The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Profesh
It's 'conceal', not 'suppress'. You may conceal love, by suppressing any and all expression thereof. Love, as an abstract concept, cannot be suppressed.

Pedantic; misguided. One can suppress not only concrete nouns, persons, corporate bodies, and communities, but feelings, thoughts, desires, habits, notions, ideas, and states of mind (and, without doubt, countless other things as well). The Oxford English Dictionary says of "suppress":

3. a. To keep secret; to refrain from disclosing or divulging; to refrain from mentioning or stating (either something that ought to be revealed, or that was formerly stated or included, or that may be understood from the context).

--which definition corresponds precisely to the primary definition of "conceal" in the OED.
You can cover it up, but it hurts like hell. lol... :frown:

You can also do a fairly good job of convincing yourself that you actually don't like the person, by focusing on their bad points and making up a few extra ones. This only works when you're away from them though. The minute you see that person again, or they call you, or text you, or someone brings their name up in a conversation, it jumps right back up and hits you in the chest like a baseball bat (even when you've hardly talked to them for 18 months). Blah. *bitter*. Stupid being in love with your friends syndrome.
shootingstar
what did you say to him in response to him "wanting to kiss you"?

well then thing is......i kinda asked him if he wanted to......and then when he said he did i said .....ok good :redface:

ok feel free to call me the dumbest person in the world
gossip_girl
well then thing is......i kinda asked him if he wanted to......and then when he said he did i said .....ok good :redface:

Or a c0ck teasing slag? :eek: :wink:
Toy Soldier
Or a c0ck teasing slag? :eek: :wink:

:eek: or that :redface:
Toy Soldier
You can cover it up, but it hurts like hell. lol... :frown:

You can also do a fairly good job of convincing yourself that you actually don't like the person, by focusing on their bad points and making up a few extra ones. This only works when you're away from them though. The minute you see that person again, or they call you, or text you, or someone brings their name up in a conversation, it jumps right back up and hits you in the chest like a baseball bat (even when you've hardly talked to them for 18 months). Blah. *bitter*. Stupid being in love with your friends syndrome.

Or people who are only kinda you're friend and don't speak to you that often and you only see every six weeks or alike, so then you are almost totally convinced before they get you again.
Reply 46
svidrigailov
Pedantic; misguided. One can suppress not only concrete nouns, persons, corporate bodies, and communities, but feelings, thoughts, desires, habits, notions, ideas, and states of mind (and, without doubt, countless other things as well). The Oxford English Dictionary says of "suppress":

3. a. To keep secret; to refrain from disclosing or divulging; to refrain from mentioning or stating (either something that ought to be revealed, or that was formerly stated or included, or that may be understood from the context).

--which definition corresponds precisely to the primary definition of "conceal" in the OED.

Truly? In that case, I readily retract my critique. I have the tendency to derive my definitions contextually; in this case, I presumed her particular usage to be consistent with that which I previously derived (being the only one erstwhile in my repertoire) not having taken into account the symmetry posited by yourself. Inasmuch as I may doubt the thread originator's own awareness as to this fact, my semantic extrapolation was nonetheless patently misguided; insofar as we are being pedantic, therefore, I cannot but concede to the fact.

Nevertheless, the suppression (q.v., in the spirit in which I had intended it) of thought/emotion is, to my mind, manifestly impossible; in the given context, it logically entails only the third definition - that which you specified - and no other. When one speaks of "suppressing" an emotion under the pretext of any definition other than that given by you, one means the reduction of any expression or overt manifestation typically comitant upon said emotion at its inception: one cannot harbour awareness of (or thereby, purport to suppress) a thought or emotion a priori (albeit conceptually), for to do so would entail pre-cognition; in which event, one could do naught but endeavour to effect "suppression" by proxy - that is to say, via a suppression of the circumstances which might otherwise instinctively give rise to the cerebral stigma in question.

However, I shall admit my fallacy, nevertheless. Kudos on catching me out: I am arguably more for the experience. :wink:
i know of this girl who's quite unattractive, and probably very low on self confidence, and she denies any sexual feelings at all! some of my friends think it's because she doesn't think they'll be returned :eek:
Reply 48
lessthanthree
you know, I think you can. You can pretty much supress anything. And if you do it well enough, it won't come back and bite you in the ass.

By distancing himself, he's making it impossible to see you on a daily basis, thus allowing him time to get over stuff and maybe even look for a "more suitable" person to be attracted to.

so that was a longwinded way of saying yes.

Oh good.
Reply 49
gossip_girl

Awwww GG! :eek: Bless.
of course it's possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending