The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
artorscience?
Well done. Your post clearly sparked a chain reaction leading to the magical appearance of results.

I'm sure you are right...!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Has anyone had any results back from the maths department yet? :frown:
artorscience?
How do you get through so many DoS's?

In Archaeology, one member of staff is DoS to all undergraduate students so unless I get rid of Archaeology altogether he's the man. It's insane, I don't know whether he lost a bet and has to be perma-DoS or whether he enjoys it, but it looks like he's terribly confused about having students come to his office when they do...

I had one in freshers week when I started. Then in semester two of first year I got a new one because the first one went on research leave.
Then I had that one for semester two of first year and semester one of second year. Then that one went on research leave or something. So then I got a new one for semester two of second year, who I sorted out my year abroad stuff with. By this point we're on DOS number 3.

Then because I changed my degree, I changed schools, so then got a new DOS at the start of 3rd year. Then, I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying that one had gone away and I now had a new one for semester two of third year. Making five, of which I met my one in freshers week once, and then my one in semester two of second year once when I was sorting out year abroad stuff.

Its stupid, your DOS is in charge of writing your reference for post grad and whatever you want to do once you graduate, yet you go through them like god knows what and as you never meet them how are they supposed to even comment about what you're like as a person?! I'm not isolated, the majority of my friends are on at least their 3rd DOS since starting, so one per academic year.

I'd stick with archeology at least they know you!
oxymoronic
I'd stick with archeology at least they know you!

Yep, that's one big positive going for it. :smile:
Reply 44
Finally....! 75 and 85 in my two maths modules, not too shabby :biggrin:
FTC199
nice! mine are coming on monday apparently :o:

think i have done alright but want to know if i completely messed up the question on the menopause and culture

Will you get to see your paper then?
Thats pretty cool... you medics don't know how lucky you have it!
Reply 46
I've seen all of my papers for maths and chem! For chem we had a 2 hr class exam review session where each of the 6 lectures for the module went through the answers to their part of the exam, it was really useful! :biggrin:
Reply 47
oxymoronic
Will you get to see your paper then?
Thats pretty cool... you medics don't know how lucky you have it!

well we get an optional feedback session (optional because they timetabled it for wednesday afternoon when some people have sport and some others have project meetings) were they go over the paper but im not sure if we get it back or not. i know what i wrote for that question so i just want to know if it was completely off topic or not
ooze
I've seen all of my papers for maths and chem! For chem we had a 2 hr class exam review session where each of the 6 lectures for the module went through the answers to their part of the exam, it was really useful! :biggrin:

That does sound useful. I suppose it's more difficult for arts/humanities as there are multiple correct answers but I'd like to have a proper chance to go over some of my exams.

On the occasions where viewing papers has been offered it's along the lines of "in the highest room in the tallest tower... for one hour only."

On the bright side I've got a result back. 60 in Celtic Lit, I was hoping for 65, but I suppose it makes sense that the exam papers are harder/ marked harsher in second year, perhaps. Not bad for an outside course/not bad for a literature course... :p:
artorscience?

On the occasions where viewing papers has been offered it's along the lines of "in the highest room in the tallest tower... for one hour only."

Ha ha yeah... last year SPS said we could view them for a 2 hour period one day in some random room. But for 1 of those hours we had a lecture for that subject, so no one could really go anyway!

I'd love to see my papers. Its stupid. I'm in 3rd year so it all counts now but how they expect you to improve from just seeing a number written on a bit of paper is beyond me. I am transfering to Chemistry. Or some other equally fantastic science subject.

Well done on your result, 60 is fine, its a good mark so don't worry about it.
I got results for two of my exams today. Got a B in Dynamic Cell, really excited about that one as the course material was definitely the hardest out of all my courses in uni so far. And just about passed Evolution in Action. Should've maybe started to revise earlier than 8 hours before the exam. :rolleyes:
I've had results for Linguistics (65) and English Language (70) though still waiting for Social Anthropology.
bruisepristine
I've had results for Linguistics (65) and English Language (70) though still waiting for Social Anthropology.

wow you are me but 2 years younger.
65 for first semester of Ling is really good given their love of multiple choice! well done!
anthropology will probably surface around the day you graduate.
well, normally around essay hand in time, so week 7 or something.
oxymoronic
wow you are me but 2 years younger.
65 for first semester of Ling is really good given their love of multiple choice! well done!
anthropology will probably surface around the day you graduate.
well, normally around essay hand in time, so week 7 or something.

thanks :smile: I'm really enjoying Ling at the moment. Can't say I'm that taken by social anth though. I don't think I want to do it next year, but that'd mean finding something else to do instead!
bruisepristine
thanks :smile: I'm really enjoying Ling at the moment. Can't say I'm that taken by social anth though. I don't think I want to do it next year, but that'd mean finding something else to do instead!

Yeah, they totally revamped the course after I did it in first year. It had been the same course for years, and then for the first years in 2007 they totally changed it. Most people I've spoken to who have done it in the last 2 years haven't really been taken with it at all, and if they were doing it as their degree have changed their course. I really enjoyed it, god knows why they changed it!

Do you still have Myriam Meyerhoff (?) in semester two in first year? Doing sociolinguistics? That woman is amazing, I really really rate her. She is lovely and a good lecturer. She teaches in semester two of second year as well.
Reply 55
it should be results day for me today (came on to see if they were up yet or not because i have a tutorial most of the rest of the year dont between our lectures)

knowing MVM it is probably tomorrow because we have all been saying it is today!
I think the important news is that it really is snowing. Do you think it's a good enough excuse not to go to class?
bruisepristine
Can't say I'm that taken by social anth though. I don't think I want to do it next year, but that'd mean finding something else to do instead!

When I did Anth. last year I really wasn't taken with the first semester (well the only part that anyone I spoke to enjoyed was watching/listening to Dimitri). Anth 1B on the other hand was more interesting, had a bit of substance and didn't revolve around one lecturer's captivating way of speaking. If both semesters had been like semester 2 I would still be taking it I think.

And finding something else to do isn't hard, and it feels much more open when it comes to picking in second year.
oxymoronic
Yeah, they totally revamped the course after I did it in first year. It had been the same course for years, and then for the first years in 2007 they totally changed it. Most people I've spoken to who have done it in the last 2 years haven't really been taken with it at all, and if they were doing it as their degree have changed their course. I really enjoyed it, god knows why they changed it!

Do you still have Myriam Meyerhoff (?) in semester two in first year? Doing sociolinguistics? That woman is amazing, I really really rate her. She is lovely and a good lecturer. She teaches in semester two of second year as well.

Yeah, we have her at the moment. Only had a couple of lectures with her, but I'm enjoying them so far :smile:

I've heard that anthropology has changed a great deal, we also have totally different lecturers. I just checked webCT, there's fairly detailed feedback from the exam but we've not had any marks yet!
nearlyheadlessian
I think the important news is that it really is snowing. Do you think it's a good enough excuse not to go to class?

I'm sure there are worse excuses for not going. I went up Arthur's Seat a couple of hours ago, and it was really pretty! :biggrin: Everyone should definitely get out while it's still actual snow instead of a big pile of slosh, like it was the last time! Some guys were snow boarding on Arthur's Seat, which I thought was maybe just a bit too desperate as there isn't really that much snow. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply