The Student Room Group

which drugs were on prescriptions before and are now available on the counter

Hey guys
well this is one of the most questions that seem to come up on interview espically for manchester so basically whats the answer??

i tried looking through several pharmaceutical journals and websites but couldnt get any answers. could students currently doing pharmacy or even people who know the answer please let me know

Reply 1
Reclassified POM (prescription-only medicine) to P (pharmacy medicine) only since April 2002:

Adenosine
Azelastine Hydrochloride
Azithromycin
Budesonide
Chloramphenicol
Cimetidine
Clobetasone Butyrate
Diclofenac Potassium
Diclofenac Sodium
Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride
Domperidone
Domperidone Maleate
Econazole
Econazole Nitrate
Felbinac
Fenticonazole Nitrate
Fluconazole
Flunisolide
Flurbiprofen
Fluticasone Propionate
Griseofulvin
Hydrocortisone Acetate
Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride
Hyoscine
Isoconazole Nitrate
Levocabastine Hydrochloride
Levonorgestrel
Lodoxamide Trometamol
Mebendazole
Mebeverine Hydrochloride
Miconazole
Naproxen
Nedocromil Sodium
Nizatidine
Omeprazole
Oxetacaine
Prochlorperazine Maleate
Simvastatin
Sodium Cromoglicate
Sumatriptan Succinate
Terbinafine
Tioconazole
Triamcinolone Acetonide

You must note most of these medicines can only be supplied under certain conditions.

If you want recent classifications, theres a list below:

Recent reclassifications
Updated 21 August 2008

POM to P (Prescription only medicine to pharmacy)

Azithromycin: azithromycin 500mg tablets may now be supplied for the treatment of confirmed asymptomatic Chlamydia trachomatis genital infection in individuals aged 16 years and over, and for the epidemiological treatment of their sexual partners
Diclofenac potassium: tablets containing 12.5mg diclofenac potassium may be supplied without a prescription for the short term relief of headache, dental pain, period pain, rheumatic and muscular pain, backache and the symptoms of colds and flu, including fever, in adults and children aged 14 years and over
Naproxen: naproxen 250mg tablets may now be supplied without a prescription for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhoea in women aged between 15 and 50 years
Chloramphenicol: the conditions for P supply of chloramphenicol now include 1% eye ointment (in addition to the 0.5% eye drops).

P to GSL (Pharmacy to general sale list)

Paracetamol: The maximum strength of GSL liquid paracetamol preparations for use by adults and children aged 12 years and over, has been increased from 2.5% to 5%
Loperamide hydrochloride: an additional indication for GSL medicines containing 2mg loperamide hydrochloride has been introduced. The products may now be supplied on general sale for the symptomatic treatment of acute episodes of diarrhoea associated with irritable bowel syndrome in adults aged 18 years and over following initial diagnosis by a doctor.
Diclofenac diethylammonium: The maximum pack size of diclofenac diethylammonium 1.16% gel that may be supplied on general sale has been increased from 30g to 50g.
Nicotine: nicotine inhalator may now be supplied on general sale as an aid to smoking cessation and also as an aid to smoking reduction prior to cessation.
Hydrocortisone: hydrocortisone 1% cream can now be supplied GSL for the treatment of insect bites and stings only, in adults and children aged 10 years and over.
Bifonazole: bifonazole 1% cream has been reclassified as a GSL medicine for the treatment of athlete’s foot.
Cetirizine: the maximum GSL pack size for cetirizine tablets has been increased from 7 to 14 tablets.
Benzocaine: benzocaine 10% mouth gel can be supplied GSL for the temporary relief from the pain and tenderness associated with mouth ulcers and from wearing dentures.
Minoxidil: the conditions for GSL supply of minoxidil 2% now include a gel presentation (in addition to the solution).
Paracetamol: the maximum pack size permitted for GSL supply of paracetamol 5% oral suspension in unit packaging, has been increased from 10 to 12 sachets.

Hope that helps :wink:
Can I just ask Method, where did you get that information from? It's gonna come in handy for my NVQ :biggrin:
Reply 3
hey method
thanks alot mann...i really needed this =D
Reply 4
i_want_a_penguin
Can I just ask Method, where did you get that information from? It's gonna come in handy for my NVQ :biggrin:

Sure, no problem :smile:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Licensingofmedicines/Legalstatusandreclassification/index.htm

Most of the stuff I listed before can be found in the two sub-sections. :wink:
Cheers. I had a look on there earlier coz I thought it was that site but couldn't be bothered to read through all the text lol! (Just had an unconditional offer for Pharmacy with foundation yr at Kingston so I'm bouncing off the walls :biggrin:)
Reply 6
Method
Reclassified POM (prescription-only medicine) to P (pharmacy medicine) only since April 2002:

Adenosine
Azelastine Hydrochloride
Azithromycin
Budesonide
Chloramphenicol
Cimetidine
Clobetasone Butyrate
Diclofenac Potassium
Diclofenac Sodium
Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride
Domperidone
Domperidone Maleate
Econazole
Econazole Nitrate
Felbinac
Fenticonazole Nitrate
Fluconazole
Flunisolide
Flurbiprofen
Fluticasone Propionate
Griseofulvin
Hydrocortisone Acetate
Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride
Hyoscine
Isoconazole Nitrate
Levocabastine Hydrochloride
Levonorgestrel
Lodoxamide Trometamol
Mebendazole
Mebeverine Hydrochloride
Miconazole
Naproxen
Nedocromil Sodium
Nizatidine
Omeprazole
Oxetacaine
Prochlorperazine Maleate
Simvastatin
Sodium Cromoglicate
Sumatriptan Succinate
Terbinafine
Tioconazole
Triamcinolone Acetonide

You must note most of these medicines can only be supplied under certain conditions.

If you want recent classifications, theres a list below:

Recent reclassifications
Updated 21 August 2008

POM to P (Prescription only medicine to pharmacy)

Azithromycin: azithromycin 500mg tablets may now be supplied for the treatment of confirmed asymptomatic Chlamydia trachomatis genital infection in individuals aged 16 years and over, and for the epidemiological treatment of their sexual partners
Diclofenac potassium: tablets containing 12.5mg diclofenac potassium may be supplied without a prescription for the short term relief of headache, dental pain, period pain, rheumatic and muscular pain, backache and the symptoms of colds and flu, including fever, in adults and children aged 14 years and over
Naproxen: naproxen 250mg tablets may now be supplied without a prescription for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhoea in women aged between 15 and 50 years
Chloramphenicol: the conditions for P supply of chloramphenicol now include 1% eye ointment (in addition to the 0.5% eye drops).

P to GSL (Pharmacy to general sale list)

Paracetamol: The maximum strength of GSL liquid paracetamol preparations for use by adults and children aged 12 years and over, has been increased from 2.5% to 5%
Loperamide hydrochloride: an additional indication for GSL medicines containing 2mg loperamide hydrochloride has been introduced. The products may now be supplied on general sale for the symptomatic treatment of acute episodes of diarrhoea associated with irritable bowel syndrome in adults aged 18 years and over following initial diagnosis by a doctor.
Diclofenac diethylammonium: The maximum pack size of diclofenac diethylammonium 1.16% gel that may be supplied on general sale has been increased from 30g to 50g.
Nicotine: nicotine inhalator may now be supplied on general sale as an aid to smoking cessation and also as an aid to smoking reduction prior to cessation.
Hydrocortisone: hydrocortisone 1% cream can now be supplied GSL for the treatment of insect bites and stings only, in adults and children aged 10 years and over.
Bifonazole: bifonazole 1% cream has been reclassified as a GSL medicine for the treatment of athlete’s foot.
Cetirizine: the maximum GSL pack size for cetirizine tablets has been increased from 7 to 14 tablets.
Benzocaine: benzocaine 10% mouth gel can be supplied GSL for the temporary relief from the pain and tenderness associated with mouth ulcers and from wearing dentures.
Minoxidil: the conditions for GSL supply of minoxidil 2% now include a gel presentation (in addition to the solution).
Paracetamol: the maximum pack size permitted for GSL supply of paracetamol 5% oral suspension in unit packaging, has been increased from 10 to 12 sachets.

Hope that helps :wink:

Thank you SO much for this post, been looking for it. I went to my local pharmacist and she gave me couple of names but here are loads given. You're a legend! :smile:

p.s. Rep added. I'm a fan of Hazrat Imam Gazali as well, nice sig.
Reply 7
Sumatripan is a key drug that has gone to OTC ( over the counter).

Its used for migraines.
Reply 8
petzneo
Sumatripan is a key drug that has gone to OTC ( over the counter).

Its used for migraines.

So after having told them, can the interviewer ask why you think that it could be??
Reply 9
possibly...for Sumatripan it was made into an OTC due to the fact that some patients could not control their symptoms through the use of OTC painkillers.

Latest

Trending

Trending