The Student Room Group

Applied to oxford or cam? if so what made you choose the one you did?

LOL! im just curious!

I chose Oxford and i have one reason LOL!
tbh they both seemed exactly the same to me, places both very intellectually stimulating! :smile:
I believe in good first impressions and the factor which made me choose on the open days,

In oxford, i visited balliol, apparently the elite oxford college, and students were listening to ipods, wearing hoodies and shorts, drinking cans of coke and chilling the lawns and they were very chatty. The lecturer was a genius during the talk! i spoke with him after for a good half hour about off related topics!

Then i went to cambridge, i thought the colleges were equally beautiful! but the students, they were drinking tea and eating biscuits and gave me some real dirty looks, wearing clothes like they were going to play golf and the lecturer was sooooo old fashioned.

although some may say i shud have chosen the uni based on the course taught i did! but the courses were taught with ever such a slight difference (trust me, i did sooo much research!). So i boiled it down to which one i liked more. . . .so then excluding the course you chose what made you choose the uni out the two you did socially???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
plus oxford city is much better!
Reply 2
vahluwalia1
plus oxford city is much better!

Pretty much sums it up.
Reply 3
hmm it would have to be that its easier to get into cambridge for medicine than oxford...purely that.
Reply 4
Vazzyb
hmm it would have to be that its easier to get into cambridge for medicine than oxford...purely that.

Are you asian?
Reply 5
vahluwalia1
Are you asian?

surely
Reply 6
vahluwalia1
Are you asian?

lol i am! just sounds like an idian thing to say. Taking the easy path :P
Reply 7
vahluwalia1
Are you asian?

Ahh yes, the first question at the oxford interview.

WTF?
Reply 8
vahluwalia1
lol i am! just sounds like an idian thing to say. Taking the easy path :P

lol not really...

if someone has any sense, theyd see that its very very hard to get into Oxford for Medicine with 7A*s.

Actually, I thought the whole thing through, taking into account BMAT importance, AS level module importance, which colleges have higher chances, which ones like people with straight sciences, how much GCSE A*s count etc etc.

It wasn't a simple decision, took me a while! The conclusion was 'it is more likely' that ill get in Cambridge than Oxford rather than 'easier'.
Reply 9
I love the reasons behind the choice. Probably biased though and unrepresentative of all Students in Oxbridge ..or maybe I'm wrong..:p:
Reply 10
I suppose it will boil down to first impressions.

I mean, both universities are in a league of their own - Oxbridge is the ultimate place of study, in terms of prospects after graduating, both are seen equally with awe and wonder, so there is little academic reason to choose one over the other, except for maybe the way the course is structured and which you prefer more.
vahluwalia1
LOL! im just curious!

I chose Oxford and i have one reason LOL!
tbh they both seemed exactly the same to me, places both very intellectually stimulating! :smile:
I believe in good first impressions and the factor which made me choose on the open days,

In oxford, i visited balliol, apparently the elite oxford college, and students were listening to ipods, wearing hoodies and shorts, drinking cans of coke and chilling the lawns and they were very chatty. The lecturer was a genius during the talk! i spoke with him after for a good half hour about off related topics!

Then i went to cambridge, i thought the colleges were equally beautiful! but the students, they were drinking tea and eating biscuits and gave me some real dirty looks, wearing clothes like they were going to play golf and the lecturer was sooooo old fashioned.

although some may say i shud have chosen the uni based on the course taught i did! but the courses were taught with ever such a slight difference (trust me, i did sooo much research!). So i boiled it down to which one i liked more. . . .so then excluding the course you chose what made you choose the uni out the two you did socially???

From that, I'm so falling in love with Cambridge; I'm not so fond of this supposed ''coolness'' exhibited through the hates and stuff.
Reply 12
i didn't want to do french with my hebrew so i chose oxford.
also i liked oxford better anyway and didn't like the colleges at cambridge apart from downing.
Reply 13
I didn't really like any of the colleges I saw at Cambridge apart from Sidney Sussex. Maybe it was because I didn't go on an open day, and I went to Oxford on one. Cambridge was also a bit funny, in terms of location. Dunno. Pretty sure I marginally liked Oxford's course more. Plus, I loved Wadham.
Oxford only does straight Theology...I wanted to learn about other religions than Christianity. So, I never had to even consider choosing one over the other :smile:
I chose Oxford over Cambridge because:

1) The Cambridge course didn't suit me
2) Cambridge ask about retakes and UMS marks and I thought it best to hide my Physics AS ones :biggrin:
3) My sister did her undergrad at Oxford and is still there doing her DPhil (PhD), so I was already familiar with the place and knew I'd have someone there if I got in
4) I went to the open day at my college and the tutor was so amazing that I didn't look at any other colleges at either Oxford or Cambridge
5) I did the Sutton Trust course at Oxford and loved the Faculty

:smile:
TheOtherZoe
Oxford only does straight Theology...I wanted to learn about other religions than Christianity. So, I never had to even consider choosing one over the other :smile:

Very judicious reason, that is. If one is hoping to do subjects like Theology, as in your case, or single science subjects like Physics, one is obliged to choose Oxford; in Cambridge, the subjects are somehow askewed with one another.
Reply 17
I think a lot of people have one they intuitively prefer for whatever reason; for me, I looked over the course and the prospectus etc, but I never really seriously considered applying for Oxford, and know a lot of people at Cambridge who were the same; they just always knew they were applying to Cambridge.
Reply 18
The choice was very easy for me - Cambridge doesn't teach my course!
Reply 19
Classics at Oxford >Classics at Cambridge for my interests- the course at Cambridge didn't suit me at all... Easy call there :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending