The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by 3sixsix
Hi guys, two stupid questions from a first year noob stressing out for nonsense :smile:

I'll have my first exam in Pleasance sports hall, is this hard to find? I haven't yet been around there. Is it that sport and exercise centre -building? Also, are we expected to show up before the time mentioned in exam timetable since I assume there's some instructions going on?

Thanks!

The sports hall is indeed in the sports and exercise centre. . You go through the archway to the car-park and head down to the end of the building. It'll be where everyone else is going - there are several exams at once, normally. This should show you roughly what I mean. In fact, through the wonders of google, you can see the ramp to the door here.

Yes, get there early. The time on the timetable is when the exam starts. So get there at least 15 minutes early. It's not so much of an issue there, but at other locations (St Leonard's Land in particular) there can be a bit of a queue to get in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2021
Just having some first year panic. I'm just wondering what happens if I fail my exams? If I say fail 2/3 modules this exam season - does it mean I won't progress to second year or will I have a chance to resit them in summer? I am fairly certain this won't happen! Just wondering out of interest/stop my stupid panic. Thanks.
Original post by Organ
Just having some first year panic. I'm just wondering what happens if I fail my exams? If I say fail 2/3 modules this exam season - does it mean I won't progress to second year or will I have a chance to resit them in summer? I am fairly certain this won't happen! Just wondering out of interest/stop my stupid panic. Thanks.

Depends on course requirements, in 2nd year I know some courses (e.g. French 2) say you have to pass on the first sit in order to go onto Honours. The majority of courses allow for re-sits though, which take place in August. I think they may cost but I'm not 100% sure!
Anyone know a good place to get laptops fixed near central e.g. Nicholson street?
My keyboard is starting to go wrong...
Original post by lizfairy
Anyone know a good place to get laptops fixed near central e.g. Nicholson street?

There's a place on Forrest Road that looks not altogether crooked.
Original post by lizfairy

The guys down at User 2 on Clerk Street are always really friendly and happy to help. They might be worth a try :smile:.
Hey guys :smile:

I am in my first year of English lit and History here, and am getting really worried about the uni's newspaper reputation for feedback/academic. My experience so far is that we've had little preparation for essays (we were meant to know what we were doing, go out and do it), and my experience with tutors is that they do give help when emailed, but sometimes it's very much "what do you think you should do?" rather than "the advice I can give you".

I hope this doesn't sound like whining as I'm explaining my experience in order to see how it may compare to others'.

The problem I have is that I don't really know how it is at other universities, but surely the fact that Edinburgh is at the bottom says something?

My thought is that it may just be that the general feeling of support isn't there as it is in other universities, with the fact that Edinburgh is very research-led. I hope this is the case.

It is something which really panics me, as I haven't got a lot of confidence in myself and after my first essay got a poor mark, I felt a little alone, but as I said, this may just be the same elsewhere.

Sometimes I feel like dropping out incase support gets worse, but this is extreme so I'd love some advice from others. Does anyone have any advice or condolence?

Thank you! Have a merry Christmas :smile: xx
Hi there.
I am a third year student at the Business School (major Business Studies).
Can I defer a year next year? I cant find the information about deferring a year during undergraduate, only deferred entry.

I want to go to another country, say US, to travel/ volunteer/ work...
Do you think it is easy for me to have my next year deferred?

Oh and btw, I am an international student. My UK's Visa ends in 2014, when I am supposed to finish my 4th year. So if next year I go to the US I will have to have my UK visa extended when I come back to EDinburgh to start my 4th year after a gap year.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:
Reply 2028
I too am a first year at Edinburgh but studying a rather different course - Veterinary Medicine. Firstly I would say not to panic at this stage. It's very early days - we've only just finished our first semester and work at university is not a breeze by any means. It takes time to adjust to the workload and exactly what the lecturers are looking for in terms of essays and assessments. In time things will improve I'm sure.

I have also heard that Edinburgh's student 'satisfaction' rating isn't particularly high. This is partly the reason why they've rolled out the new personal tutor system to replace the DoS system that was in place previously. It's supposed to give the students a bit more pastoral support and provide someone to go to with academic/social/personal problems.

I don't really know how Edinburgh compares at other universities but so far I've been really impressed with the level of support from the staff. Obviously there will be differences between schools and departments, but I think the fact that Edinburgh as you say is quite research-led doesn't stop it being excellent in terms of teaching.

I hope things improve for you, just stick with it and over time I'm sure the fog will clear. Good luck with it all.
Original post by DurhamLady

I am in my first year of English lit and History here, and am getting really worried about the uni's newspaper reputation for feedback/academic. My experience so far is that we've had little preparation for essays (we were meant to know what we were doing, go out and do it), and my experience with tutors is that they do give help when emailed, but sometimes it's very much "what do you think you should do?" rather than "the advice I can give you".

I hope this doesn't sound like whining as I'm explaining my experience in order to see how it may compare to others'.

The problem I have is that I don't really know how it is at other universities, but surely the fact that Edinburgh is at the bottom says something?

My thought is that it may just be that the general feeling of support isn't there as it is in other universities, with the fact that Edinburgh is very research-led. I hope this is the case.

It is something which really panics me, as I haven't got a lot of confidence in myself and after my first essay got a poor mark, I felt a little alone, but as I said, this may just be the same elsewhere.

Sometimes I feel like dropping out incase support gets worse, but this is extreme so I'd love some advice from others. Does anyone have any advice or condolence?

Hey,

Sorry you're having a difficult first semester - it can be hard moving from school where you have a lot of support and guidance to university where you're expected to work it out for yourself.

My experience of Edinburgh (when compared to that of my friends and also that of my younger brother) was that Edinburgh is very into developing "independent thinkers" and uses quite a hands off method of teaching. At undergraduate level you're supposed to be an independent learner rather than being guided through your work and there are no clear assessment objectives or hoops to jump through like there are at school level. This means the tutors are going to be encouraging you to work out ideas for yourself rather than being told XYZ then going away to write it in an essay. This is particularly pertinent in a subject like English lit where there isn't a right or a wrong because it's simply about your ideas, your personal interpretation of something and how it relates to literary theory which isn't something that you will have really done at school. From what I have experienced via chit chat with friends when we were undergraduates and what I have seen of my brother's experience (he has also just finished his first term at university) is that other universities do bridge the gap between school and university in a different way to what I experienced at Edinburgh. My brother has certainly had a lot more hand holding/spoon feeding in his first term than I ever experienced during my degree. Many universities now have "academic writing" classes for new undergraduates to help them cope and adjust to the level of work required at undergrad. As far as I'm aware Edinburgh do not offer this and prefer to let people work that out on their own.

I would also say that feedback ratings are based on the opinions of final year undergraduates who finished this summer. These students would have started in 2008 under the "old" system meaning their views will probably not correlate to what undergraduates in the early years are experiencing now. Similarly, it also depends on how one defines the support and guidance that people should get at undergraduate level - is it that other universities (and schools) have dropped the bar and are offering more support than they should meaning Edinburgh seems harsh? Or is it that truly, Edinburgh aren't doing what they should be doing?

Have you tried completing a first draft of an essay on your own then taking it to your tutor to ask them to work through it with you? This will allow them to guide you more and use your own thoughts rather than simply telling you how they would do it themselves. Similarly, ask for feedback on your previous essay to find out why they felt it wasn't worthy of a high mark.... or alternatively, it could be that you are setting yourself incredibly high standards. What mark did you get, out of interest?

How has the support you've had in English lit compared to your other subjects? How have you felt there? And how have others in your English lit tutorials found the transition to university?
Original post by kimmochua
Hi there.
I am a third year student at the Business School (major Business Studies).
Can I defer a year next year? I cant find the information about deferring a year during undergraduate, only deferred entry.

I want to go to another country, say US, to travel/ volunteer/ work...
Do you think it is easy for me to have my next year deferred?

Oh and btw, I am an international student. My UK's Visa ends in 2014, when I am supposed to finish my 4th year. So if next year I go to the US I will have to have my UK visa extended when I come back to EDinburgh to start my 4th year after a gap year.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

Hey,

I know of two people who did this between 3rd and 4th year. One was an international student (also from the US) and another was from the UK. You'll need to speak to your DoS and see what they say - you'll probably need to have a concrete plan and reasons for not entering 4th year directly. There won't be much information on it because it isn't an overly common thing to do unless students repeat a year due to failing it but it certainly is possible depending on the circumstances for doing so.
Thank you very much oxymoronic for your response. Well I'm not from the US, will need a visa to get there for a gap year. Do you think they will make it difficult? Because if they are strict I might need to plan more carefully as I want it to successfully defer a year...

Thanks again :smile:

PS: Part of my reason: I have ups and downs in my 1st two years here, literally i didnt care much (or honestly almost not at all) about things, future, plans... But now i recovered and realized that I could have done much more better if I didnt have troubles (emotionally) in my 1st 2 years. Now I am energetic and more determined to make it up for the time I 've spent on recovering process rather than making the best out of my studies, work, relationships, etc... I think it would be great to have a year off then come back to study. Have been spending 2 days so far looking for options for gap year like jobs, internship, volunteering programs but still have more to work on. My grades were not good in my 1st 2 years so kinda hard for me to find an internship or a 12 month internship though. (I mean I can find some kind of guaranteed internship but not sure if they are good, I dont want to waste time at somewhere I cant learn anything new)...
So ive done making my long story shorter...

ANy more detailed info would definitely help :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kimmochua
ANy more detailed info would definitely help :smile:

This really is something you should take up with your personal tutor. It's not generally encouraged (you're meant to do honours in one go) but I know people who took a break in the middle as well. I would go and discuss this with your personal tutor - each person's circumstances are unique in these situations.
Original post by oxymoronic
Many universities now have "academic writing" classes for new undergraduates to help them cope and adjust to the level of work required at undergrad.

I've taken one of those as a postgraduate. Unfortunately, they're less about helping you to hone your style or giving out useful tips, and more about patronising foreigners and telling people not to plagiarise. An undergraduate equivalent would need to be a great more useful whilst being delivered to a lot more people. That said, I'm this sort of thing is coming at Edinburgh - it's only a matter of time.
after my first essay got a poor mark

With the anonymity of the internet, would you mind telling us what that "poor" mark was? It strikes me that the transition from school to university often sets up expectations of high marks at university for many - marks in the 50s can seem disheartening coming from a background being a high achiever in school - but they are perfectly acceptable in the mark scheme and leave room for development over your university career.
Reply 2035

I'm a fourth year English Lit student and I'd just like to echo what oxymoronic and nearlyheadlessian have said about 'poor' marks - even if you got something like a 50, please don't consider this a poor mark at all, especially for your first few essays. Most people, in my experience, feel very disappointed after getting their first essays back because they see the number without really concentrating on what that means on the grading scale. I would go back and have a look at the grade descriptors in the English Literature Writing Guide for reassurance because you'll find that essays which receive supposedly 'poor' marks still have a lot of merit.

Also, there's something I've found to be quite specific when it comes to English Lit, which is that because it's a very high-demand subject, almost everyone who gets in has top grades and has invariably been the best at English at school. So you're suddenly being placed alongside people who are also really good students and I think this causes a lot of anxiety and stress. I've found that a lot of people on my course, even now, are really competitive and constantly comparing themselves, which I try to avoid as much as possible (easier said than done, though). To be honest, a lot of people I know doing English Lit consider anything less than a 70 on an essay a poor mark, but I don't find that to be a productive attitude, so I would try not to get into that mindset.

Anyway, sorry for the really rambling reply! I've found that feedback can vary a bit from tutor to tutor but feedback in English Lit, on the whole, I've found feedback to be pretty high quality, and your tutor will always be happy to meet up and discuss in more depth if you have any questions about your essays.
Original post by oxymoronic
Hey,

What mark did you get, out of interest?

How has the support you've had in English lit compared to your other subjects? How have you felt there? And how have others in your English lit tutorials found the transition to university?

I got 49, and on my second essay I got 63. The problem isn't the marks, it is what I feel lies behind them. I did try to talk to my tutor who asked a lot of what I thought was wrong, and nodded his head to what I told him, which was that my problem was in the planning stages of essays (at A-level, my exams were never past a high B because in the quick planning time my arguments were never coherent enough or had a clear line of argument running throughout.

That probably sounds very convoluted, but basically writing my third I didn't feel as though I particularly had learned anything from the one in which I got 63, and I'm not sure my tutor helped me get there - it was through a lot of panic and perhaps even luck that I wrote my argument clearly.
Plus, the 63 was on a short play and short story, not a full blown novel that would have perhaps required more skill to get an argument out of.

I'm sorry for rambling on - like I said, I'm not all that confident and the feedback thing at Edinburgh is what is panicking me the most. Perhaps if that wasn't there I would feel a little better. A few people post news articles on Facebook saying "this is what proves we have wasted £9k a year" which isn't very nice to see either. :/

I haven't really asked people in my tutorial. The three people I do talk to were all in the 70s from the beginning and just say how easy they have found it, so obviously, like Static said, that makes it hard to see other people having issues like me.

Do you have any advice for beginning to prepare for the exam next term? I'm sorry to ask but your previous post cheered me up, and should my tutor fail to give me solid advice even if I push him, a past student's would be invaluable.

Thanks again :biggrin:
I got 49, and on my second essay I got 63. The problem isn't the marks, it is what I feel lies behind them. I did try to talk to my tutor who asked a lot of what I thought was wrong, and nodded his head to what I told him, which was that my problem was in the planning stages of essays (at A-level, my exams were never past a high B because in the quick planning time my arguments were never coherent enough or had a clear line of argument running throughout.

That probably sounds very convoluted, but basically writing my third I didn't feel as though I particularly had learned anything from the one in which I got 63, and I'm not sure my tutor helped me get there - it was through a lot of panic and perhaps even luck that I wrote my argument clearly.
Plus, the 63 was on a short play and short story, not a full blown novel that would have perhaps required more skill to get an argument out of.

