The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EllieA
I'm studying abroad at Edinburgh for a semester and I missed lecture today due to illness and was wondering if I needed to email my professor or if I should just go to class tomorrow and apologize if she mentions it? It says to email your tutor if you miss tutorial, but it doesn't say anything about what to do if you miss lecture.

Hi Ellie. I moved your question to the Current Students Chat Thread as the thread you posted in is more intended for applicants. Personally, if it's a big course, I wouldn't bother informing the lecturer (especially if the lecturers vary). Obviously, if it's a much smaller group then you should definitely notify them.

We only call people 'professor' in Britain if they are actually Professors. *gripe over*

Where are you from and what are you studying?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
:biggrin: Just found out that I have a fully funded studentship from Bristol.
Original post by Rainfaery
:biggrin: Just found out that I have a fully funded studentship from Bristol.

Well done :smile:
Is it really bad that I still haven't got a clue what I'm doing for accommodation next year? Everyone seems to be sorted and they say that all the good places will be taken already. :K:
Original post by pink.panda.
Is it really bad that I still haven't got a clue what I'm doing for accommodation next year? Everyone seems to be sorted and they say that all the good places will be taken already. :K:

Really not. I found my place in June, and it's better than a lot of my friends'.

Absolutely not. I got mine sorted in April/May last year, for a September start. For somewhere starting in September, the landlords probably won't even have asked current tenants yet if they want to renew the lease - I know mine hasn't said anything to us yet.
Original post by daeonica
Absolutely not. I got mine sorted in April/May last year, for a September start. For somewhere starting in September, the landlords probably won't even have asked current tenants yet if they want to renew the lease - I know mine hasn't said anything to us yet.

Ours has. Agreed that it's still early though. I didn't really start to think about flats till March last year and ended up with a great place.

You're lucky to have gotten a September start -- they seem pretty rare... at least last year all I could find were leases starting in June. Paying 3 months rent for an empty flat sucks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pedrobear
Ours has. Agreed that it's still early though. I didn't really start to think about flats till March last year and ended up with a great place.

You're lucky to have gotten a September start -- they seem pretty rare... at least last year all I could find were leases starting in June. Paying 3 months rent for an empty flat sucks.

Can you not find someone to rent out your place during the summer? That's what I did last year. There are many who want to come just for summer work, the fringe etc.
Original post by Pedrobear
Paying 3 months rent for an empty flat sucks.

If my summer plans work out, I'll be doing that this summer. I'm hoping flatmates might know someone who wants somewhere to stay for at least some of the time.
Original post by lizfairy
Can you not find someone to rent out your place during the summer? That's what I did last year. There are many who want to come just for summer work, the fringe etc.

A lot of tenancy agreements prohibit subletting.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
A lot of tenancy agreements prohibit subletting.

Sure, you need to check with them first but it is often a possibility.
They do, but we had somebody living with us for four months while my other flatmate did a semester abroad and we were never found out (even though we had a flat inspection and she's a very girly female and he's male.) I maybe wouldn't do it with a total stranger, just in case, but friends of friends etc....

By the way, I'm not sure what's happening with my summer yet and when we're ending our lease but I'd potentially be up for subletting somebody's flat over summer if it doesn't work out in my current flat. :smile:
Original post by Emmie3303
:grin:
Me and my brother get 8 cans of coke every year and he drinks them all in a few days. Mine tend to last until February so I sell some of mine to him when he runs out :p:.

We leave messy piles of Christmas stuff in the living room until the tree get's taken away and then we have to move it :p:.

You get 8 cans of coke for xmas? lol - some sort of strange family tradition?

I applaud your business skills with that tactic though, simple supply and demand :tongue:

Oh no, you can't go messing up your parents house - not cool.
Original post by nessiehibs
You get 8 cans of coke for xmas? lol - some sort of strange family tradition?

I applaud your business skills with that tactic though, simple supply and demand :tongue:

Oh no, you can't go messing up your parents house - not cool.

Haha, yep :p:. It started about 5 years ago. I think my mam ran out of ideas and thought coke would be good! We get an orange every year too.

I've still got six cans sitting here. Demand is low this year though; my brother has discovered that Home Bargains sells coke really cheaply. I can't compete with their prices :sad:.

:grin:
Will the meals service at Pollock Halls be closed over the whole of the Easter break as it was at Christmas? If so, is it likely to be last meal breakfast on Saturday, 7th and then first meal dinner the Saturday before we re-start?
Original post by Primscot
Will the meals service at Pollock Halls be closed over the whole of the Easter break as it was at Christmas? If so, is it likely to be last meal breakfast on Saturday, 7th and then first meal dinner the Saturday before we re-start?

That's what it says in the latest edition of the inhouse 'magazine', so it's probably right.
Seems unfair that we still have to pay the full price during holidays when it's a room-only basis. :/
Seems unfair that we still have to pay the full price during holidays when it's a room-only basis. :/

Yup. Although if that's all you think is unfair about Pollock then you live in blissful ignorance :wink:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Yup. Although if that's all you think is unfair about Pollock then you live in blissful ignorance :wink:

Yes that's true.
Does anyone else just have a Facebook wall full of memes at the moment :p:?

Quick Reply

Latest