The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nearlyheadlessian

Went to graduation last week which was actually fun (I mean not really the ceremony, but the day itself was nice). I'm starting to feel poor. The potential cost of next year is scary...

The ceremony is boring although I did quite like the prancing around in the robes afterwards... although my course was nice and clapped for each other unlike some of the other degrees we were graduating with.... it was so boring that I've decided to do it all again on Monday to celebrate my new postgraduate status.

Well done fellow graduate :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Went to graduation last week which was actually fun (I mean not really the ceremony, but the day itself was nice). I'm starting to feel poor. The potential cost of next year is scary...

Oooh, how does it feel to be a uni graduate? I'm terrified to think I'll be one in a year.

Have you decided what you're going to do next year for sure?
Original post by Rainfaery
Oooh, how does it feel to be a uni graduate? I'm terrified to think I'll be one in a year.

Have you decided what you're going to do next year for sure?

Not much different to how it felt to not be a graduate :tongue: I can't really tell many people the result I got because it illicits the wrong kind of response from many...

I'm going to do a masters in Translation (mainly cos I've got nothing else lined up) either in Edinburgh or Manchester. Edinburgh I have a job lined up as an RA (shudder) and I'm waiting to hear back from Manchester on some funding (but I'd be living at home - so I'm not sure which is worse - being an RA or living at home...)
Reply 1363
I'm not sure which is worse - being an RA or living at home...

this from experience. :s-smilie:
Reply 1364
yeh, living at home would be worse than being an RA

dont RA's pay like 1/4 price rent?
Original post by Lu-Tze
yeh, living at home would be worse than being an RA

dont RA's pay like 1/4 price rent?

Well yeah, but we have to do work. And I've been allocated a position in John Burnett :eek: So a 75% discount only goes so far...
Reply 1366
i have no idea where John Burnett is lol

but yeh, you do have to be on call a few evenings a week :s-smilie:
Reply 1367
For the first time all year I'm actually REALLY excited to be going back to Edinburgh.
Had a not so perfect time in Halls last year, so I'm bursting to move into our flat in Marchmont this coming Tuesday.

Roll on 2nd year! :biggrin:
Original post by Lu-Tze
i have no idea where John Burnett is lol

but yeh, you do have to be on call a few evenings a week :s-smilie:

Well hopefully no more than once or twice a week. But I'm not generally disposed to be helpful to people.

John Burnett: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/postgraduate/catered-prices/catered-prices
Well hopefully no more than once or twice a week. But I'm not generally disposed to be helpful to people.

John Burnett: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/postgraduate/catered-prices/catered-prices

Dear lord, those prices are ridiculous.
Reply 1370
What's Innovative Learning Week?
Original post by Kelz_26

No one's too sure. It is NOT for ordinary teaching. Actual course content may NOT be taught during it. The teaching offered must be innovative. Consequently, the learning might be innovative. Probably, it's a waste of time - it's new and they've simply extended semester 2 by a week in order to facilitate it.
Reply 1372
Original post by Kelz_26

I think it's basically a gimmick. Or a response to EUSA demands to provide more contact time. I know one of my subjects (English Lit) were thinking of doing 'alternative lectures' or workshops or something. It seems quite up in the air though.
Original post by Static.
I think it's basically a gimmick. Or a response to EUSA demands to provide more contact time. I know one of my subjects (English Lit) were thinking of doing 'alternative lectures' or workshops or something. It seems quite up in the air though.

I was at the DELC plenrary meeting where they discussed it. Suffice to say that when someone suggested "film festival", they were all rather pleased with themselves. A whole week to catch up on marking and do research without having to teach!
The guy posting in the Edinburgh reputation thread is a total idiot :/
Reply 1375

Nobody will ever match 'Bannanas02' (or something like that). Y'know, the guy saying all people from state schools were ill-mannered oiks who shouldn't be allowed to go to university.
Original post by NeoNerd
Nobody will ever match 'Bannanas02' (or something like that). Y'know, the guy saying all people from state schools were ill-mannered oiks who shouldn't be allowed to go to university.

Good times :smile:
Reply 1377
Good times :smile:

The meme didn't exist back then, but it just struck me how appropriate it was -

I think he's just a kind of guy who wants attention on this site, positive or negative...
PhD applications suck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending