The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Internet help

I took my laptop home this weekend to use the internet, and found it to be sooo slow!
Like, when I opened internet explorer, in the bottom left hand corner, it said 'detecting proxy settings...' for about 2 mins, then it took a while to load other pages.
Now, I figured this was down to how we had to alter settings in order to use Resnet on campus... So is there anyway to fix this when I go home for Christmas? It would be sooo much help!
Reply 1
do you use internet explorer or firefox?

Can you remember setting up your proxy settings?

Just do the same as you did to set up your browser to use on campus but set it NOT to use a proxy. (Undo what you did when you first came). You'll have to change it back once you are back on campus.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
HocusPocus
do you use internet explorer or firefox?

Can you remember setting up your proxy settings?

Just do the same as you did to set up your browser to use on campus but set it NOT to use a proxy. (Undo what you did when you first came). You'll have to change it back once you are back on campus.

I have internet explorer...

... And I can't for the life of me remember what we had to do when we set this thing up. Knew I should have written it down...
Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > Click settings (fifth button down on the right). Uncheck the "Use automatic configuration script" box. It should say "http://wwwcache.lancs.ac.uk/" in the box underneath. You can leave that there so you don't have to type it again when you change it back. Click OK and then you're done :p:

To change it back just check the box again.
Reply 4
do you know if you are using static IP?

if you can't get the setup page you need to set it to 'obtain IP address' automatically by going to (XP) Start --> Connect To --> Show All connections --> right click on Local Area Connection --> click properties from drop down --> select Internet Protocol TCP / IP and click properties --> obtain everything automatically.

You've probabley fixed it by now but hope this helps somebody sometime.

Latest

Trending

Trending