The Student Room Group

what are the differences between welsh and english nhs?

in preparation for an interview
Reply 1
that you wait forever in Wales!

i think the main difference is the way they obtain their legislation. Welsh NHS has to abide to laws set by the Welsh Assembly and the Health Minister Edwina Hart AM, while in England its the Parliament and Alan Johnson MP. use google, welsh assembly website, NHS website, etc to find out more. what im telling you is general info that i know because im Welsh so its probably not as detailed as you want.

EDIT: is this for Cardiff? i didnt get asked questions about the NHS at all, just from PS. but it varies.
Reply 2
malaz_197
that you wait forever in Wales!

i think the main difference is the way they obtain their legislation. Welsh NHS has to abide to laws set by the Welsh Assembly and the Health Minister Edwina Hart AM, while in England its the Parliament and Alan Johnson MP. use google, welsh assembly website, NHS website, etc to find out more. what im telling you is general info that i know because im Welsh so its probably not as detailed as you want.

EDIT: is this for Cardiff? i didnt get asked questions about the NHS at all, just from PS. but it varies.

Yay a response!
yep is for cardiff but I think I know enough about the differences now. Didn't know what you just said though. Thanks
Reply 3
You get free prescriptions and stuff in Wales. And maybe no hospital car parking charges?
Reply 4
dino1
Yay a response!
yep is for cardiff but I think I know enough about the differences now. Didn't know what you just said though. Thanks

wow, an early bird interview. Well done. hope it goes well. Cardiff interview was by far the most laid back and chilled (in a weird way!)
I know its been long since this thread was in use....but can anyone shed some light on the differences between the english and the welsh NHS except the differences that have been mentioned already? I have an interview with cardiff in a few days and really would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 6
One massive difference is that Wales has Health Boards (like a PCT used to be in England) to commission services whilst in England you have CCGs.

As has already been mentioned, you wait a lot longer for services in Wales than you do in England.

I work in a cross border town and a referral to ENT in England takes approx 2 months, in Wales it can be 9 - 12 months.

I believe in England you have choose and book which means patients can choose which hospital to be referred to. In Wales you do not have this choice, you can only refer to specified hospitals within your health board unless you apply for exceptional funding.
Original post by Egypt
One massive difference is that Wales has Health Boards (like a PCT used to be in England) to commission services whilst in England you have CCGs.

As has already been mentioned, you wait a lot longer for services in Wales than you do in England.

I work in a cross border town and a referral to ENT in England takes approx 2 months, in Wales it can be 9 - 12 months.

I believe in England you have choose and book which means patients can choose which hospital to be referred to. In Wales you do not have this choice, you can only refer to specified hospitals within your health board unless you apply for exceptional funding.

okk thanks, since this is for an interview for cardif med school, i think ill stick to the positive differences as longer waiting times can be seen as criticism! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending