The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Calumcalum
Hello.

hi there
Alex L
We don't get a choice next year :frown:

That's harsh. They told us at the mummy/daddy training that apparently it was already decided who was going where before you guys even got here.

The odds are good though - only 40 or 50 people get sent to preston from Manchester each year, out of 360 or so. The rest come from St Andrews.
what's the deal with Preston. You guys are making it sound pretty grim :s-smilie:
sidewalkwhenshewalks
what's the deal with Preston. You guys are making it sound pretty grim :s-smilie:

Preston is just one of the 4 main teaching hospitals for the university. For clinicals you get attached to one of them as a base and then go out to smaller DGHs (distrisct general hospitals) now and then.

Preston is a really good teaching hospital and what I've seen of their facilities was very impressive. It's just unpopular becuase it's in Preston - most people want to stay in Manchester.
Reply 44
sidewalkwhenshewalks
unlucky mate. Was this without interview?

Yep, no interview... wrote them an e-mail asking for an explanation.
theatrical
Preston is just one of the 4 main teaching hospitals for the university. For clinicals you get attached to one of them as a base and then go out to smaller DGHs (distrisct general hospitals) now and then.

Preston is a really good teaching hospital and what I've seen of their facilities was very impressive. It's just unpopular becuase it's in Preston - most people want to stay in Manchester.

ah i see :biggrin:
D_o_S
Yep, no interview... wrote them an e-mail asking for an explanation.

Best of luck with the rest of your applications :smile:
Reply 47
Oreyyt

Got my interview on the 11th

Can anyone give a run through of how theirs went?

and of course some helpful advice?

Cheersss !
-Tom
Oreyyt

Got my interview on the 11th

Can anyone give a run through of how theirs went?

and of course some helpful advice?

Cheersss !

have a look through the first page of the thread
if you have any specific questions then ask away
Reply 49
I am still waiting for an interview from manchester. I really want to go to manchester now after having had my very 1st interview there for biomed. However, my UKCAT was below ( around) 600 so i am thinking i would have to wait for quite long till they get back to me! is that true? dont they look at other aspects of your application?
Reply 50
ahh good thinkin batman

what were the individual interviews like? full of pbl style questions?
memenme_1
I am still waiting for an interview from manchester. I really want to go to manchester now after having had my very 1st interview there for biomed. However, my UKCAT was below ( around) 600 so i am thinking i would have to wait for quite long till they get back to me! is that true? dont they look at other aspects of your application?

They score each applicants personal statement and reference. Those that reach the cut-off score for that component then get ranked by UKCAT. The top 750 or so from the ranking get interviewed.

If you haven't heard yet then no news is good news!
Reply 52
I'm in almost the same position as you memenme_1

It makes you wonder where they've got to so far. if they've already decided on people to interiew and have set dates all the way to Februrary then:

1. there can't be many spaces left as i'm sure on their website they only go until end of Feb and not into March

2. the people with interviews must have got past all of the preliminary stages which should mean they where in the top X of UKCAT scores meaning they should have a list with the top 750?
Reply 53
memenme_1

I'm pretty sure we had a variety of UKCAT scores at my interview, with some around 600. Can't remember exactly...Joe (sidewalks) might remember
Reply 54
trektor
I'm in almost the same position as you memenme_1

It makes you wonder where they've got to so far. if they've already decided on people to interiew and have set dates all the way to Februrary then:

1. there can't be many spaces left as i'm sure on their website they only go until end of Feb and not into March

2. the people with interviews must have got past all of the preliminary stages which should mean they where in the top X of UKCAT scores meaning they should have a list with the top 750?

I agree, and it makes me kind of worried as well. In my college, there is this other guy who has applied for medicine at manchester and hasnt heard from them yet. hmmm..well all the best of luck to us i guess.....
leon2112
I'm pretty sure we had a variety of UKCAT scores at my interview, with some around 600. Can't remember exactly...Joe (sidewalks) might remember

the lowest was around 640 that shouldn't dishearten anyone with a lower score because they look at all of your application, not just the UKCAT
:smile:
-Tom
ahh good thinkin batman

what were the individual interviews like? full of pbl style questions?

just a few things about work experience etc
one lady asked about the group exercise... turned out she wasn't a fan of PBL at all and she perked up after i told her some of the disadvantages of it so it is probably best to go with your true opinion of PBL (as long as it isn't too extreme) :biggrin:
Reply 57
sidewalkwhenshewalks
just a few things about work experience etc
one lady asked about the group exercise... turned out she wasn't a fan of PBL at all and she perked up after i told her some of the disadvantages of it so it is probably best to go with your true opinion of PBL (as long as it isn't too extreme) :biggrin:

ahh okay, that doesnt sound too bad

cheers mate
would all interviews for manchester be sent out by now?
Isometrix
would all interviews for manchester be sent out by now?

Probably not. Even if they've sent interview invites to all the people on the interview shortlist, they'll probably have a reserve list too. Once most of the interviews are done they'll know how many of the original 750 or so they want to make offers to, if they still need to make more offers then they'll start calling people up off the shortlist.

That's how it's worked in previous years. One of my friends wasn't called for interview till easter when we applied.

They won't just pick 750 people to interview and then commit themselves to taking x amount of them. If people from the original shortlist aren't good enough in the actual interview then they'll start calling from the reserve list people.

Latest

Trending

Trending