The Student Room Group

Using past papers for mocks

Do you think it's fine to look at past papers and marking schemes for them for mocks as revision? I think I will be using them but my only problem is that I don't want to know the answers and stuff and then when I get to my mocks it's a past paper I revised and so I do well although it might not actually reflect what I would have got if I hadn't looked at that certain past paper.
Reply 1
Yes its ok to use them, its not necessarily knowing the answers its learning how to do whatever your revising. Ask your teachers what they think. Go onto revision sites aswell such as s-cool.co.uk
Reply 2
Yes. Our teacher actually suggests using them, as lots of questions are rephrased but have the same answers. It is therefore a benefit to know what they are asking and any questions you don't understand can be sorted out before any real exams
yeah do use them

when you're given your mocks, most of the time, they will take sections from lots of different past papers, and put them together. or they'll use the most recent past paper, which won't have a markscheme released for it yet, so you won't be able to know the answers in advance
Reply 4
kai4321
Do you think it's fine to look at past papers and marking schemes for them for mocks as revision? I think I will be using them but my only problem is that I don't want to know the answers and stuff and then when I get to my mocks it's a past paper I revised and so I do well although it might not actually reflect what I would have got if I hadn't looked at that certain past paper.

Do you mean you're worried you'll practice a paper that your school is using for your mock?

Schools tend to use ones not yet on the internet, so you should be OK.
Reply 5
My RS teacher uses past papers of the ocr website for all of our exams. :smile:
Past papers are the best revision you can get. Learn the style of questions, it's most likely to be 2008 papers which are not put on websites for a specific reason - the mocks. My advice, is do as many past papers as you can as it'll only help you. Good luck.
Revise from past-papers from whatever year your spec. has began, excluding the latest paper (June 2008).
Otherwise, that's cheating.
Reply 8
Our school uses the one from the previous year, so maybe if you just used ones from before that then you wouldn't run the risk of using the same one as you're given.
But then, I don't know how your school does things, why don't you ask around (maybe the year above) to see if that's what happens?
Reply 9
yeah and sometimes they make you do the re-take papers as your mocks =S
The mocks will be the 2008 papers - these papers are extremely difficult to find.
so it's important to use past papers for revision.
if you can help it, avoid looking at hte mark scheme and instead get your teacher to mark it for you
Reply 11
Coke Or Pepsi
The mocks will be the 2008 papers - these papers are extremely difficult to find.so it's important to use past papers for revision.
if you can help it, avoid looking at hte mark scheme and instead get your teacher to mark it for you

Depends on the school. They may be or may not be. But yes, they are difficult to find. I do have a stash of them in my cupboard, however. :p:

Latest