The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
When i did my MSc i did'nt like the way it was taught (in 3 week blocks) with 1 week only of lectures.
For that 1 week it was obvious the lecturer was trying to cram everything in, some even admitted 1 week was'nt enough.
I quit after 4 months and got a PG Cert as i was'nt prepared to pay another 2 grand.
apotoftea
My point is for a taught course, the majority of my readings have come from central London. None of the 3 libraries have the books we all need week on week & there are people on my course who cannot get into London for whatever reason. There are no reference copies either. It's not the cost, it's the principle and why people constantly rave about Senate House is beyond me :s:

*faints*

Senate House is awesome! Not only due to the sheer size of the collection, but also by the fact that there are less students and more researchers who use it - a much more pleasant setting. Then there is the IHR. Then there are the seminars, and with it the human knowledge on offer. For me at least, they also have a killer paleography collection which is less terrifying to use at this point than going to the BL and calling something up. And then having those BLigots sneer at you. I forgot to mention the British Museum before, which I haven't used yet but will.

In case you don't have it: http://www.inform25.ac.uk/
Caspar David Friedrich
*faints*

Senate House is awesome! Not only due to the sheer size of the collection, but also by the fact that there are less students and more researchers who use it - a much more pleasant setting. Then there is the IHR. Then there are the seminars, and with it the human knowledge on offer. For me at least, they also have a killer paleography collection which is less terrifying to use at this point than going to the BL and calling something up. And then having those BLigots sneer at you. I forgot to mention the British Museum before, which I haven't used yet but will.

In case you don't have it: http://www.inform25.ac.uk/

It's good in the sense of the amount it holds & does offer a massive variety of subjects BUT I had better access to books on my research area at my UG uni; far more titles and more copies of each. Maybe I was just lucky with library budgets, who knows? I go to the BL if needs be now because I prefer the atmosphere and space.

The IHR is fab though :biggrin: Cheers for the link too.
Reply 23
Johnni
When i did my MSc i did'nt like the way it was taught (in 3 week blocks) with 1 week only of lectures.
For that 1 week it was obvious the lecturer was trying to cram everything in, some even admitted 1 week was'nt enough.
I quit after 4 months and got a PG Cert as i was'nt prepared to pay another 2 grand.

Is the PG Cert worth getting if you cant finish your masters or is the diploma seen as much better???

Do you know how much value these qualifications have???
the_alba
I have to pay £50+ any time I want to get books that aren't at York's ****** library (i.e. I have to go to Oxford or London and stay over). Count yourself lucky!

Just don't use them. Cover yourself with some Neo-Oulipo 'restricted writing' logic, such as "I wrote this thesis only using books in libraries five miles to the left of my bed."
Da Bachtopus
Just don't use them. Cover yourself with some Neo-Oulipo 'restricted writing' logic, such as "I wrote this thesis only using books in libraries five miles to the left of my bed."

:rofl: hahaha. Oh, you left off a genius from your music quiz DB - Danny Elfman. :biggrin:
Reply 26
Da Bachtopus
Just don't use them. Cover yourself with some Neo-Oulipo 'restricted writing' logic :wink:

That's what I usually do - most critical books are a sack of ***** - but this is for the books that I'm specifically requested by people to get (as with the JSA article revisions), or those that I simply can't ignore.
the_alba
That's what I usually do - most critical books are a sack of ***** - but this is for the books that I'm specifically requested by people to get (as with the JSA article revisions), or those that I simply can't ignore.

Amazon 2nd Hand is your friend... :smile:
Reply 28
oriel historian
Amazon 2nd Hand is your friend... :smile:

Not when the only things available are £30-60 and in America... Which is often the case with books I need, weirdly.
the_alba
Not when the only things available are £30-60 and in America... Which is often the case with books I need, weirdly.

:s-smilie: eek. Mine have all been about £3 or £5. Ah well. Shame.
the_alba

Yea, I hate going out of my way to find a book only to discover it's useless. Spent 7hrs on Sun in the BNF, and th two things I went there to read wree pointless.

They even have cameras in the reading rooms. Have attached a picture, plus of a funfilled chowdown in the tearoom.
Reply 31
As kaa197 says, obviously if you have the mettle to grind through an MSc thats better, but is the PG Cert or Diploma worth anything?
Reply 32
kaa197
Is the PG Cert worth getting if you cant finish your masters or is the diploma seen as much better???

Do you know how much value these qualifications have???

I decided to quit my masters early but as i did 5 out of the 10 modules already i qualified for it. From what i gather you get a PG Dip if you do all the course apart from the dissertation so it is better than a PG Cert.
I don't know the value of these tbh, i'm trying to find out as i might apply for another course and hoping a PG Cert will have some wort of weight if any.

Latest

Trending

Trending