The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oxymoronic
Welcome to the best university ever :biggrin:

Just seen that you three have all made freshers blogs so you'd best keep them updated with the joys of Edinburgh along with helping out our crazy 2013 applicants in this forum :smile:

Oh yeah. Don't worry
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I am officially now a student at the University of Edinburgh. :smile:

My degree title is French and Spanish. :smile: I actually changed it from Italian and Spanish. However, I must say that studying Japanese has always been my dream and I was too afraid to apply for it so I took it as my third subject. Therefore, I'm studying Spanish 1B, French 1B and Japanese 1. I was wondering, how intensive will 3 languages really be? Japanese will be especially difficult I'm aware but I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm wanting to switch my main degree course to it, so maybe at the end of 1st year or 2nd year. Unfortunately, as I'm taking Spanish and French it means that I can't take East Asian Civilisation 1 which is the history/politics of Japan and China. In order for me to qualify for a degree in Japanese I'd need to take that as well; but, having spoken to Dr. Helen Parker (who is, by the way, ever so lovely), it was confirmed that I could take it up in 2nd year if I so desired and that I can attend the lectures freely in the meantime.

I guess, I was just wanting to say all of this somewhere. The reason I don't want to drop Spanish and French at the moment is because I want some experience in them for future purposes and also, I don't really know which one I'd prefer so I'm sticking them out I guess. I hope I'm not being stubborn and making a mistake! :tongue:

Nice to meet you all! :smile: I hope to be around here for a very, very long time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2002
I'm looking forward to going back - second round at english lit, here we go! Can't wait to see Greg Walker again haha
Leaving for my year abroad tomorrow. Help.
Original post by dothestrand

Awesome! What country are you going to?

Oooh where are you going? How do you feel about it? :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
I am officially now a student at the University of Edinburgh. :smile:

My degree title is French and Spanish. :smile: I actually changed it from Italian and Spanish. However, I must say that studying Japanese has always been my dream and I was too afraid to apply for it so I took it as my third subject. Therefore, I'm studying Spanish 1B, French 1B and Japanese 1. I was wondering, how intensive will 3 languages really be? Japanese will be especially difficult I'm aware but I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm wanting to switch my main degree course to it, so maybe at the end of 1st year or 2nd year. Unfortunately, as I'm taking Spanish and French it means that I can't take East Asian Civilisation 1 which is the history/politics of Japan and China. In order for me to qualify for a degree in Japanese I'd need to take that as well; but, having spoken to Dr. Helen Parker (who is, by the way, ever so lovely), it was confirmed that I could take it up in 2nd year if I so desired and that I can attend the lectures freely in the meantime.

I guess, I was just wanting to say all of this somewhere. The reason I don't want to drop Spanish and French at the moment is because I want some experience in them for future purposes and also, I don't really know which one I'd prefer so I'm sticking them out I guess. I hope I'm not being stubborn and making a mistake! :tongue:

Nice to meet you all! :smile: I hope to be around here for a very, very long time.

Cool! I've got a feeling that Japanese in 2nd year is worth more than 40 (80 I think) and you're also encouraged to do additional culture/film courses in the European languages side of the course too. Yeah, you can take 1st year courses in 2nd year as long as you have room in your timetable and there's enough space in the timetable so given Japanese 2nd year is worth 80 credits and you'd also need to take the 40 credit EAC course, you'd need to transfer your degree to Japanese at the end of 1st year then drop your other two languages if you were serious about doing the full degree.

http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/12-13/dpt/utjapns.htm
Original post by Emmie3303
Awesome! What country are you going to?

Original post by oxymoronic
Oooh where are you going? How do you feel about it? :smile:

I'm in Milan for Erasmus until February, then working at Disneyland Paris March-August.
My original plans changed at the very last minute, I only found out I was coming here two weeks ago so it's been mad. I still don't have anywhere to live which isn't ideal. But it's all good. I've even managed to speak Italian instead of chickening out and asking everyone 'Parla inglese?'.
I'm in Milan for Erasmus until February, then working at Disneyland Paris March-August.
My original plans changed at the very last minute, I only found out I was coming here two weeks ago so it's been mad. I still don't have anywhere to live which isn't ideal. But it's all good. I've even managed to speak Italian instead of chickening out and asking everyone 'Parla inglese?'.

Wow that sounds amazing! I hope you have a great time :smile:.
Definitely made the right decision choosing ECA/Edinburgh :biggrin: having lectures & stuff to do makes things a whole lot better :tongue:
Reply 2010
Does anyone know why the fire alarm went off in he library today?
Original post by Nicck
Does anyone know why the fire alarm went off in he library today?

Did they make you go outside?

I assume they do tests every week at a set time like in all the other uni buildings. A few weeks ago they evacuated everyone when I was in there but there wasn't actually anything wrong. It wasn't a drill either :confused:.
Reply 2012
Hi, anyone have any idea about when the December exam schedule is gonna be up?
Reply 2013
Was anyone in the library when the fire alarm went off a few days ago???
Original post by metjush

It was always normally around the beginning of November/late October time.
There's usually a note on the registry's website saying when it will be released.

Original post by Kiss
Was anyone in the library when the fire alarm went off a few days ago???

Well I definitely wasn't! :biggrin:
Reply 2015
Original post by metjush

29th of October
Reply 2016
Anyone know why the fire alarm went off yesterday?
The fire alarm in the History department went off for no particular reason yesterday too. I'm starting to think they are all just drills but they tell you it's not a test to get a better idea of how fast they can evacuate people. If everyone knew it was a drill then they'd just stroll out instead of making an effort to leave quickly :p:. Yesterday within 5 seconds of the alarm going off the fire officer was in the study room on the 5th floor already wearing his high vis jacket and holding a clipboard. If he managed to react like that in 5 seconds to a real alarm I'd be very impressed.
They test the alarms every Friday at ECA, always scares the absolute crap out of me :eek:
Reply 2019
Hi guys, two stupid questions from a first year noob stressing out for nonsense :smile:

I'll have my first exam in Pleasance sports hall, is this hard to find? I haven't yet been around there. Is it that sport and exercise centre -building? Also, are we expected to show up before the time mentioned in exam timetable since I assume there's some instructions going on?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending