The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by star10159
Yes there is. I believe it's called the restricted section but you need an invisibility cloak to go there.

Please, the cloak is all well and good for muggles and squibs, but us real wizards use the Disillusionment Charm :smug:

:wizard:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
So that's what happens when people say they're going to revise...

Well you learn something new everyday.
Original post by froggerella
...Eye catching title.

I was recently talking to someone, and they insisted that there is a 'spot' on every university campus that is well known for students sneaking off to have sex in - between the stacks in the library, behind a stage in a concert hall, etc.

I'm not so sure. Obviously, there will be students sneaking off for a bit of a cheeky 'study break'... but is there anywhere around George Square or otherwise that is renowned for this?

And yes, I AM procrastinating. My dissertation hates me.

er, toilets?

Don't do it in open view, you'll scare the chinese kids.
I'm 6000 miles away from my girlfriend for Valentine's day and my birthday. :frown:
Original post by Rainfaery
I'm 6000 miles away from my girlfriend for Valentine's day and my birthday. :frown:

Oh :frown: I was annoyed that my boyfriend is going 400 miles away to watch a football match but that's much worse.
Where is she?

What's "Valentine's Day"? :wink: But sucko that she's not here for your birthday :frown: Got any special plans for tomorrow?
Original post by dothestrand
Oh :frown: I was annoyed that my boyfriend is going 400 miles away to watch a football match but that's much worse.
Where is she?

She's in California, where she goes to uni. :/ So, we're always really far apart, but it just sucks a lot more on my birthday (which is Valentine's day, so it's a double-whammy).

Original post by nearlyheadlessian
What's "Valentine's Day"? :wink: But sucko that she's not here for your birthday :frown: Got any special plans for tomorrow?

I like to call it Valenmary's day, cos I'm clearly just that cool. :biggrin: And no, not really. Just skyping with my girlfriend in the evening. I'm going to see the Muppet movie with friends on Wednesday as a celebration though. :smile:
I like to call it Valenmary's day, cos I'm clearly just that cool. :biggrin: And no, not really. Just skyping with my girlfriend in the evening. I'm going to see the Muppet movie with friends on Wednesday as a celebration though. :smile:

That's pretty smooth :biggrin:
So, I'm a bit of a retarded first year.

On myed, in the results section, does the mark/grade thing include both the exam and coursework, or is it just the exam result? (If that makes sense :tongue:)
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
So, I'm a bit of a retarded first year.

On myed, in the results section, does the mark/grade thing include both the exam and coursework, or is it just the exam result? (If that makes sense :tongue:)

It's an average of everything over the year, they normally give you a breakdown at some point though.
Original post by dothestrand
It's an average of everything over the year, they normally give you a breakdown at some point though.

Just wondering, essay due 12 noon, submitted at 12:01 exactly but I saw that the woman collected a stack of essays from the box before I submitted. Would that count as one day late or...?
Another question guys!

I'm so puzzled atm. I've got an essay, all finished and ready to hand in, (albeit a day late) but all of the buildings are closed! How am I supposed to hand it in and not incur further penalties?!
Another question guys!

I'm so puzzled atm. I've got an essay, all finished and ready to hand in, (albeit a day late) but all of the buildings are closed! How am I supposed to hand it in and not incur further penalties?!

Some departments only penalise based on working days.
Some departments only penalise based on working days.

Yeah, I was literally just reading about this. Phewww. Panic over.
Another question guys!

I'm not entirely sure but I think the late penalties only apply on working days so Sunday definitely does not count as a day and Saturday probably doesn't either. Check your course handbook or your overall handbook; it should detail how late penalties work in there :smile:.

EDIT: Just realised your question has already been answered :p:
Original post by Emmie3303
I'm not entirely sure but I think the late penalties only apply on working days so Sunday definitely does not count as a day and Saturday probably doesn't either. Check your course handbook or your overall handbook; it should detail how late penalties work in there :smile:.

EDIT: Just realised your question has already been answered :p:

I've always assumed that this is why many courses have deadlines on Wednesdays or Thursdays - it means that the classic one-day-late students don't actually get a whole weekend to work on their essay with only a 5% penalty.
I've always assumed that this is why many courses have deadlines on Wednesdays or Thursdays - it means that the classic one-day-late students don't actually get a whole weekend to work on their essay with only a 5% penalty.

That does seem to make sense. I always thought that Friday deadlines would encourage people to spend an extra few days on their essay as the penalty wouldn't be that large.
I am so bored and yet I have so many assignments and chapters to study.
Another question guys!

Hate to bring bad news, but it does depend on the department whether you'll get penalised. For example, DELC counts weekends as working days. I managed to argue my case and have them give me a 1-day penalty instead of a 3-day one (I had a reason for handing it in late which would have got me an extension anyway), but they say in the handbook that weekends are considered working days. Which is stupid, because nobody is working and the office is closed. Their attitude was that I should have emailed it, despite them saying that they don't accept emailed submissions. Good luck, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending