The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Just wondering, is there a Lush cosmetics store in Edinburgh?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
sophie192
Just wondering, is there a Lush cosmetics store in Edinburgh?

Yep, on Princes Street.
Reply 122
nearlyheadlessian
Yep, on Princes Street.

Oh, thanks. I'm glad. I really love that store. Lol
Hey,

This is for the people who are going to be 3rd/4th years next year... if you're in SPS that's even better:

Have you been sent your module options for next year yet? Any idea when deadlines are for sending back the forms... as I remember last year we got sent the choices in March and they were due back in Mid April time which is now... but I've not recieved anything on my email about choosing stuff for next year. I've sent my DOS an email but he tends to reply a month or so later which isn't too helpful... so just wondering what the general thing is at the moment? Are people doing module stuff now or is it later this year as I think exams etc are starting later?

I need to start my dissertation, I keep getting emails but I'd rather just hide for a wee while longer.
Reply 124
Hi there. Am staying at a bed and breakfast guest house on Mayfield Rd which is about a 10 min walk to and from the King's buildings, and I was wondering what bus(es) go to and from the city and where to get them from? Also, what time do they generally operate at? And should I get the bus from Mayfield Rd or somewhere near the King's building? Thanks.
WoWZa
Hi there. Am staying at a bed and breakfast guest house on Mayfield Rd which is about a 10 min walk to and from the King's buildings, and I was wondering what bus(es) go to and from the city and where to get them from? Also, what time do they generally operate at? And should I get the bus from Mayfield Rd or somewhere near the King's building? Thanks.

You can get the 67 or the 42 into the city. It'll take about 15 minutes. If you were wanting to walk it'd take you 45 minutes or so to get to Princes Street from there, in what is essentially a straight line following the road.

http://www.lothianbuses.com/r42.php
http://www.lothianbuses.com/r67.php

You should be able to get a bus from fairly close to where you're staying as the busses drive down Mayfield Road, theres no need to go to KB. On the timetable, arrive between the times for Buccleuch Terrace and Cameron Toll, which gives a 10 min distance, although I'd say it'd be around 2 mins drive from CT as it's a lot closer.... if you get what I mean by that!!
Reply 126
oxymoronic
You can get the 67 or the 42 into the city. It'll take about 15 minutes. If you were wanting to walk it'd take you 45 minutes or so to get to Princes Street from there, in what is essentially a straight line following the road.

http://www.lothianbuses.com/r42.php
http://www.lothianbuses.com/r67.php

You should be able to get a bus from fairly close to where you're staying as the busses drive down Mayfield Road, theres no need to go to KB. On the timetable, arrive between the times for Buccleuch Terrace and Cameron Toll, which gives a 10 min distance, although I'd say it'd be around 2 mins drive from CT as it's a lot closer.... if you get what I mean by that!!

Thanks. I might just get a taxi anyways. Am also not sure yet where abouts in the City a particular restaurant will be. But if you are offering personal tours then let me know. Am joking by the way. That wasn't really a good one was it? =/
WoWZa
Thanks. I might just get a taxi anyways. Am also not sure yet where abouts in the City a particular restaurant will be :tongue: But if you are offering personal tours then let me know. Am joking by the way :tongue: That wasn't really a good one was it? =/

Which resturant are you going to?
The Edinburgh people on here will probs be able to help even if we've never heard of it if you give the location... Taxi's are fairly expensive here, I'd say from there until Princes Street area you'd be looking at the best part of a tenner. I pay around £6 from Waverley and I probably only live just over half way. I'd show you around if I could but unless you're planning on staying there until July it might not work out given that I haven't stepped foot in the UK since Chritmas! :smile:
Reply 128
oxymoronic
Which resturant are you going to?
The Edinburgh people on here will probs be able to help even if we've never heard of it if you give the location... Taxi's are fairly expensive here, I'd say from there until Princes Street area you'd be looking at the best part of a tenner. I pay around £6 from Waverley and I probably only live just over half way. I'd show you around if I could but unless you're planning on staying there until July it might not work out given that I haven't stepped foot in the UK since Chritmas! :smile:

It hasn't been decided yet but am pretty sure it's going to be in the city centre. And yeah that's about what I paid from Waverley Bridge. And thanks for the offer anyway hehe.
I'm annoyed!!!

