The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Jillee
Can't believe this is Week 9... eeek. :o:

Urgh, I know. My first exam is in less than three weeks! Argh.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Rainfaery
My first exam is in less than three weeks! Argh.

My only exam is in less than a week. (And with no Christmas exams this semester feels awfully short :frown: ).

Although it is "only" a class test not a full blown exam, still, 25% in one two hour session in less than a week should be something to worry about.
artorscience?
My only exam is in less than a week. (And with no Christmas exams this semester feels awfully short :frown: ).

Although it is "only" a class test not a full blown exam, still, 25% in one two hour session in less than a week should be something to worry about.

:frown: Woe for you.

I am nervous, since my physics exam is worth 60%, my differential equations exam is worth 70%, and my other maths exams are worth 85%. If I **** up, well then, things will *not* be good for me.

<sigh> Are you in third year or fourth year?
Rainfaery
:frown: Woe for you.

I am nervous, since my physics exam is worth 60%, my differential equations exam is worth 70%, and my other maths exams are worth 85%. If I **** up, well then, things will *not* be good for me.

<sigh> Are you in third year or fourth year?

3rd, so I get to do it all over again next year, with the added pressure of dissertation and applications. :woo:

Don't worry about your exams too much, you've got this year to adjust a little to being here. You'll be fine, this year is a friendly building block for you, not something to worry about too much. (Plus if the worst comes to the absolute worst, there's always August...)
artorscience?
3rd, so I get to do it all over again next year, with the added pressure of dissertation and applications. :woo:

Don't worry about your exams too much, you've got this year to adjust a little to being here. You'll be fine, this year is a friendly building block for you, not something to worry about too much. (Plus if the worst comes to the absolute worst, there's always August...)

Yeah, I know. Second year doesn't count towards my degree or anything, but I hate not doing well at stuff. At least it's only four exams this time. Seven in May. :frown:

Does the university have a cap on the grade you can get in a resit?
Rainfaery
Does the university have a cap on the grade you can get in a resit?

I don't know if it's university wide or on a school by school/college by college basis, but the only number I've come across is that a student can score no higher than 50% for the course overall if they resit the exam, and has to appeal for honours rather than just being let in if it's 2nd year.

And I used to hate doing badly on exams, and all the rest, but the last two years here have taught me to lower my standards. And lower them some more. At least now disappointment shouldn't strike me too hard - although I have no realistic idea of what I can achieve.
artorscience?
3rd, so I get to do it all over again next year, with the added pressure of dissertation and applications.

It is actually horrible and way more stressful than I ever imagined it would be.... have fun! 48 hours before your dissertation deadline is not the time to realise you've actually got a major flaw in your argument. So have fun next year!!

And since when did the library a) have some weird announcement thing with a man talking to tell you the floors are closing, and b) close any floors at 10:45???

1st and 2nd years - do not worry at all about exams, just use them as practise runs as it really doesn't matter what you get as long as you pass :smile:
oxymoronic
And since when did the library a) have some weird announcement thing with a man talking to tell you the floors are closing

A few weeks ago they used the tannoy system to tell people only to drink hot drinks on the ground floor and other menial thing on just to disturb the peace during normal daytime hours. At least telling you floors are closing is a useful announcement, advertisment for the library cafe is not.
artorscience?
A few weeks ago they used the tannoy system to tell people only to drink hot drinks on the ground floor and other menial thing on just to disturb the peace during normal daytime hours. At least telling you floors are closing is a useful announcement, advertisment for the library cafe is not.

I don't object to it for real announcements, it beats the stupidly horrible bell any day!! I was more surprised than anything as it was my first outing to the 5th floor ever so didn't know that they did that :smile:

At least it means the library staff are doing something if they're making annoucements... the security people are normally playing on solitare and watching dvds whenever I go past!
Reply 209
Got 60% in my first coursework of the year, quite pleased with that!
Jillee
Got 60% in my first coursework of the year, quite pleased with that!

Congrats :biggrin:
I got 73 % on my first Scottish Lit essay :eek3: (okay, 'close reading exercise' ) but I have a feeling this is not going to be the start of a trend considering how confused my second one was, hah.
Reply 211
24 hour library over the exam period, how exciting.
Absurd
24 hour library over the exam period, how exciting.

you don't know how actually excited i got about that.... 4th year is making me find odd things fun! :smile: library chat started a whole "comparing libraries" conversation in ps help as it was such a fun topic.... is it all going to be open or certain floors? i've not looked at the info in loads of detail yet and managed to delete the email.
oxymoronic
you don't know how actually excited i got about that.... 4th year is making me find odd things fun! :smile: library chat started a whole "comparing libraries" conversation in ps help as it was such a fun topic.... is it all going to be open or certain floors? i've not looked at the info in loads of detail yet and managed to delete the email.

This is what the email says:

"Information Services (IS) is pleased to announce that following discussions with EUSA the Main Library will be open 24x7 for two weeks in the Semester 1 examination period. The library building will open at 8.30am on Thursday 3rd December and will close at midnight on Thursday 17th December 2009. Normal Semester IS Helpdesk staffed service hours continue unchanged; self-services operate when the Helpdesk is closed. For more information about Main Library opening hours and services, please visit the IS website at: http://www.ed.ac.uk/is "

I wish that the KB libraries were open for 24 hours. :frown:
Reply 214
green_glitter
Congrats :biggrin:
I got 73 % on my first Scottish Lit essay :eek3: (okay, 'close reading exercise' ) but I have a feeling this is not going to be the start of a trend considering how confused my second one was, hah.

Thanks! 73% is really good too!

Kind of ploughing my way through a psychology report just now :frown: and not appreciating the rapid rate exams are coming at!
Reply 215
oxymoronic

I'm bloody excited and I probably won't even make use of it. It'll be good as long as they keep the heating on. All floors I would imagine.
Reply 216
I have no Christmas exams, bonus. Fourth year is kind to me once in a while - does mean I don't get to use the exciting 24 hour library though. Alas, it seems my current essay is going to be 2 days late, which is less than ideal - why on earth did I decide history of Chinese economics would be a good idea. Too many numbers. Anyway, at least then there's nothing to do until all the fun of the dissertation. Woo!
Reply 217
Finally finished my Psych 2 report! 28 pages and 4200 words... eugh! But it's over :biggrin:
Jillee
Finally finished my Psych 2 report! 28 pages and 4200 words... eugh! But it's over :biggrin:

Poor thing, that sounds horrid! My maths project was only 16 pages.
Reply 219
Do most people know what they want to do their dissertation on in second year? :dong:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending