The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
I bet your mum hasn't thrown hers out. I bought three.

I don't believe she bought one :wink:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I don't believe she bought one :wink:

Heartless, unnatural mother.:wink:
The invoice for additional course fees for 2014/15 has landed in my inbox. Must be nearly September. *gulp*
Reply 2123
I've already been to the library to take out books to prepare for next year.
Original post by soup
I've already been to the library to take out books to prepare for next year.

For some of us, we're still hoping to get some more work done this year before we even think about work for next year!
Hello everyone :biggrin:

Basically I'm interested in starting a Minecraft society at Edinburgh Uni, but before I actually organize anything I need to know if there is actually any genuine interest in it..

So if you love Minecraft could you maybe check out the link below, or tell people who you think could be interested in it?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2907517

Any help would be awesome :smile:
Hello everyone, I'm applying for next year's PhD at Univ of Edinburgh (New Testament). I am from the U.S. and will have 2 kids with me (10, 13). Is there that moved to Scotland who would be willing to chat with my wife about schools for the kids, life in Scotland, etc?

Thanks,
Jim
Original post by Leavenworth
Hello everyone, I'm applying for next year's PhD at Univ of Edinburgh (New Testament). I am from the U.S. and will have 2 kids with me (10, 13). Is there that moved to Scotland who would be willing to chat with my wife about schools for the kids, life in Scotland, etc?

Thanks,
Jim

I guess you're applying to Divinity? You may want to get in touch with them and ask if they can hook you up with someone who has similar circumstances - I know there are a lot of people from the States doing research in Divinity. The only person I know of who made the move from the States to Edinburgh for a PhD with kids chose to homeschool them, but they've also decided to pack up and go home...
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I guess you're applying to Divinity? You may want to get in touch with them and ask if they can hook you up with someone who has similar circumstances - I know there are a lot of people from the States doing research in Divinity. The only person I know of who made the move from the States to Edinburgh for a PhD with kids chose to homeschool them, but they've also decided to pack up and go home...

Good advice, I am doing that through a couple students I know there but it seems an old buy (48) like me is the exception and most of them have smaller non school-age kids.

Do you know why that one couple has decided to go home?

Jim
I'm going to be a postgraduate student at university of Edinburgh starting september. I have been reading about the university and was surprised to see that`they have a archery team, none of the univ's in India have an archery team, I have recently started practicing archery. Is there a place where amateur archery enthusiasts can practice archery? Is some kind of membership required for it?

I'm also excited about The Tower and The Rock. I guess that will be one of my favourite places in Edinburgh.
Any alumni about who know how we can access our module grades? MyEd only shows my contact preferences for all the promotional stuff and Learn is restricted to current students only.
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice from current Psychology (BSc or MA) students at Edinburgh!

I'm currently a fresher, studying at Oxford Brookes and absolutely hate it. For a lot of personal reasons, I'm looking to change. At the moment, my options are Edinburgh and Sheffield. Sheffield have offered me a conditional transfer into second year if I get a 2:1 but Edinburgh said that they will have to consider whether to let me into year 2, based on how similar my current course is.
Does anyone know if I may be disadvantaged by starting in year 2 at Edinburgh, if they decided to accept me?

I'm classed as an international student (despite being British) as I grew up overseas, so it's a major decision for me to decide to go to Edinburgh as it's significantly more expensive.

I've visited the city before and absolutely loved it. What I'm more concerned about is how good the Psychology undergrad course actually is! According to university rankings, Sheffield scores higher than Edinburgh in a lot of ways, including feedback and support that they offer. I know better than to place all of my trust in the rankings, so I was wondering if this is actually true?

What are the pros and cons of Psychology in Edinburgh?

Thank you for your help!

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Is any one from India going to join Edinburgh university this year (2015-16)! I wanted to get to know fellow students..!
Original post by Isy_Sinclair
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice from current Psychology (BSc or MA) students at Edinburgh!

I'm currently a fresher, studying at Oxford Brookes and absolutely hate it. For a lot of personal reasons, I'm looking to change. At the moment, my options are Edinburgh and Sheffield. Sheffield have offered me a conditional transfer into second year if I get a 2:1 but Edinburgh said that they will have to consider whether to let me into year 2, based on how similar my current course is.
Does anyone know if I may be disadvantaged by starting in year 2 at Edinburgh, if they decided to accept me?

I'm classed as an international student (despite being British) as I grew up overseas, so it's a major decision for me to decide to go to Edinburgh as it's significantly more expensive.

I've visited the city before and absolutely loved it. What I'm more concerned about is how good the Psychology undergrad course actually is! According to university rankings, Sheffield scores higher than Edinburgh in a lot of ways, including feedback and support that they offer. I know better than to place all of my trust in the rankings, so I was wondering if this is actually true?

What are the pros and cons of Psychology in Edinburgh?

Thank you for your help!

:smile:

Not a psychology student but as a graduate I would advise you that your uni experience is what you make of it - objective faculty scores rarely translate to how much you enjoy your time there.

If Edinburgh is significantly more expensive and you don't know if they'll let you skip a year (Scottish degrees are a year longer than in England, don't forget), Sheffield could be the cheaper choice.

But then again if you absolutely fell in love with Edinburgh it's a nice place to live and study. Plus seeing your parents gawp at the interior of the McEwan Hall when you graduate is pretty cool.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey there!

I'm thinking of studying psychology at Oxford Brookes and like you I have a British passport but lived all my life in Jordan. My family are pushing me to go to Brookes, but I just don't have a good feeling about it.
image.jpgHi

I need to try and find a flat for my friend from Australia to stay in next semester. She will be arriving late August and studying at edinburgh until December.
She preferably would like a flat with 3-4 flat mates in 3rd/4th year and a rent of £400 or under.
She's really cool and would make a great additional flat mate to any household, by December you would wish she wasn't leaving!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thinking of dropping out of my current uni to reapply quickly for entry next year, for English and French. Any thoughts on this? Any inside info on either subject? Would love any help at all, trying to make a big decision here. Thank you!
Original post by hwilliams97
Thinking of dropping out of my current uni to reapply quickly for entry next year, for English and French. Any thoughts on this? Any inside info on either subject? Would love any help at all, trying to make a big decision here. Thank you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 2139
Hello, and sorry for not skimming through all of 107 pages for what I'm about to ask.

How hard is it to find a job in Edinburgh these days? I'm from EU and I'm planning to move there in the following month for a foundation year, so I'd be interested in finding just ANY job as soon as possible. Retail, waiting tables, sales assistant, anything.

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending