The Student Room Group
Why be so down on research? It's a very interesting and varied profession. However if you are worried about being a lab monkey for the rest of your life get your head down and do your work and you won't have to worry.
What kind of career were you looking for when you applied? I'm sure there are plenty of options with that degree, just depends what path you want to take.
Reply 3
New...Romantic
What kind of career were you looking for when you applied? I'm sure there are plenty of options with that degree, just depends what path you want to take.

Yeah true, but as said above I just didn't want to be doing research all my life, I'd rather do something working with people / patients but I suppose its a long way to go.

ps, you are probably in my biology class haha
Gary10k
Yeah true, but as said above I just didn't want to be doing research all my life, I'd rather do something working with people / patients but I suppose its a long way to go.

ps, you are probably in my biology class haha

Mmm that's the same as me, that's why I chose Pharmacy. Doesn't help you much though. Umm I really don't know what you could do in that kind of area, did you have anything in particular in mind?

I suppose with a degree of any sort you could go into a graduate level position in an office or something. The excitement. This guy I work with is in 4th year doing almost the same as you, Immunology and Microbiology, and he's going to be a fireman. I'm sorry, I'm not much help.

Yeah probably :p: First thing on Mondays and Fridays? I hate that class.
Reply 5
Gary10k
Im studying a joint honors in Pharmacology and Immunology...I like my chemistry and biology but the more I think about it the more im worried that I will be stuck in research yknow... constantly looking down a microscope and bacteria and cells and was hoping for a bit more than that.

You don't have to specifically be using a Light Microscope all the time. If you're looking into structural relationships and drug activity/toxicity you could well be using other microscopy and spectroscopy methods.

However, if you focus on the clinical aspects of pharmacology and immunology you could well move into the fields of medical testing on animals and tissue/cell samples.

There are a load of areas you could go into I am sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending