Reply 8
Prokaryotic_crap
explain please

Ignore what GHOSH wrote, I can't understand it.

So you can see that the function is many-one and therefore doesn't have an inverse?
yh ok thanks, but one thing. g(x)= (1+2x)^.5 has a valid inverse namely g^-1(x)=(x^2 - 1)/2

isn;t thant many to one e.g. x=5 and x=-5 give you the same y
Reply 10
Prokaryotic_crap
yh ok thanks, but one thing. g(x)= (1+2x)^.5 has a valid inverse namely g^-1(x)=(x^2 - 1)/2

Ermm... what is g(-5)?
root-9?
Prokaryotic_crap

By convention, (1+2x)^.5 is the positive square root only. That means that its inverse is actually only half of the parabola (x^2 - 1)/2, namely:

(x21)/2(x^2 - 1)/2, x0x \geq 0.

Because think about it, the point (1,0)(-1,0) is in the inverse iff (0,1)(0,-1) is in the original function. But g(0)=1g(0)=1, not -1. (because ^0.5 gives you only the positive square root), so this is not true.

---

To answer your original question, a function needs to map each domain value to at most 1 range value. (That's by definition of a function.) So you can't have f(3) = 2 and f(3) = -2, for instance.
The Bachelor
By convention, (1+2x)^.5 is the positive square root only. That means that its inverse is actually only half of the parabola (x^2 - 1)/2, namely:

(x21)/2(x^2 - 1)/2, x0x \geq 0.

Because think about it, the point (1,0)(-1,0) is in the inverse iff (0,1)(0,-1) is in the original function. But g(0)=1g(0)=1, not -1. (because ^0.5 gives you only the positive square root), so this is not true.

---

To answer your original question, a function needs to map each domain value to at most 1 range value. (That's by definition of a function.) So you can't have f(3) = 2 and f(3) = -2, for instance.

thank you that was very helpful

Latest