Just found out from my current DoS that he is going on sabatical leave so I'm going to get yet another one for this next semester.... how are they supposed to write references for post grad applications when they've never even met us??? This is going to be my 6th DoS and I've been at Edinburgh for 7 semesters counting the next one. I emailed to ask about meeting him so he can actually find out about things to write in my reference and he was like you've got another one this semester, contact them.... I hate the fact that my future is in the hands of people who haven't even met me.
oxymoronic
DoS annoyance

So, who's your DoS? My DoS for this year is this chap who looks pretty cool. Unfortunately he doesn't have an awful lot to do with Scandinavian Studies. Rather like last year's who was a French tutor. And the French professor from the year before. *sigh*
I dunno if this is the right place to post this, but say an event at Fresher's event starts at 9pm, what time is the latest time I'll be allowed in?
0_YouKnowIt
I dunno if this is the right place to post this, but say an event at Fresher's event starts at 9pm, what time is the latest time I'll be allowed in?

Not really the right place, we tend to avoid freshers talk here.

Details about when you get into events can be found on the EUSA website.
nearlyheadlessian
So, who's your DoS? My DoS for this year is this chap who looks pretty cool. Unfortunately he doesn't have an awful lot to do with Scandinavian Studies. Rather like last year's who was a French tutor. And the French professor from the year before. *sigh*

No idea at all, just had the email from my old DoS saying that I've got some new person. Really not happy, this person will determine whether or not I get into my post grad courses and they've never even met me or had me as "theirs" for more than a semester at a time. I'm writing my PSs at the moment and it's just such a mess.

At least this year you've got the year abroad people though no? Lesley in the erasmus office is amazing and answers my emails so quickly... it's a shame my DoS can't do the same! Whats the deal with Ed whilst you're away? As they said to me that I essentially wasn't an Edinburgh student this last year... but maybe it's different if it is a compulsary year abroad?
oxymoronic
No idea at all, just had the email from my old DoS saying that I've got some new person. Really not happy, this person will determine whether or not I get into my post grad courses and they've never even met me or had me as "theirs" for more than a semester at a time. I'm writing my PSs at the moment and it's just such a mess.

At least this year you've got the year abroad people though no? Lesley in the erasmus office is amazing and answers my emails so quickly... it's a shame my DoS can't do the same! Whats the deal with Ed whilst you're away? As they said to me that I essentially wasn't an Edinburgh student this last year... but maybe it's different if it is a compulsary year abroad?

Well you should be able to check who your DoS is through MyEd, that's how I found out. I didn't meet my DoS last year. I don't think you're in a hugely different situation to many others with regard to references etc, so probably not worth worrying too much. Besides, if Edinburgh's anything to by, a willingness to pay the fees generally helps your application in the first place!

No idea if I'm meant to speak to my DoS at any point. I run anything by my tutor in the Scandinavian department and any admin questions about erasmus are directed at Lesley Balharry.
I've just sent off a string of emails to change course... Nothing like leaving decision making to the last minute... :woo:

Now if it all clears I'll officially be a Celtic and Archaeology student. I really hope they don't find a technical difficulty at this stage...
nearlyheadlessian
Well you should be able to check who your DoS is through MyEd, that's how I found out. I didn't meet my DoS last year. I don't think you're in a hugely different situation to many others with regard to references etc, so probably not worth worrying too much. Besides, if Edinburgh's anything to by, a willingness to pay the fees generally helps your application in the first place!

No idea if I'm meant to speak to my DoS at any point. I run anything by my tutor in the Scandinavian department and any admin questions about erasmus are directed at Lesley Balharry.

True true true... nah, MyEd still says my old guy, so i guess i'll find out soon enough! I didn't really have anything to do with my DoS during my year abroad other than having to inform them that I wasn't in Edinburgh for the year when they sent me emails asking why I'd not signed up for anything. It all went through Lesley.

artorscience?

I've just sent off a string of emails to change course... Nothing like leaving decision making to the last minute...

Cool, they actually let you do that? I thought they were really strict about the March deadline. What were you doing before then? Single honours?
oxymoronic
Cool, they actually let you do that? I thought they were really strict about the March deadline. What were you doing before then? Single honours?

Single honours Archaeology. They don't seem to mind at all for me. Obviously it would be chaos if everyone was switching at this point in time...:p:
So, the clocks go back on Saturday night and we'll all be plunged into northern darkness. Anybody looking forward to it?
Its going to be light (and warm) in comparison to my winter last year so I'm not fussed! November was such a horrible, dark month - enjoy it! I think you're on about the same level as where I was living... it just never really got light, especially at the end of November, although it'll be heading that way anyway now there. Has it snowed yet? I'd assume so as you're not on the coast, our first snow was in the first week of November but it was threatening to do it for about a month before then.

Didn't actually know the clocks were going back though, I should pay more attention to life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending