The Student Room Group

Oxford gap year

hey there. ive applied to St Andrews UCL, Loughborough Warwick, and birmingham to do economics related courses. Ive already got offers from loughborough and birmingham for ABB. the thing is ive asked for a deffered start as i am going to spend a year in a folkhigh school in norway which is like a structured gap year where i will learn the language and do various other physical activites. I have been wondering if during this year i could apply to oxford or cambridge even though i will have accepted an offer from which ever uni i choose and have got accepted to this year. is this possible?? i really wana see if i can get in to oxford/cambridge
Reply 1
No you cant if you have deferred your entry.
Reply 2
what if i didnt accept any of the offers can i apply in my gap year?
Reply 3
You would have to cancel your UCAS for that year not defer it. Then re-apply to Oxford and the other uni's. But the uni you want may not accept you twice
Reply 4
KJ21
the uni you want they wont accept you twice

well that's just plain wrong

i reapplied this year. last year i got an offer from york that i turned down, but they've given me the same offer this year.
Reply 5
willenium
well that's just plain wrong

i reapplied this year. last year i got an offer from york that i turned down, but they've given me the same offer this year.

Seriously, my uni wouldnt accept me twice
Reply 6
KJ21
Seriously, my uni wouldnt accept me twice

that is obviously not a concrete rule though, is it?
Reply 7
willenium
that is obviously not a concrete rule though, is it?

Edited my post, is that better
Reply 8
is it i gt predicted AAA at A2 and gt AAAAB at AS. i got 3A* 4A 2B 2C GCSE, however in alevel i did not take maths which i think is a downfall as oxford see it as strongly recomended. do u tihnk i have a chance of the economics and management course? by the time i come back from my gap year i will also have gained complete fluency in scandinavian languages
Reply 9
bump
Reply 10
if maths is "strongly recommended" by oxford then you should do the Maths a level in your gap year to even stand a chance.

there'll be too many other applicants with your grades or better who have Maths. They'll get preference.
Reply 11
how would i do a maths a level during my gap year??
Reply 12
...get the text books, teach yourself and enter yourself for the exams. tis not hard.
Reply 13
maybe i will consider but it seems a lot of work when im supposed to be enjoying myself
Austen9
maybe i will consider but it seems a lot of work when im supposed to be enjoying myself

A gap year isn't just for enjoying yourself. If you want to go to Oxford that much, then you would use the year to take the required A-level.
Reply 15
Austen9

Tough. Don't go to Oxford then.
Dont bother, you (as do most other people) have a limited chance of getting into oxford anyway-it might even be boring (i hear they have 'drinks receptions' instead of parties and balls).
Reply 17
La Esmerelda
Dont bother, you (as do most other people) have a limited chance of getting into oxford anyway-it might even be boring (i hear they have 'drinks receptions' instead of parties and balls).

They have all three, actually.:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending