The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

oxymoronic
Cheers... I don't really know what the rectorial elections are for, should probably do some research!

One of the most important positions in the university hierarchy :wink: Edinburgh Rectorial Election.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 81
I just voted, anyone else voted yet? Does seem a bit pointless using STV now with 2 candidates..
Sianeh
I just voted, anyone else voted yet? Does seem a bit pointless using STV now with 2 candidates..

Yes I voted this morning. STV amused me greatly :smile:
Double post I know, but, it's snowed again! This place is insane!!
I'm getting tired of the snow, to be honest. It's just that it always turns into slush, and everything gets wet. And it makes going kayaking insanely cold, and always leaves me wondering why on earth I didn't take up a sport that wouldn't involve getting cold and wet in subzero temperatures for hours. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...that was a bit negative... It is really pretty though. :smile:
I totally know what you mean about snow, once you've got past the oooh this is pretty and unusual stage, the UK just goes to a grinding halt as no one has any idea how to actually live with the snow on a day to day basis!

I really really hope there is snow when I return... fancy keeping it for another week and a half for me?
oxymoronic
I totally know what you mean about snow, once you've got past the oooh this is pretty and unusual stage, the UK just goes to a grinding halt as no one has any idea how to actually live with the snow on a day to day basis!

I really really hope there is snow when I return... fancy keeping it for another week and a half for me?

Well, it's raining again so I can't promise anything. The hills outside the city have been white for quite a while though so you will most likely see snow - it'll just be in the distance. Aah, I walked past the golf course next to KB today, and the untouched snow on it's small hills would be perfect for sledging. It's just the fact that it's a bloody golf course... :no:

Just out of curiosity by the way, how're you finding life in Finland?
Reply 87
i was lucky, driving test (passed :biggrin:) was yesterday and the snow came today!

i went back home (only other side of the city) and the snow from sunday night was still there! wierd stuff
Reply 88
FTC199
i was lucky, driving test (passed :biggrin:) was yesterday and the snow came today!

i went back home (only other side of the city) and the snow from sunday night was still there! wierd stuff

Congrats on passing! The snow can be weird, I picked up a friend yesterday the other side of Livingston and the snow was still pristine, back up here its all gone/turned to ice.
sjames06
Congrats on passing! The snow can be weird, I picked up a friend yesterday the other side of Livingston and the snow was still pristine, back up here its all gone/turned to ice.

I was in Stirling and Alloa yesterday - snow all over the place. But I reckon it was a good 3 or 4 degrees colder there than in Edinburgh.
Reply 90
nearlyheadlessian
I was in Stirling and Alloa yesterday - snow all over the place. But I reckon it was a good 3 or 4 degrees colder there than in Edinburgh.

Personally, the snow is getting a bit boring :p: It turns to slush and ice which tries to kill me :woo: :p:

Was down by the union canal yesterday.. a good inch of ice on top, was quite weird seeing it.
elisabethbridge
Just out of curiosity by the way, how're you finding life in Finland?

It's great, we're all finding it somewhat comical that the UK has fallen apart over the last few weeks because of all the snow. Finland is amazing in snow, the trams run, trains leave and people just live their lives normally. It was strange in November and December as it was so dark and miserable all of the time, but now we've got perminant snow it seems its lighter now which is great. The education system is incredibly different to Edinburgh its so strange, the teachers actually talk to you here and nothing is done annoymously! It's much more relaxed.
oxymoronic
It's great, we're all finding it somewhat comical that the UK has fallen apart over the last few weeks because of all the snow. Finland is amazing in snow, the trams run, trains leave and people just live their lives normally. It was strange in November and December as it was so dark and miserable all of the time, but now we've got perminant snow it seems its lighter now which is great. The education system is incredibly different to Edinburgh its so strange, the teachers actually talk to you here and nothing is done annoymously! It's much more relaxed.

I'm glad you're liking it. And yeah, I don't miss Finland that much, but when things stop working because of a bit of snow fall, I do have to bite my lip to not start whinging how some things are just wrong here. :tongue: It's just the matter of what you're used to, I guess.
Reply 93
Iain Macwhirter won. :smile:
Apart from the idea that KB needs a library (we have 4, why do we need another one) his ideas were quite good - there are several overseas students on my course that are my friends, hence the ID card thing kinda has no use really...
Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
Apart from the idea that KB needs a library (we have 4, why do we need another one) his ideas were quite good - there are several overseas students on my course that are my friends, hence the ID card thing kinda has no use really...

Maybe the idea is to build one library in KB that'd combine all four that we have at the moment. Although I don't really see much point in that either because it works fine the way it's now. Well, at least the biology library is good, in my opinion, don't know about the others.
elisabethbridge
Maybe the idea is to build one library in KB that'd combine all four that we have at the moment. Although I don't really see much point in that either because it works fine the way it's now. Well, at least the biology library is good, in my opinion, don't know about the others.

If that's the case, where would they put it? - and what would happen to the current ones? tis a really stupid idea now I look at it but meh, the rest of his proposals were sound
Reply 97
Those of you doing language degrees, when did you have to start organising your year abroad? And what were your first year examinations like?
Absurd
Those of you doing language degrees, when did you have to start organising your year abroad? And what were your first year examinations like?

My year abroad still isn't organised. Although I think my department is an exception, most have sorted more out by now. 1st year exams were moderately easy... Look at some past papers to get an idea.
Reply 99
nearlyheadlessian
My year abroad still isn't organised. Although I think my department is an exception, most have sorted more out by now. 1st year exams were moderately easy... Look at some past papers to get an idea.

The department hasn't told us very much about it until today. There is one paper divided into two sections, the first a grammar thing and the second a literature essay. Is that what yours was like? It just seems too, dare I say it, easy, and too little work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending