The Student Room Group

colorado river question for all you geographers

i need to find out the max average discharge of the river. from what i've seen its about 500 meters cubed per second. i know it varied along the river and it is a big river but im interested in the point where the hoover dam was build- the dischare of the river there before it was built. I've been looking for ages for a resonable estimate and got about 500 meters cubed per second. Is that a realistic figure?? i really need to know as soon a possible thanks:biggrin:
Reply 1
pudlump
i need to find out the max average discharge of the river. from what i've seen its about 500 meters cubed per second. i know it varied along the river and it is a big river but im interested in the point where the hoover dam was build- the dischare of the river there before it was built. I've been looking for ages for a resonable estimate and got about 500 meters cubed per second. Is that a realistic figure?? i really need to know as soon a possible thanks:biggrin:

so the 500 metres cubed per second is the discharge at the mouth currently, and was the discharge further up the river before the dam was built?

if so then it makes sense - water flow is higher downstream than it is up, so if it is reduced by a dam etc. then it will be the same as it is upstream.
Reply 2
why don't try colour the discharge in red. and then the hoover dam in grey and then colour in the border in green. lol.

I'm only joking. couldn't resist.
Reply 3
You can use http://climexp.knmi.nl to get monthly discharge data from the Hydro-Climatic Data Network of the US Geological Society. Choose monthly station data and then US river discharge and define your search.

Its an incredible tool that also allows you to correlate it with loads of other climatic variables and events like ENSO

Latest

Trending

Trending