The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

nearlyheadlessian
They weren't when I moved from 1st to 2nd year - I knew absolutely nothing about available options, how to go about signing up, how to rematriculate, or anything else. Consider yourself lucky (but remain cynical - they'll probably have lost everyone's choices by September).
Same. (not DELC). Remember you'll need 120 credits, especially important to bear in mind if you're only selecting courses for your main subject and need to sign up separately for outside courses -something I only found out when 2nd year started.

Secondly, last year I signed up for 4 courses in April. Came back in September to be told 2 were cancelled so picked 2 replacements and went in first thing the next morning to sign up. Just as I turn up they cancel one of the replacement choices - so I have to pick another. Then in December, they cancelled one of my Semester 2 courses. By this stage there were only 2 or 3 courses left to chose from. 4 out of 8 cancelled altogether.

piss up, organise, brewery, Couldn't, in.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
Just read the latest "I got rejected from Edinburgh because I'm English rather than because I'm not good enough" thread.... love some of the arguments happening there. Can't be bothered replying though as I'm sick of it and people are just gonna believe what they want to believe as long as it makes them feel better about the world :smile:

Final two days EVER of university...... yeaaaaaaaaah :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

the article in the student summed it up pretty neatly i thought. particularly the quote where they were like "we hardly discriminate against English when 49% of the student population is from south of the border"

also, congrats on finishing lectures. i too, have enjoyed the trek to lectures for the last time.
latentcorpse
the article in the student summed it up pretty neatly i thought. particularly the quote where they were like "we hardly discriminate against English when 49% of the student population is from south of the border"

I particularly enjoyed the following:

"EUSA President Thomas Graham told The Student that the students’ association is completely behind the University’s with regards to admissions, saying that Cairns “needs to get over himself”."
The GS library is utterely crazy atm :frown:

Lots of the 4th year linguists I know have missed finals due to being in their respective language countries to get into the language frame of mind before their exams.... then Iceland exploded and they couldn't get back.
Reply 384
oxymoronic
The GS library is utterely crazy atm :frown:

I was in there at 12ish, it was horrible. Literally couldn't get a seat :/
I would have thought that it would be quieter now though.
Static.
I was in there at 12ish, it was horrible. Literally couldn't get a seat :/
I would have thought that it would be quieter now though.

You need to be there before 9am :p:

I've been in everyday for the last 2 and a half weeks and you need to be there before 9 to have any chance of getting anywhere. By 9:30 its full. Then people set themselves up for the day, so if you can't get in before then theres little point coming until after 5ish as then people start going home who got there early. Last week it wasn't too bad as exams hadn't started so it was mostly the later years in there but it seems like all the 1st years are back into action now. I think History of Art 1b has an exam soon as I've sat next to someone revising for it everyday for the past 4 days.... I keep wanting to tell them to go home as its not worth doing work in 1st year :smile:
Reply 386
oxymoronic
I keep wanting to tell them to go home as its not worth doing work in 1st year :smile:

I'll keep telling myself that every time I worry about my lack of revision, ha. :smile:
Reply 387
Anyone know when exam results come out? And how do you find them out? Do they just come up on myed in the normal way?
morfin
Anyone know when exam results come out? And how do you find them out? Do they just come up on myed in the normal way?

Don't expect anything until the middle of June if not later. Results are uploaded to the "My Studies" channel on MyEd, so you'll need to check back periodically.
morfin
Anyone know when exam results come out? And how do you
find them out? Do they just come up on myed in the normal way?

Yeah I'm more important than you so I get mine first :p:

Final years are the first few days in June... not that the university bothers to tell us or anything.... clearly its not an overly important/significant day in our lives at all :rolleyes:
>.< Two more exams left. Sooooo ready to be done.

:/ Somehow I've been roped into teaching my girlfriend and another friend fourier series tomorrow instead of revising for my Monday exam.
Reply 391
oxymoronic
Yeah I'm more important than you so I get mine first :p:

Final years are the first few days in June... not that the university bothers to tell us or anything.... clearly its not an overly important/significant day in our lives at all :rolleyes:

i'm sure you will do fine!
Rainfaery
>.< Two more exams left. Sooooo ready to be done.

:/ Somehow I've been roped into teaching my girlfriend and another friend fourier series tomorrow instead of revising for my Monday exam.

I'd love to pretend I knew what fourier series is but sadly I do not although I'm sure it won't be as helpful to you as revising for the exam would be (unless this is in the exam?!)

You've had a crazy amount of exams! My flatmate does maths, she had 10 exams... that's almost as many as I've had in my entire time at Edinburgh.

morfin
x

How are your exams going? I think you said you had a German one you're worried about? :smile:
Reply 393
I'm finished exams :biggrin: had two in one day and then one on my birthday... lovely timetabling but fear I have a resit in august :frown:
oxymoronic
I'd love to pretend I knew what fourier series is but sadly I do not although I'm sure it won't be as helpful to you as revising for the exam would be (unless this is in the exam?!)

You've had a crazy amount of exams! My flatmate does maths, she had 10 exams... that's almost as many as I've had in my entire time at Edinburgh.

I didn't mind teaching the fourier series, cos they'll bein my Wednesday exam, it's just that they're not at all related to my Monday exam and so I was panicking :s-smilie:

And yeah, I have. XD Because I took 70 credits both semesters, I've had extra exams, leading up to my 7 during this term. In third year, I think I'll have close to 10 exams again; lots of the upper year maths exams only exam in the spring, and we take loads of 10 credit courses.

How have you had only around 10 exams?! So jealous. ;.;

:biggrin: Come Wednesday at half 4, I shall be in Teviot celebrating the end of my first year of uni!
Rainfaery

How have you had only around 10 exams?!

There's nothing good about having a limited number of exams, it really does pile on the pressure :frown:
nearlyheadlessian
There's nothing good about having a limited number of exams, it really does pile on the pressure :frown:

I suppose that's fair enough. :frown: I guess it's a tradeoff between the pressure of having a bunch of exams during the exam period, and the pressure of knowing so much rides on only a few exams.

Graaaaaaarg gonna fail my exam tomorrow. :frown:
Rainfaery
How have you had only around 10 exams?! So jealous.

I do an arts degree and I did a year abroad which meant no exams in 3rd year... and I've only had 1 exam each semester in 4th year.... but I did 5 in 1st year (6 counting speaking exams) and then 5 in 2nd year. So I've done 12 exams in my entire time at uni :smile:

Its not fun when everything accounts for so much though - you try having your dissertation being 33% of your entire degree classification!

:biggrin: Come Wednesday at half 4, I shall be in Teviot celebrating the end of my first year of uni!

Cool :smile: are you up here all summer? I'll be there about 12 on Tuesday celebrating the end and the start of real life :biggrin:

Jillee
x

Well done :smile: what are your plans for the summer? this is what you get for being an early summer born baby.... you want to be born earlier in the year then you'd never get exams :biggrin:
oxymoronic
I do an arts degree and I did a year abroad which meant no exams in 3rd year... and I've only had 1 exam each semester in 4th year.... but I did 5 in 1st year (6 counting speaking exams) and then 5 in 2nd year. So I've done 12 exams in my entire time at uni :smile:

Its not fun when everything accounts for so much though - you try having your dissertation being 33% of your entire degree classification!

Cool :smile: are you up here all summer? I'll be there about 12 on Tuesday celebrating the end and the start of real life :biggrin:

Yeah, I remembered about the whole year abroad thing and reckoned that had something to do with it. As much as I hate having so many exam, it's nice that the pressure is spread out a bit. And, in my first year, I'll have had 12 exams. :p: As many as your entire uni career.

Yup, I shall be here all summer, other than next week; I'm off interrailing for a week with my girlfriend. :biggrin: Other than that, I'm just hoping to get some kind of job in Edinburgh to make some money.
Reply 399
Deferred all my final year exams until next year, which gives me kind of mixed feelings - no way I could've done them all this semester, but would really rather be graduating with the rest of my course and just be done with the whole thing. Still not stopping me going off to celebrate with them, off to a cottage for 5 days :smile: Bit weird to be the only one not finishing, and kind of boring lately while everyone's been locked away revising, but should be a fun week anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending