The Student Room Group

Is dentistry at Glasgow pbl?

Pretty much as it says in the title.
Well, not really.

I mean they basically lecture on the topics you but they will assume/expect that you will go away, add to your own knowledge through study and try to connect the dots between all the topics.

It's not bad really - mainly lecture based rather than wee groups.
Nope. Lectures, seminars, clinics. Definitely not PBL. Are you thinking of coming to Glasgow?
junglemonkey
Nope. Lectures, seminars, clinics. Definitely not PBL. Are you thinking of coming to Glasgow?

Yeah i have applied and had to do the portfolio thing! I have an interview in early February. Its just my friend does med at Glasgow and i thought it was pbl but maybe i was mistaken Does anyone here do dentistry at glasgow and if so what do they think of it Was just worried cos i thought it was pbl and i would hate pbl! well glad thats cleared up.
whats pbl?
Whats the city like, is the accom good and is the dental school modern?
Biggillystyle
Whats the city like, is the accom good and is the dental school modern?

I'm a bit biased cause I've lived here all my life and I haven't experienced the accommodation. But the city's great, can't imagine it not having anything you want, really!

The dental school is fine. Everything has been recently updated so the lecture theatres are fantastic, kitted out with bose speakers and everything! :biggrin: The clinics are all being updated as well, the conservation dept must have about 30-40 chairs in it, it's absolutely huge.

The orthodontics/paediatrics has literally just reopened and looks amazing. Everything is brand new, there's even wee screens on the chairs LOL.

They've also spent millions on the sterilisation dept.

It really tends to be the corridors and some labs that look old fashioned and that's not the important bit really.
Whats the interview like I have one in Feb I was at Bristol there a couple of days ago and it was pretty relaxed just personal qs really
Biggillystyle
Yeah i have applied and had to do the portfolio thing! I have an interview in early February. Its just my friend does med at Glasgow and i thought it was pbl but maybe i was mistaken Does anyone here do dentistry at glasgow and if so what do they think of it Was just worried cos i thought it was pbl and i would hate pbl! well glad thats cleared up.

Yeah, I'm in first year.
It's a laugh really - nothing too worrying or crazy so long as you do the work.

Though this might change depending how my exams go. :p:

Basically what jungle monkey said. Clinics look really good - they having us do loads of clinical observing. I think we're the first year that they have decided that they want us to start chair side assisting which is quality. Though, I'm not sure the 5thyr I was with was too thrilled he had this big dopey 1st year getting in the way and basically wrestling the patients tongue with the aspirator (I'm getting better honest :biggrin: )

To be honest I have no complaints really - the dental school staff, especially the secs, are always trying to sort you out and make sure you know what your doing and were to go.

I think our year is the biggest they have ever had so we're quite crammed into the smaller labs.

We're technically off main campus. We're in the top end of the city centre.
Though its about a mile walk to the main part of university avenue in the west end of glasgow.
Easily busable/subway-able/walkable. We have loads of lectures up there too so its not as though we're missing out with the goings on of being a first year ie hitting the pub after a lab. :smile:
Biggillystyle
Whats the interview like I have one in Feb I was at Bristol there a couple of days ago and it was pretty relaxed just personal qs really

The interviews are not bad really - I've had two so I should know lol

2/3 people - they basically ask you about your portfolio, want you to talk about your self, general why dentistry questions and a few general q's to break the ice. Both times I had a questions about current affairs - i think they ask these type because they want to see a genuine response ie something that can't be prepared.

I think the second time I was asked something about a story on the news that morning about a child/social services. I can't quite remember. I didn't see the news report so I ask them to fill me in then I gave my views on it. Easy peasy.
junglemonkey
Wait till you meet the receptionists and records staff... They're the one major bug I would say but they're a lot better than they used to be.

Are they just unhelpful?

If/when I pass my exams for second year I'll charm them with my wit and bride them with sweets/chocs. :yep: Palm of my hand.
Reply 11
I've sent away my portfolio and I've got an interview on March 11. I'm really really nervous!
What is the 1st year timetable like? Do you have a lot of time for personal study or are you always in lectures or labs? And what type of things do you get to do in the labs?
100 questions lol sorry! Hope you can help! :biggrin:
Reply 12
junglemonkey, do you really find dentistry boring?
I have an interview at glasgow soon and im really nervous. do they ask about the ethical things ?tnx
Reply 14
Hey guys,
I don't know if any of you will reply, but anyways, the portfolio?
I've had a look at their entry requirements and one of them is to have had a portfolio, what does a portfolio entail? What would I need to put in it? What did you put in yours(if you don't mind me asking)? I've just finished my AS exams and am waiting for the results in August ...
Original post by KNaseem
Hey guys,
I don't know if any of you will reply, but anyways, the portfolio?
I've had a look at their entry requirements and one of them is to have had a portfolio, what does a portfolio entail? What would I need to put in it? What did you put in yours(if you don't mind me asking)? I've just finished my AS exams and am waiting for the results in August ...

I don't think they need a portfolio anymore as it says so on the website. :O but I'm not 100% sure :P
They have switched their interview format to MMI (panel interview back then, where they will ask abt the portfolio)
Reply 16
Ahh, okay XD I'm looking at the entry requirement table on tsr site: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
Its probably just outdated then? I'm fine with interview type either way :P
Thank you! c:
Original post by KNaseem
Ahh, okay XD I'm looking at the entry requirement table on tsr site: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
Its probably just outdated then? I'm fine with interview type either way :P
Thank you! c:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/dental/undergraduate/newapplicant/

The uni website shud have the most updated info :P
Gd luck with the application processs :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest