The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Static.
I'm kind of gutted I was home before the snow started in Edinburgh. Still, it's snowed a lot at home too so I haven't really missed out.

When are you heading back to Edinburgh? You might still get it!

oxymoronic
Can not wait to get back to Edinburgh :smile:

Its scary thinking that this is the final time I can say that... this is the final semester :frown:

Unless you end up at Edinburgh for your PGDE :wink:

nearlyheadlessian
Low key, largely. Better than last year though :smile:

That's good. :smile: Mine was also much, much better than last year. Did you spend yours in Sweden, or did you come back to the UK?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 261
B in Social Work 2 :biggrin: Super quick turn around!
Jillee
B in Social Work 2 :biggrin: Super quick turn around!

Well done. :biggrin:

I found out on Wednesday that I got an A2 in physics 2A. Super pleased about that. :biggrin: Still don't know my maths grades, though. :frown:
Reply 263
Rainfaery
Well done. :biggrin:

I found out on Wednesday that I got an A2 in physics 2A. Super pleased about that. :biggrin: Still don't know my maths grades, though. :frown:

Well done that's great! And I know how you feel, I'm still waiting on Psych 2 :s-smilie:
Jillee
Well done that's great! And I know how you feel, I'm still waiting on Psych 2 :s-smilie:

The maths department hasn't even let us know when we can expect to get our marks back. I mean, I understand they've got loads of stuff to mark, but still, give us a timetable!
How the hell are second years getting their results back quicker than me?????

You scared me loads then as I've not checked myed in a few days but luckily they're not on yet so I am still alive for little longer.
oxymoronic
How the hell are second years getting their results back quicker than me?????

You scared me loads then as I've not checked myed in a few days but luckily they're not on yet so I am still alive for little longer.

The people who organised Physics 2A ad a feedback session where they showed us our exam scripts and told us our marks. Nothing's been released on MyEd, though. :frown:
Rainfaery
The people who organised Physics 2A ad a feedback session where they showed us our exam scripts and told us our marks. Nothing's been released on MyEd, though. :frown:

to be honest, i'm quite happy living in my ignorant bliss where i think i am actually going to pass my degree for as long as possible! hope your other marks work out okay :smile:
oxymoronic
to be honest, i'm quite happy living in my ignorant bliss where i think i am actually going to pass my degree for as long as possible!

I like my ignorant bliss too. I have absolutely no idea what level I'm working at at the moment which is really terrifying 'cos I could be working to a first level or a third and I have no idea... damn minimum feedback and courses that run through the year. So for now I can pretend still that I'll do really really well :smile:
artorscience?
I like my ignorant bliss too. I have absolutely no idea what level I'm working at at the moment which is really terrifying 'cos I could be working to a first level or a third and I have no idea... damn minimum feedback and courses that run through the year. So for now I can pretend still that I'll do really really well :smile:

I'm the same - its scary that I'm in the final semester of fourth year and right now have zero idea at all what level I'm actually working at as the last grades I had from the university are in the second semester of second year.

Found out today I get my dissertation back this week, so coupled with exam results it is going to be a scary week :frown:

I assume you're not really at dissertation thinking/proposal stage yet unless you've got a semester one deadline for it? :smile:
oxymoronic
Found out today I get my dissertation back this week, so coupled with exam results it is going to be a scary week

I assume you're not really at dissertation thinking/proposal stage yet unless you've got a semester one deadline for it?:smile:

I'm at the thinking and panicking unofficially stage.

According to the 4th years in Archaeology they don't tell you anything and then give us the form to write our proposal on with a week to go before the end of term, and the deadline. Which is friendly. And given that they have outright refused to talk to us about anything to do with dissertations on numerous occasions thus far I expect we shall all be thoroughly unprepared. Though I do have to suspect that it will all be cleared up shortly (and that the 4th years exaggerate) as the proposal counts towards 10% of one of my modules this term...

So are you getting your diss. back with comments for improvements or as a finished piece of work having been given a final grade for it? Either way that's pretty intimidating... on a barely related note, how long is it? I was horrified to discover today how short an Eng. Lit. dissertation is :eek:
artorscience?
I'm at the thinking and panicking unofficially stage.

According to the 4th years in Archaeology they don't tell you anything and then give us the form to write our proposal on with a week to go before the end of term, and the deadline. Which is friendly. And given that they have outright refused to talk to us about anything to do with dissertations on numerous occasions thus far I expect we shall all be thoroughly unprepared. Though I do have to suspect that it will all be cleared up shortly (and that the 4th years exaggerate) as the proposal counts towards 10% of one of my modules this term...

So are you getting your diss. back with comments for improvements or as a finished piece of work having been given a final grade for it? Either way that's pretty intimidating... on a barely related note, how long is it? I was horrified to discover today how short an Eng. Lit. dissertation is

Sounds pretty much like how my course works - they give you zero information and leave you to fend for yourself.... fun times for all!! :smile: If you're not submitting it in semester one of fourth year then you don't need to start worrying until christmas of fourth year :smile:

Nah, I'm getting it back as in I submitted it back in November and this is it back done, dusted and commented on all over my lovely binding! Final improvements happened in October :smile: It was just over 14,000 words - it had to be between 10,000 and 15,000. How long will yours be? is it going to be in arch or Celtic?

English lit is only 5000, I thought that was a bit ridiculous when I found out too!! Tis really odd at the moment as my friends are all like "oh my god, only 36 days until dissertation hand in!!" and I'm like, I had my hand in over 2 months ago now... :biggrin:
Reply 272
Just got an e-mail to say my exam results aren't coming out until late February!
oxymoronic
If you're not submitting it in semester one of fourth year then you don't need to start worrying until christmas of fourth year

At yet it has been a constant pressure since the beginning of this year. Probably partly to do with the lack of information. And I really hope I've got further than everyone I know has by this time next year so that I'm not having to produce thousands of words a week.

I'm doing it in Archaeology (which I'm not too happy about, but I was basically only allowed to do joint honours on the condition that it is which noone has explained, but it'll be as interdisciplinary as possible). Ours have to be around 12 000... so a fairly similar range to yours if you take into account the standard ±10% rule.

I guess your deadline's nice now you've got it out the way, but you've got a whole term of learning and opinion gathering that you miss out on adding into the mix. At the moment the people I know have either just started writing or are putting off starting and don't seem to have arguments, I think most people have end of teaching deadlines, but it all seems so close (in a distant sort of way).
Reply 274
got 42% in my psychology coursework... feeling reeeeeally disheartened :frown:
Jillee
got 42% in my psychology coursework... feeling reeeeeally disheartened :frown:

thats a pass though which is all that matters :smile:

i failed my coursework in second year for one of my courses then managed to get 65 in the end, so you'll work it out! how much is the coursework bit worth? :smile:

are they having a marking/feedback session so you can get any information about where it could have been improved?
Reply 276
oxymoronic
thats a pass though which is all that matters :smile:

i failed my coursework in second year for one of my courses then managed to get 65 in the end, so you'll work it out! how much is the coursework bit worth? :smile:

are they having a marking/feedback session so you can get any information about where it could have been improved?

its worth 15% of my final year 2 grade which is a bit scary :frown: and I haven't heard of any such session and even my tutor has changed since semester 1 :mad:

it is a pass but psychology want 50% for admission to year 3 so :o: going to have to work super-hard this semester :s-smilie:
Jillee
its worth 15% of my final year 2 grade which is a bit scary :frown: and I haven't heard of any such session and even my tutor has changed since semester 1

it is a pass but psychology want 50% for admission to year 3 so going to have to work super-hard this semester :s-smilie:

You'll get 50% easily enough :smile: what did you get in your exam? I have some friends doing psych in second year (maybe you're one of them!) and they were getting excited about their grades coming out on myed last night.

Most courses want 50% to go into 3rd year, but you'll do it. If its only 15% of one semester that means its 7.5% in the year as a whole which is nothing at all when you look at it that way.

Perhaps they'll let you know about seeing the work in one of your lectures? or email the course secertary as they seem to be fairly on the ball with knowing what is happening when for things.
Reply 278
oxymoronic
You'll get 50% easily enough :smile: what did you get in your exam? I have some friends doing psych in second year (maybe you're one of them!) and they were getting excited about their grades coming out on myed last night.

Most courses want 50% to go into 3rd year, but you'll do it. If its only 15% of one semester that means its 7.5% in the year as a whole which is nothing at all when you look at it that way.

Perhaps they'll let you know about seeing the work in one of your lectures? or email the course secertary as they seem to be fairly on the ball with knowing what is happening when for things.

its 15% of the year so not that much but was just really disheartened by it! think I know where I slipped up though so that's positive looking back on it :smile:

and yes maybe I am one of them hehe, I know most my year it's got so small! december exam results aren't out yet - they've said by the end of week 7 we should get them :smile:
Jillee
its 15% of the year so not that much but was just really disheartened by it! think I know where I slipped up though so that's positive looking back on it :smile:

and yes maybe I am one of them hehe, I know most my year it's got so small! december exam results aren't out yet - they've said by the end of week 7 we should get them :smile:

yeah... its natural to get disheartened by things not going well but try not to get too upset by it, its not the end of the world and as long as you know where the mistakes were you can ensure it doesn't happen again another time when its "more" important in the grand scheme of things, such as next year.

what came out last night then? was it just the coursework? as the people I was with ran off to check myed after getting a text from someone else and came back saying their full semester one marks were online :s-smilie: i won't tell you who i know but lets just say i know a lot of second year psychology students, hehe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending