The Student Room Group
Pharmacy is vocational and lasts for 4 years, after which you get an MPharm degree, and upon successful completion of a pre-registration year, you are allowed to practice pharmacy in the UK. Pharmacy does contain some chemistry, but is more biological and also contains things like pharmacology (note that there is also a difference between pharmacy and pharmacology as degrees too), physiology, biochemistry, professional development.
Pharmacy pretty much guaratees you a job (in community pharmacy anyway).

Chemistry is broad and can be 3 year BSc or a 4 year MChem, and involves a lot of other more physical science not encountered in pharmacy.
Reply 2
Cheers endevour, but any more information from anyone would be great.
Reply 3
endeavour
Pharmacy is vocational and lasts for 4 years, after which you get an MPharm degree, and upon successful completion of a pre-registration year, you are allowed to practice pharmacy in the UK. Pharmacy does contain some chemistry, but is more biological and also contains things like pharmacology (note that there is also a difference between pharmacy and pharmacology as degrees too), physiology, biochemistry, professional development.
Pharmacy pretty much guaratees you a job (in community pharmacy anyway).

Chemistry is broad and can be 3 year BSc or a 4 year MChem, and involves a lot of other more physical science not encountered in pharmacy.

You can also do Pharmaceutical Chemistry, like me, which focuses on drug design and synthesis through studying the effects of drugs.
Chemistry is a natural science, you are taught about the physical principles behind why and how reactions occur (amongst other things). Pharmacy has much scientific content (a lot biochemical), but it is vocational, so you will also be taught how to deal with 'patients' (is that the right word?) and how to develop a business ecetera.

Chemistry and pharmacy are certainly not the same. Pharmacy leads towards a professional healthcare job (in the same way as medicine) where as Chemistry doesn't have any such natural pathway.
Reply 5
Cheers Chemist Boy, great info there.

Can anyone else add to it. I'm sorta wondering how the course is structured but also what are pay and job prospects like at the end of the degree?

Thanks
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/careers/scientists/careers.html

As for course structure, each School of Pharmacy will be different in some way, so you should go through the prospectuses of ones you are considering applying to.

www.ucas.com to find the universities which offer MPharm, and either browse through the universities' online prospectus or order the hard copies from here http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/courses/order_prospectus.cfm

And try this http://education.independent.co.uk/higher/az_degrees/
I think the question you need to ask yourself is 'Do I want to be a pharmacist?'
Reply 8
Well how do I know unless I find out what it's like?
Alcohol5%
Well how do I know unless I find out what it's like?

Then consider getting a part time job or work experience placement in a pharmacy.
Yeah, try and get some work experience or just even talk to a pharmacist. Research all the possible job outcomes with a pharmacy degree, think about if you'd like to do that.
Reply 11
-Emmz-
Yeah, try and get some work experience or just even talk to a pharmacist. Research all the possible job outcomes with a pharmacy degree, think about if you'd like to do that.

Come to think of it I may no someone hu is a pharmacist or at the very least works in a pharmacy with a pharmacist, and I do know someone hu's applied to do Pharmacy at nottingham.

Latest

Trending

Trending