I'm sorry for rambling on - like I said, I'm not all that confident and the feedback thing at Edinburgh is what is panicking me the most. Perhaps if that wasn't there I would feel a little better. A few people post news articles on Facebook saying "this is what proves we have wasted £9k a year" which isn't very nice to see either. :/

I haven't really asked people in my tutorial. The three people I do talk to were all in the 70s from the beginning and just say how easy they have found it, so obviously, like Static said, that makes it hard to see other people having issues like me.

Do you have any advice for beginning to prepare for the exam next term? I'm sorry to ask but your previous post cheered me up, and should my tutor fail to give me solid advice even if I push him, a past student's would be invaluable.

Hi :smile:

63 is a good mark and you can build on a 49 so don't be downhearted :smile:. First years are not expected to get 70+ in their first few essays. People do achieve those kind of marks but it doesn't necessarily mean they're finding it easy or that they're going to breeze through. Also, it's never good to be complacent and getting high marks from day 1 can sometimes cause people to be a little overconfident. You're always looking to improve so it doesn't really matter whether you got 50 or 70. The good thing about first and second year is that you develop the skills necessary to write at a higher academic level. Planning is something that you will be able to work on as you write more essays. I often find it hard to plan if I haven't done enough reading. Do you feel like you're spending enough time on that stage of the essay? Everyone has different ways of writing essays and you just need time to find what suits you best.

A good basic tip I received was to make sure not to use 'however' and 'on the other hand' too much. This can make the line of argument confusing for a reader. It sounds like quite a simple stylistic point but it does make a huge difference. Using too many phrases like that suggests that there are many turns in the argument so it's difficult to see where the essay is going. If you take a marked essay to the person who marked it then they will probably be happy to go through it with you in more detail. Don't be scared to go along to see a tutor in their office hours or drop them an email asking for a little extra guidance :smile:.
Reply 2038

As has been said, 63 is a good mark, and 49 is far form being a disaster. It's definitely a shock going from getting very high marks at school to the occasional 'bad' mark at university. Everyone has the occasional bad essay or assignment.

I found planning my essays to be a bit difficult in my first year. I'd managed to get away without much planning at school, but that fell down a bit. It helped me to completely plan the essay before starting it. It's very tempting to start writing before you've finished the research and branch off as the essay evolves. If you dedicate a day or two to reading, research and taking notes, you can develop an argument well in advance. It certainly helped me stick to what I was writing.

I really wouldn't pay much attention to what other people are saying. Some people will never be satisfied with the course. If they genuinely thought they were wasting their tuition fees, they'd leave. The fact that they are still matriculated shows something. They're either not actually that unhappy, or they're idiots for paying thousands a year for something they don't value. So either way you can ignore them!

On a similar note, don't compare yourself to other people in your tutorials. You have no idea if they're actually getting the marks they claim. It emerged at the end of my first year that a couple of people I knew who claimed to be getting high A's had failed numerous exams. Even if they are there's no point comparing yourself to them. Just focus on your work and let them focus on theirs. Why bother expending energy on other people's essays?

As for exam preparation; do what suits you best. You must have done well in school to get into this university. So if you can replicate how you studied for your A Levels then it will help. A big point is to give yourself plenty of time. Remember that your exams will be after the Easter holidays, so you have them to revise in.

Personally, I found a revision timetable to be useful. Setting myself a manageable amount of work each day and sticking to it helped me work through each course.
Original post by NeoNerd

As for exam preparation; do what suits you best. You must have done well in school to get into this university. So if you can replicate how you studied for your A Levels then it will help. A big point is to give yourself plenty of time. Remember that your exams will be after the Easter holidays, so you have them to revise in.

Personally, I found a revision timetable to be useful. Setting myself a manageable amount of work each day and sticking to it helped me work through each course.

Thank you NeoNerd, I really do find your tip about entirely planning essays beforehand useful, and it is what I have done throughout school and now at university. :smile:

My big questions are, how do you translate this method in an exam? You only have 5-10mins to plan what is ususally a complex question, do you have a technique in exams?

The other one is about revising - can you give any advice on what to revise, regardless of whether it is put on spider diagrams or flash cards?

This questions seem very simplistic, but I have never gotten higher than a high B in an exam at A-level. My teacher gave us no support and shut her doors to us at exam time. She didn't hold revision classes or guidelines, or went through revision techniques with us. As a result I was stressed and disorganised, learning in detail specific quotations from a certain character or theme, which was only of use to be in one specific question.

So both on exam revision and exam technique, I am very unprepared, and my mark for Edinburgh was based on getting full marks in all my coursework. This is what scares me the most.

As I said - I am sorry for asking all of these questions, but I feel very panicky about this aspect. I know I am clever enough and my ideas in class were always really strong, but revision and technique stopped me getting As. The Bs were a stab in the dark, really. :smile:

I hope you had a great Christmas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending