The Student Room Group

washing hair ruins texture.

Anyone else get this problem that when they shampoo their hair it just looks crap no matter what you do with it afterwards? (male)

Its like the natural oils in my hair which the shampoo gets rid of are waht makes my hair texture any good.
Its now getting to the point where I only wash my hair with shampoo at the weekend cos it looks crap for about 2-3 days.
How can I stop this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try washing & drying your hair just before you go to bed. Your hair will have lost most of the fluffiness by the morning and will be easier to style.
That's what conditioner is for?
Reply 3
My hair goes all rubbery and course after washing, no matter what shampoo/conditioner is used. And then the compulsary "poofing" out like a birds nest when it dries.
Reply 4
RJ555
My hair goes all rubbery and course after washing, no matter what shampoo/conditioner is used. And then the compulsary "poofing" out like a birds nest when it dries.

Yeah thats about right. Washing it with water is ok, but any kind of shampoo completely ruins it.
Get a better shampoo.
Reply 6
Use conditioner! it brings back your texture and oils:smile:

EDIT:use wax after to style and stop the poofy-ness
Reply 7
Any particular brands?
If youalready use a conditioner, maybe try a leave in conditioner.
Dr Fanculo
Any particular brands?

dont go for the uber cheap, look at the description on the bottle
eg. 'for dry, damaged hair'
and see if one matches yours.
:smile:
Reply 10
Why do you not use conditioner anyway?
Reply 11
Do boys normally use conditioner?
I only just found out what its actually for from this thread..
Dr Fanculo
Do boys normally use conditioner?
I only just found out what its actually for from this thread..

hehe. use conditioner! :yep:
I so wish my problems were solved that easily!! hehe :p:

EDIT: and ofcourse boys use conditioner. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't.
Reply 13
My boyfriend uses tresemme, when it is dry he has hair any girl would be proud of! I'm well jealous. Expensive but personally I would say worth it.
I had this problem until i stopped using shampoo. Now I just use conditioner when I wash my hair.
try blow drying it - worked like a dream for me
ClaireHogben
try blow drying it - worked like a dream for me

The worst thing you can do if you have curly hair though
Reply 17
When you shampoo it you remove oils from the hair, thats what it does. You're meant to use conditioner to replace those oils. Buy a conditioner for damaged hair.
Reply 18
I also just discovered what conditioners are for. Boys aren't taught these things :/
Reply 19
sunyellowshine
hehe. use conditioner! :yep:
I so wish my problems were solved that easily!! hehe :p:

EDIT: and ofcourse boys use conditioner. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't.

Ruthie!
My boyfriend uses tresemme, when it is dry he has hair any girl would be proud of! I'm well jealous. Expensive but personally I would say worth it.

To both: I use carbolic soap to wash my hair (not shampoo, and no conditioner), and my hair comes out better than it has with any fancy shampoo I've used.

And people have commented on my hair :biggrin:.

Latest