The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeismicHazard
Glad I'm not the only one! Not quite sure what was "innovative" about the whole thing.

Well given that I'm in Italy practising Italian (and having many cultural experiences, e.g. making pizza...) it seems very innovative! :P
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by lizfairy
Well given that I'm in Italy practising Italian (and having many cultural experiences, e.g. making pizza...) it seems very innovative! :P

Sounds lovely, but don't see much point in a mid-semester holiday...

I spent the week going to lectures, just on slightly different subjects to what I normally would. Your week sounds more fun than mine! :wink:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Sounds lovely, but don't see much point in a mid-semester holiday...

Well I'm in a long distance relationship so it was a good opportunity to see my boyfriend, given that part of my degree is Italian I see no harm :smile:
Well I'm in a long distance relationship so it was a good opportunity to see my boyfriend, given that part of my degree is Italian I see no harm :smile:

Yeah... but getting a chance to see your boyfriend shouldn't come part and parcel of your degree in my opinion. You shouldn't be getting designated time in your degree for you to go off on holiday to see him. That's extra curricular, essentially, not part of your degree.

I was in a long distance relationship whilst at university (we're now no longer LDR as of two weeks ago, yay!!) and it'd have been plain odd if the university had given me time out of lectures to see the boyfriend and called it "learning" as technically, I'm sure I could have done something either linguistics or anthropology related during a week of seeing him. That's what the holidays and weekends are for, not the money that I'd paid for tuition fees.

I just don't get this learning week at all from what I've heard of it through friends and on here. Why don't they just close uni for a week and call it half term? That'd be cheaper!

I think there's a world of difference between 'no harm' and actually being useful. First year UG me would probably have gone home during this week, rather like a lot of my residents have done. 4th year UG me would probably have gone to some of the events, watched some TV and worked on my dissertation. I actually ended up going to a full load of classes (various reasons meant that our staff didn't feel able to skip a week of teaching), as well as preparing a conference paper and going to a two day conference. This was interesting and fun - but I didn't actually need a dedicated week for it - I would have done it anyway. So no criticism of what you did with your week - I just think it's a bit daft to provide a week for people to go on holiday - there's precious little teaching time already and while this week hasn't come at the expense of that, it does seem to devalue it.
This might be a long shot, but since I've never done a masters...

If I were to study an MSc by Research in Philosophy at Edinburgh, how many hours each week would I be expected to/should aim to put into the course?
I'm basically wondering if I can continue working freelance part-time whilst doing the MSc.
Original post by Kater Murr
This might be a long shot, but since I've never done a masters...

If I were to study an MSc by Research in Philosophy at Edinburgh, how many hours each week would I be expected to/should aim to put into the course?
I'm basically wondering if I can continue working freelance part-time whilst doing the MSc.

Realistically that wouldn't be a problem (unless we have vastly different interpretations of "part time"). My impression is that MSc by Research (bearing in mind I'm from a slightly different discipline, though) probably need not spend more than a "working week" (ie, about 40 hours) on their stuff - and quite possibly less. You might want to work less in the summer when you're writing up your dissertation but there should easily be time.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Realistically that wouldn't be a problem (unless we have vastly different interpretations of "part time"). My impression is that MSc by Research (bearing in mind I'm from a slightly different discipline, though) probably need not spend more than a "working week" (ie, about 40 hours) on their stuff - and quite possibly less. You might want to work less in the summer when you're writing up your dissertation but there should easily be time.

Well, by part-time I meant around 20 hours - enough to keep my head above water - which would mean quite a busy life, but you're right - it sounds do-able.
Senior honours project submitted. :biggrin:
Original post by Rainfaery

Good for you! Have just taught my final class of the year. Now to actually get on with the stuff I get marks for...
Still 3 weeks left, whyyyyyy.
Original post by dothestrand
Still 3 weeks left, whyyyyyy.

At the moment I'm feeling more like "There's only three weeks left, aaah!" I just feel like I've got so much left to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by daeonica
At the moment I'm feeling more like "There's only three weeks left, aaah!" I just feel like I've got so much left to do.

I've still got two essays and two oral exams to do but time just seems to be getting slower and slower. Then I realise in 3 weeks, I'll only have one year of teaching left actually at university and I panic.
Original post by Rainfaery

I can't believe you graduate this year.
I feel as though it was only the other day when you were applying to Edinburgh and then started... and now you're graduating.

This is the point when I start to see how long I've been on TSR when people who I was helping out with their applications are the ones who are now graduating.
Does anyone know any cheap, decent hairdressers? Normally I'd just go at home but I've had enough, and I swear everyone I know spends way too much just on their hair.
Original post by dothestrand
Does anyone know any cheap, decent hairdressers? Normally I'd just go at home but I've had enough, and I swear everyone I know spends way too much just on their hair.

Snapfax often do some quite good deals that you can only use once as a new customer. It was never as cheap as I'd pay at home, but around £20 which isn't too bad.

Loads of them just say "50% off" though so ask them when you call what their prices would be (you have to describe your hair) and some places will charge you LOADS extra for things like drying your hair for you after they've cut it, so just check what it includes and they often have cheaper appointments during the day as most people who have jobs can't go at those times.
Original post by oxymoronic
I can't believe you graduate this year.
I feel as though it was only the other day when you were applying to Edinburgh and then started... and now you're graduating.

This is the point when I start to see how long I've been on TSR when people who I was helping out with their applications are the ones who are now graduating.

It still feels a bit surreal to me too. :tongue: I am graduating in three years, though, so it's not quite as bad as it could be!

Bit terrified of starting my PhD though. :redface:
Nasty shock as it appears I have double the amount of exams I was anticipating. Gah.
My last (and hardest) exam is a whole week after the rest of mine finish. Like a bowssss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending