The Student Room Group
Reply 1
A hemisphere also has an area on the bottom, not just the sides.
Well a hemisphere has a flat side as well as its curved side. The flat side is just a circle, so pi r^2.

So total surface area of a hemisphere is 3πr2 3 \pi r^2
The OP said it was an open top hemisphere so it only has a curved surface area and her working is correct.

(Well I don't much like the use of the = sign as she is saying 452.39 = 226.2 but other than that it is OK)!
Reply 4
DeanK2
A hemisphere also has an area on the bottom, not just the sides.

I interpreted open-top as meaning it didn't have the base thing.

So you'd multiply 2pir^2 by 2 cause of the inside?
Reply 5
Rocious
I interpreted open-top as meaning it didn't have the base thing.

So you'd multiply 2pir^2 by 2 cause of the inside?

If you did that you would have A of a sphere of radius 6. However, in all questions I assume surface area to be the area of a closed surface - i.e. the top or bottom.
DeanK2
If you did that you would have A of a sphere of radius 6. However, in all questions I assume surface area to be the area of a closed surface - i.e. the top or bottom.

Not necessarily! Using Rocious' reasoning a hollow sphere would have an area of 8πr28\pi r^2! I think we have to stick to the exterior surface area. Could the OP tell us why she thinks her answer is incorrect?
Mr M
Not necessarily! Using Rocious' reasoning a hollow sphere would have an area of 8πr28\pi r^2!

I think this is the right answer. (4πr24 \pi r^2) But, again, it really does depend on what one means by "open top".

The thing is, when we ask for the surface area of a shape, we are really talking about the external surface area. But once you take a hemisphere (and don't add a base to it), the area on the inside becomes part of the external surface area.
The Bachelor
I think this is the right answer. (4πr24 \pi r^2) But, again, it really does depend on what one means by "open top".

The thing is, when we ask for the surface area of a shape, we are really talking about the external surface area. But once you take a hemisphere (and don't add a base to it), the area on the inside becomes part of the external surface area.

I have heard this argument before and I find it unconvincing. If the question had referred to the surface area of a hemispherical shell lamina, I might have agreed. How are you accounting for the ring around the top?
Mr M
I have heard this argument before and I find it unconvincing. If the question had referred to the surface area of a hemispherical shell lamina, I might have agreed. How are you accounting for the ring around the top?

If you're talking about the ring "at the bottom of the hemisphere" which is a complete circumference, then that should have 0 area.
The Bachelor
If you're talking about the ring "at the bottom of the hemisphere" which is a complete circumference, then that should have 0 area.

And would you double the curved surface area of a cone as well or is that an exception to the rule?
Mr M
And would you double the curved surface area of a cone as well or is that an exception to the rule?

If you're talking about a (closed) cone and the "spike" the place where the interior and exterior might intersect, I don't know. Is there a way to differentiate the interior and exterior, or not?
As a cone can be produced from a sector of a circle, it might make sense to consider just one surface. After all, you wouldn't propose that the sector is a lamina and then sum the areas of both sides. (Yes, I am aware of the 2D/3D distinction but I am playing Devil's Advocate).

The OP is a Year 11 GCSE student. I can confirm that if a GCSE student assumes a cone is infinitely thin and goes on to calculate the sum of the interior and exterior surface areas, he or she does not receive full marks.
Mr M
As a cone can be produced from a sector of a circle, it might make sense to consider just one surface. After all, you wouldn't propose that the sector is a lamina and then sum the areas of both sides. (Yes, I am aware of the 2D/3D distinction but I am playing Devil's Advocate).

By similar argument, you can produce a torus by pasting a plane (of finite length and width) together; why do you not count the interior surface area, then?
Reply 14
The Bachelor
By similar argument, you can produce a torus by pasting a plane (of finite length and width) together; why do you not count the interior surface area, then?

your questions does not follow. Mr M wasn't saying you did. nobody ever said you counted the interior surface area of anything. because it's an utterly stupid and superfluous thing to do.
Chewwy
your questions does not follow. Mr M wasn't saying you did. nobody ever said you counted the interior surface area of anything. because it's an utterly stupid and superfluous thing to do.

I was saying that Mr M's argument that the cone should be counted as one surface implies (through similar argument) that the torus should too.
Reply 16
The Bachelor
I was saying that Mr M's argument that the cone should be counted as one surface implies (through similar argument) that the torus should too.

errr... and we do.

Latest